This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more here. X
X

Photo

autoit for linux

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
73 replies to this topic

#1 trickytroy

trickytroy

Seeker

• Active Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 03:00 PM

I've done a little research and I found bash, but it seems harder. I think it would be a great idea to have Autoit for Linux. Post your input.

Edited by trickytroy, 09 May 2005 - 03:00 PM.

Posted ImageRandy:This is for what?! Arresting me for what?! I'm not allowed to stand up for myself?! I thought this was America! Huh? Isn't this America?! I'm sorry! I thought this was America!

#2 MSLx Fanboy

MSLx Fanboy

Local $Clue = 0

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 03:38 PM

Windows scripting is something completely different from a linux scripting language. That said, it would be terribly difficult to write a script for Windows, and port it to Linux, heck, it might as well be practically impossible.

You would be better off writing a C or C++ (or any other OS/hardware -independent language) program, and compiling/running it on the machine.
Writing AutoIt scripts since
_DateAdd("d", -2, _NowCalcDate())

#3 iceberg

iceberg

Universalist

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 02:06 PM

idea seems good. wishing for that too....but i guess its somewhat impossible.
mouse not found....scroll any mouse to continue.

#4 Nutster

Nutster

Developer at Large

• Developers
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 03:13 PM

If you want to port it to KDE or GNOME (which I think have different graphics message maps), go for it! :(

David Nuttall

Nuttall Computer Consulting

An Aquarius born during the Age of Aquarius
AutoIt allows me to re-invent the wheel so much faster.

I'm off to write a wizard, a wonderful wizard of odd...

#5 Smed

Smed

Polymath

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 12:09 AM

Hmmm... I hear the windows emulators are getting pretty good these days... Someone was telling me that they're even starting to support DirectX. I can't verify this, as none of my Linux boxes even has a GUI installed.

Waste of CPU cycles, I say. :(
601DisengageEnd Program

#6 MSLx Fanboy

MSLx Fanboy

Local $Clue = 0

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 01:57 AM

Not that I'm aware of...heck, every time I try to install it spits back the rpm, god forbid wine from letting me 'make' the source :(

#7 Smed

Smed

Polymath

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 05:38 AM

Not that I'm aware of...heck, every time I try to install it spits back the rpm, god forbid wine from letting me 'make' the sourceĀ  :(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm 'Package Manager Impaired', if I can't compile and install from original source, its either not worth having or the platform is flawed. After reading your post, I downloaded the 20050419 source for Wine and found it wouldn't compile out of the box.

'./configure' popped a couple of idiot light warnings about the X libs not being present, which I knew already. 'make depend' ran fine. 'make' choked on the ddraw_test code being missing or maybe missplaced.

In the programs/winetest directory edit Makefile and winetest.rc to remove the ddraw_test entries and it compiles just fine.

Of course I can't actually use it (for the reason mentioned above), but it did compile.

Core platform is: Slackware 9.1
Possibly relevent Custom compiled Mods/Upgrades are:
binutils-2.15
bison-1.875
gcc-3.4.2
linux-2.6.9

The first (and only) time I ever tried to use RedHat, it choked on my custom compiled kernel, and I swore I'd never use it again. Slackware has never failed me in that respect.

Edited by Smed, 11 May 2005 - 05:39 AM.

601DisengageEnd Program

#8 MSLx Fanboy

MSLx Fanboy

Local $Clue = 0

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 07:18 PM

I stick with RedHat and Fedora, but I have to switch to SuSe because that America's Army game doesn't work on RHL-based builds for some god-forsaken reason :(

Next time I set up a linux box, I'll test...I don't have one at the moment...

Edited by MSLx Fanboy, 11 May 2005 - 07:18 PM.

#9 /dev/null

/dev/null

Universalist

• MVPs
  • 2,946 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 03:35 AM

I've done a little research and I found bash, but it seems harder.  I think it would be a great idea to have Autoit for Linux.  Post your input.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What's wrong with perl, python and ruby on linux? You don't need to programm bash/shell scripts.
__________________________________________________________(l)user: Hey admin slave, how can I recover my deleted files?admin: No problem, there is a nice tool. It's called rm, like recovery method. Make sure to call it with the "recover fast" option like this: rm -rf *

#10 piccaso

piccaso

Rock me, Amadeus!

