When I say "hassle" I mean:
- Dragging the computer next to the TV
- Plugging in an external hard drive containing the videos (if need be)
- Plugging in the video cable from the TV to the computer (ie. VGA or S-Video)
- Plugging in headphones (so not to wake up the rest of the family)
- Switching the computer's resolution to match the TV (for the best picture quality)
- Switching the computer's display across to the external TV
- Finding the video on the computer
- Playing the video
Then once the video has finished:
- Closing the video player
- Switch the display back to the computer
- Switch the computer's resolution back to normal
- Unplug headphones
- Unplug video cable
- Spindown or place in Standby the external hard drive (if need be)
- Unplug the external hard drive
- Carry the computer back to where it came from
I think there are some people out there who can relate to what I'm talking about here.
I really enjoy watching videos on an external TV directly from my computer, but all the hassles above sometimes turn me off, and I'd rather go straight to bed.
This script tries to automate some of these manual tasks.
If enough people find the concept useful, then I can make the script more generic to handle a bigger variety of configurations.
- AutoIt3 3.2 or higher,
- A command line tool to switch your computer to an external display (igfxcfg.exe is recommended for mobile Intel chipsets)
- A multimedia player
- A command line tool to put your external drive into standby / spindown (ie. sdparm.exe)
- An external TV or monitor with a native 1920 x 1080 pixel resolution
- An external (USB) hard drive
The tool automates a number of the manual tasks that I perform every time I watch a video on an external TV, and after I finish watching the video. These include:
- Displaying a single list of videos from different sources (computer and external hard drive) for easy selection by the user.
- Automatically closing your Instant Messenger after a video is selected (to avoid interruptions whilst viewing a video).
- Automatically switching the display to a resolution of 1920 x 1080 32 bit (HD TV) after a video is selected.
- Automatically switching the display to the external TV after a video is selected.
- Automatically playing the video after the display has been switched to the external TV.
- Automatically switching the display back to the computer after the TV Player has been closed.
- Automatically placing the external disk drive into Standby Mode after the TV Player has been closed, such that it can be disconnected quickly.
Latest Version - v0.3 (12/02/12)
TV Player.au3 15.8KB 327 downloads
SoundGetSetQuery.au3 attached below for convenience
SoundGetSetQuery.au3 55.34KB 377 downloads
Edited by seangriffin, 12 February 2012 - 11:01 AM.