This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more here. X
X

Photo

autoit for linux

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
73 replies to this topic

#61 GaryFrost

GaryFrost

I don't need your attitude. I have one of my own

• Developers
  • 7,854 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 01:11 PM

AutoIt = Windows Automation Scripting Language

Would you adapt a bulldozer to work in the ocean?

Lar.

I'm going to Hedge my bet the some would :)

SciTE for AutoItDirections for Submitting Standard UDFs

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.

#62 Uten

Uten

stupid is as stupid does..

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,989 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 01:42 PM

I know it can't all be ported.
We are just asking for a Linux version of that one single file to made. It's about 211KB.

You all start flaming at us over such a simple request, and then blame us for defending ourselves. Why?

And why do you keep telling me to make it myself? I thought I already clarified that I don't know how, and that I thought the dev team probably could.

:) Oh, man you just keep it coming don't you. "You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile", right?

Edited by Uten, 16 September 2006 - 01:44 PM.

#63 /dev/null

/dev/null

Universalist

• MVPs
  • 2,946 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 02:50 PM

We are just asking for a Linux version of that one single file to made. It's about 211KB.

You simply don't get it!

Requesting the linux version of "just" that one single file of 211KB ist idiotic! Sorry, I can't say it in any other way.

Bye, Bye
Kurt

Edited by /dev/null, 16 September 2006 - 03:02 PM.

__________________________________________________________(l)user: Hey admin slave, how can I recover my deleted files?admin: No problem, there is a nice tool. It's called rm, like recovery method. Make sure to call it with the "recover fast" option like this: rm -rf *

#64 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 September 2006 - 02:52 PM

*Should have been Skit.*

Forum: Hey why don’t you write Autoit for Linux, Opt, Multi-threading?

Devs: It’s not feasible for us to do that . Too many complications, too many bugs, some we don’t need and Jon has decided that it just won’t be done.

Forum: But why? It can be done.

Devs. Maybe so, but that will be for someone else to write. Not us.

Forum: Ok. Too Bad.

*subject change*

Forum: Hey so and so, How’s the weather where you are?

#65 /dev/null

/dev/null

Universalist

• MVPs
  • 2,946 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 02:56 PM

Would you adapt a bulldozer to work in the ocean?

Lar.

I'm going to Hedge my bet the some would :P

Yep, at least two did :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/moomy/25358580/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/msconsulting/8116564/

Cheers
Kurt

Edited by /dev/null, 16 September 2006 - 03:41 PM.

__________________________________________________________(l)user: Hey admin slave, how can I recover my deleted files?admin: No problem, there is a nice tool. It's called rm, like recovery method. Make sure to call it with the "recover fast" option like this: rm -rf *

#66 Valik

Valik

Former developer.

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,879 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 03:25 PM

Valik seems to be speaking for the whole dev team, and has made it quite obvious that he thinks it would waste waaaay to much of his (and the dev team
s) precious time to make a Linux version of a little 211kb file, even though it would be very useful and appreciated. Thus comes the conclusion of "lazy".

Idiot, that "little 211 KB file" is actually > 400KB uncompressed and it comes from nearly 2 MB of source code estimated at around 70,000 lines (Link here). That little file is where almost all the work we do on AutoIt goes. It's fair to say that little file is AutoIt. So learn something about software development before you open your idiot-hole again.

Edit: Found the link and the quote and added it in as well as another sentence.

Edited by Valik, 16 September 2006 - 03:31 PM.

#67 Azu

Azu

=^.^=

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 03:40 PM

Okay I'm sorry. I guess I got over enthusiastic. =/

#68 /dev/null

/dev/null

Universalist

• MVPs
  • 2,946 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 04:45 PM

i'll have to think harder next time.

or search flickr for the key words beforehand.

Cheers
Kurt

#69 The Kandie Man

The Kandie Man

All Your Base Are Belong To Us

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 07:36 AM

For the record, I am not a developer. I am an amateur programmer/scripter and High School Student.

Autoit scripts run by using the autoit executable as a script host. A script host is something that reads a script and actually does what the script says because the script itself is simply text and a computer processor can't read your script directly. It needs a binary application to read it, interpret it, and tell the processor what to do. In this case, it is autoit.exe.

