IT Help Desk and System Information Tool

ken82m

This script will collect both hardware and software information and displays the information in a GUI window.

Upon hitting the "Launch Help Desk Request Form" button the information is stored it in the clipboard and an web page launched.

My html form retrieves the configuration information information and writes it to a text box.

I have deployed this tool across 600 computers and it has been extremely useful.

Certainly better than calling a user with some basic questions :)

The tool can be easily expanded to retrieve additional user information.

Future Release

Soon I will setup my html form to accept passed paramters. I will then use this script to pull user information (First Name, Last Name, Phone etc.) directly from Active Directory.

In this way the form will be almost entirely filled out with the exception of the problem description.

Help_Desk_Tool.zip

"I believe that when we leave a place, part of it goes with us and part of us remains... Go anywhere, when it is quiet, and just listen.. After a while, you will hear the echoes of all our conversations, every thought and word we've exchanged.... Long after we are gone our voices will linger in these walls for as long as this place remains."

• 2 weeks later...

Handy script indeed..

i would add/change something

; the following will add 64bits supported oses

$HKCU = "HKEY_CURRENT_USER" 
$HKLM = "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" 
$HKU = "HKEY_USERS"
$HKCU = "HKEY_CURRENT_USER"
$HKCR = "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT"
$HKCC = "HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG"

If @ProcessorArch = "X64"  Then
   $HKCU = "HKEY_CURRENT_USER64" 
   $HKLM = "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE64" 
   $HKU = "HKEY_USERS64"
   $HKCU = "HKEY_CURRENT_USER64"
   $HKCR = "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT64"
   $HKCC = "HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG64"
EndIf

; an changed example from your code
$Page = RegRead($HKLM & "\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management", "PagingFiles")

Best regards,Emiel Wieldraaijer

• 2 weeks later...

lol

It was something specific to us, SAP had a plugin for excel that was always blowing up so checking the actual version of Excel was very useful. Gues I should have converted it to office before posting.

Thanks for the tip on the 64bit machines, I'll add that.

I honestly have not hit any 64-bit OS's yes I'm ashamed to say, so I had no idea. Good thing to keep in the back of my mind though.

-Kenny

Edited by ken82m

"I believe that when we leave a place, part of it goes with us and part of us remains... Go anywhere, when it is quiet, and just listen.. After a while, you will hear the echoes of all our conversations, every thought and word we've exchanged.... Long after we are gone our voices will linger in these walls for as long as this place remains."