• MVPs
  • 893 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 10:46 AM

bash aint harder to learn than autoit.
the function names are shorter and you cant compile them... (i think)
i like to use php, its realy easy but the function names are chaotic :(

so does it run on wine?
i only have a active webserver, cant play around there...
Posted Image CoProc Multi Process Helper libraryTrashBin.nfshost.com store your AutoIt related files here!AutoIt User Map

#11 ioctl

ioctl

Seeker

• Active Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 07:16 AM

I think its great the idea of autoit for Linux. Anyone make it work ?

#12 beerman

beerman

Blurry

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,501 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 07:34 AM

autoit on linux may sound like a wonderful thing. like Nutster said which gui are you going to nail autoit to. besides they change the gui version alot on kde and gnome not to mention others. the other question you have to be asked what version and type of linux are you gonna use it on? go here for an idea o what i mean linux distros. hey how about an (Autoit Linux OS) it sets itself up and asks no questions and tells no lies. ;)
shoot_zpsfd329d66.png
dontbelieveeverythingyouthink_zps0e1e900

#13 iceberg

iceberg

Universalist

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 12:45 PM

one year on....no picture...no sound....
mouse not found....scroll any mouse to continue.

#14 /dev/null

/dev/null

Universalist

• MVPs
  • 2,946 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 12:51 PM

one year on....no picture...no sound....

hm... maybe because there is no real need for it???

Cheers
Kurt
__________________________________________________________(l)user: Hey admin slave, how can I recover my deleted files?admin: No problem, there is a nice tool. It's called rm, like recovery method. Make sure to call it with the "recover fast" option like this: rm -rf *

#15 SlimShady

SlimShady

AutoIt lover

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 01:09 PM

idea seems good. wishing for that too....but i guess its somewhat impossible.

the devs won't do it. will you?

#16 Uten

Uten

stupid is as stupid does..

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,989 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 02:04 PM

hm... maybe because there is no real need for it???

Cheers
Kurt

Probably because it is allready there. It's called Tcl/Tk

#17 jftuga

jftuga

Universalist

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 02:45 PM

I would say that there is not much need for AutoIt under Linux. For *almost* every GUI app under Linux, there is also a way to accomplish the same thing with a command-line program. For everything else, you would have to tie it into a framework like KDE or Gnome (as mentioned before). These change often (as also mentioned before).

What would you do with AutoIt / Linux that you couldn't do from a command-line?

-John

#18 cppman

cppman

Anonymous

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,626 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 05:10 AM

I suppose this is a somewhat good idea. But most linux "fanatics" will say that would much rather stick with c++.

Why does it have to support GUI's? Why not port it over to just some basic functions:

ConsoleWrite()
ConsoleRead()
FileDelete()
FileOpen()

-----

#19 dabus

dabus

Universalist

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 07:57 AM

Sorry, don't get it. You got pipes, rm, cat, and you can redirect output and errorstreams to files. Don't get me wrong, AutoIt is really nice, but with some little bash-scripts and the tons of commandline-tools you can really do something. :) And even if it may seem funny, I found many of the things I missed in the windows-world on freshmeat.net. So there was no need to search for an easy, good documented lang (the helpfile the comes with autoit was my reason to stick with it :P )

... btw.: I think there was a tool that was able to manipulate/check for windows, but I can't find it. :D
zenity is a good start if you just like to have some boxes and dialogs.
(I don't use those d'n'd-gui-wizzards, but I think they are a good starting-point)

Edited by dabus, 13 September 2006 - 08:02 AM.

#20 Azu

Azu

=^.^=

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 09:59 PM

If would be cool a Linux version of aut2exe was made called aut2lin or something and it compiled the script to Linux code instead of Windows code.

I hope some of the devs read this topic. O_o

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users