This means that the autoit.exe interprets what the script is saying and then calls system API functions and various other things to perform the task.

To give you an idea, the system functions for doing something on each operating system are about as different as a whale and an octopus.

To create a process on windows you do this:
BOOL WINAPI CreateProcess(   LPCTSTR lpApplicationName,   LPTSTR lpCommandLine,   LPSECURITY_ATTRIBUTES lpProcessAttributes,   LPSECURITY_ATTRIBUTES lpThreadAttributes,   BOOL bInheritHandles,   DWORD dwCreationFlags,   LPVOID lpEnvironment,   LPCTSTR lpCurrentDirectory,   LPSTARTUPINFO lpStartupInfo,   LPPROCESS_INFORMATION lpProcessInformation );

To create a process on linux you do this:
int clone(int (*fn)(void *), void *child_stack, int flags, void *arg); _syscall2(int, clone, int, flags, void *, child_stack) _syscall5(int, clone, int, flags, void *, child_stack, int *, parent_tidptr, struct user_desc *, newtls, int *, child_tidptr)

As you can see, the simple task of creating a process is completely different for both operating systems.

The only way to port autoit to linux(you need to port autoit to linux in order to compile autoit scripts for linux) would be to completely re-write autoit from scratch and attempt to replicate all the functions it currently has now with linux which simply won't happen since linux doesn't even have the same operating system functions(API functions) as windows.

Therefore it just won't work. I hope that helps anyone who is confused about why you can't simply convert an autoit script to linux.

I hope that helps anyone who is still confused about this matter.
"So man has sown the wind and reaped the world. Perhaps in the next few hours there will no remembrance of the past and no hope for the future that might have been." & _"All the works of man will be consumed in the great fire after which he was created." & _"And if there is a future for man, insensitive as he is, proud and defiant in his pursuit of power, let him resolve to live it lovingly, for he knows well how to do so." & _"Then he may say once more, 'Truly the light is sweet, and what a pleasant thing it is for the eyes to see the sun.'" - The Day the Earth Caught Fire

#70 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 September 2006 - 01:29 PM

Idiot, that "little 211 KB file" is actually > 400KB uncompressed and it comes from nearly 2 MB of source code estimated at around 70,000 lines (Link here). That little file is where almost all the work we do on AutoIt goes. It's fair to say that little file is AutoIt. So learn something about software development before you open your idiot-hole again.

Edit: Found the link and the quote and added it in as well as another sentence.

I sure hope the rest of the development team aren't like you Valik, because you always seem to come across as a class-A jerk. Try living life without that big chip on your shoulder, you might enjoy it and you'll attract more friends.

#71 Valik

Valik

Former developer.

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,879 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 02:41 PM

What makes you think I want more friends? Oh, I know, you're just another idiot who thinks they know how every single human being on the planet should be and since I don't fit that mold I'm something terrible and have problems and I should change to conform to your ridiculous standards, is that it?

#72 nfwu

nfwu

I'm not active on these forums

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 12:24 AM

I sure hope the rest of the development team aren't like you Valik, because you always seem to come across as a class-A jerk. Try living life without that big chip on your shoulder, you might enjoy it and you'll attract more friends.

When you ASSUME, you make an ASS out of U and ME.

(Leave out the ME part)

#)

#73 neuro

neuro

Seeker

• Active Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 07:37 AM

What's so difficult to understand about this request? Those flamming it are taking it far to litteraly. Its scripting concepts are what could be transfered over to the Linux operating system. He wasn't saying I want my AutoIt3 code for windows to work on Linux. He was saying I would like to be able to control the linux operating system the same way as I can with AutoIt & Windows. Valik I suppose people like you are necessary to fuel those that will inevitably prove you wrong and for that I thank you.

#74 Valik

Valik

Former developer.

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,879 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 02:39 PM

Hey dumbass, I've said repeatedly the concepts won't translate over too well because it's a different operating system with different needs. I suggest you read, and comprehend.

Anyway, I'm locking this thread because idiots continue to want to comment in it despite the fact that we've said a few thousand times we're not going to do it. Not only that, it's in the sticky of things that won't be done so there's no reason to discuss it further.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users