FileSystemMonitor UDF

seangriffin

I get this error when opening some applications

See attached png image

Hi ripdad,

I've moved this script into a UDF now. Currently at v0.3 with lots of fixes. See how you go now.

Cheers,

Sean.

Cheers, Sean.

See my other UDFs:

Chrome UDF - Automate Chrome | SAP UDF - Automate SAP | Java UDF - Automate Java Applications & Applets | Tesseract (OCR) UDF - Capture text from applications, controls and the desktop | Textract (OCR) UDF - Capture text from applications and controls | FileSystemMonitor UDF - File, Folder, Drive and Shell Monitoring | VLC (Media Player) UDF - Creating and controlling a VLC control in AutoIT | Google Maps UDF - Creating and controlling Google Maps (inc. GE) in AutoIT | SAPIListBox (Speech Recognition) UDF - Speech Recognition via the Microsoft Speech (SAPI) ListBox | eBay UDF - Automate eBay using the eBay API | ChildProc (Parallel Processing) UDF - Parallel processing functions for AutoIT | HyperCam (Screen Recording) UDF - Automate the HyperCam screen recorder | Twitter UDF - Automate Twitter using OAuth and the Twitter API | cURL UDF - a UDF for transferring data with URL syntax

See my other Tools:

Rapid Menu Writer - Add menus to DVDs in seconds | TV Player - Automates the process of playing videos on an external TV / Monitor | Rapid Video Converter - A tool for resizing and reformatting videos | [topic130531]Rapid DVD Creator - Convert videos to DVD fast and for free | ZapPF - A tool for killing processes and recycling files | Sean's eBay Bargain Hunter - Find last minute bargains in eBay using AutoIT | Sean's GUI Inspector - A scripting tool for querying GUIs | TransLink Journey Planner with maps - Incorporating Google Maps into an Australian Journey Planner | Automate Qt and QWidgets | Brisbane City Council Event Viewer - See what's going on in Brisbane, Australia

I got the same problem... I delete the file using Windows Explorer, and use the $monitor_type = 3 but it only report drive free space has changed.

There was a bug in the UDF where monitoring wasn't working after a change to the monitoring path. It's fixed in v0.3. Alot of other problems have been fixed in v0.3. I've done many tests on this version, using the two examples provided at the top of this topic, and it's looking good. I haven't been able to break it yet, or seen any such bugs.

Cheers, Sean.

See my other UDFs:

Chrome UDF - Automate Chrome | SAP UDF - Automate SAP | Java UDF - Automate Java Applications & Applets | Tesseract (OCR) UDF - Capture text from applications, controls and the desktop | Textract (OCR) UDF - Capture text from applications and controls | FileSystemMonitor UDF - File, Folder, Drive and Shell Monitoring | VLC (Media Player) UDF - Creating and controlling a VLC control in AutoIT | Google Maps UDF - Creating and controlling Google Maps (inc. GE) in AutoIT | SAPIListBox (Speech Recognition) UDF - Speech Recognition via the Microsoft Speech (SAPI) ListBox | eBay UDF - Automate eBay using the eBay API | ChildProc (Parallel Processing) UDF - Parallel processing functions for AutoIT | HyperCam (Screen Recording) UDF - Automate the HyperCam screen recorder | Twitter UDF - Automate Twitter using OAuth and the Twitter API | cURL UDF - a UDF for transferring data with URL syntax

See my other Tools:

Rapid Menu Writer - Add menus to DVDs in seconds | TV Player - Automates the process of playing videos on an external TV / Monitor | Rapid Video Converter - A tool for resizing and reformatting videos | [topic130531]Rapid DVD Creator - Convert videos to DVD fast and for free | ZapPF - A tool for killing processes and recycling files | Sean's eBay Bargain Hunter - Find last minute bargains in eBay using AutoIT | Sean's GUI Inspector - A scripting tool for querying GUIs | TransLink Journey Planner with maps - Incorporating Google Maps into an Australian Journey Planner | Automate Qt and QWidgets | Brisbane City Council Event Viewer - See what's going on in Brisbane, Australia

I use your example on the first post. :idea:

So yes ...

Another question about the UDF.

Is it possible to have the name of a modified (content) file?

Checkout the latest version of the UDF (0.3), and the two examples provided. I've done lots of fixes and hopefully it's working now.

The UDF does currently report the names of files who's time stamp or attributes have changed. I just tried this myself, by running example #2 above, opening a text file in notepad, changing it's text and saving it. The result is it's last modified timestamp changes, and the script catches this and displays the change. It gives the filename also.

The following website explains in more detail what actions are monitored for directory changes:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa364391(v=VS.85).aspx

Cheers, Sean.

See my other UDFs:

See my other Tools:

Hi Sean - keep up the good work!

Here's my findings:

1. Still having the same AutoIt error - even with something as simple as clicking on the Windows solitaire game.

2. "FileSystemMonitor Explorer example.au3" has a typo error ...

"Case $LVN_ENDLABELEDIT" - should be --> "Case $LVN_ENDLABELEDITA"

3. See this image:

post-55206-12727431321081_thumb.png

"The mediocre teacher tells. The Good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires." -William Arthur Ward

+1

But for the update of FileSystemMonitor.au3 and the FileSystemMonitor example.au3, I'm really impress so tank you very much for your wonderful work.

Best Regards.Thierry

Nicely done, thanks for sharing Sean.

3. See this image:

The fix is to either comment out or delete this line
;_GUICtrlListView_SetUnicodeFormat($directory_listview, False)
or change to
_GUICtrlListView_SetUnicodeFormat($directory_listview, True)

scratch all that

-EDIT 3-

I believe I found the trouble-maker for Number 1 ..

"$SHCNE_EXTENDED_EVENT = 0x04000000" plus a unlisted "event item" = crash!

So .. what is the extended event? <grin>

$fs_event.item(Hex(0x04000000)) = "PROGRAM_EXECUTE|EXTENDED_EVENT"

Any Votes? :idea:

Edited by ripdad

"The mediocre teacher tells. The Good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires." -William Arthur Ward

Hi Sean - keep up the good work!

Here's my findings:

1. Still having the same AutoIt error - even with something as simple as clicking on the Windows solitaire game.

2. "FileSystemMonitor Explorer example.au3" has a typo error ...

"Case $LVN_ENDLABELEDIT" - should be --> "Case $LVN_ENDLABELEDITA"

3. See this image:

Thanks! :idea:

1. The cause seems to be "_GUICtrlListView_SetUnicodeFormat($directory_listview, False)", found above by picaxe. I don't get a garbled display myself. Maybe coz I'm not using Unicode fonts? Not sure. There was a a reason thought for including this line, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was! I recall something doesn't work if it's excluded. But I've excluded it just now, and everything seems to still work, so I'll leave it out. Will update the example above shortly.

2. I don't think this is a typo. It came from one of the listview examples in the AutoIT Help file. I've also confirmed in "ListViewConstants.au3" that this is correct:

Global Const $LVN_ENDLABELEDITA = ($LVN_FIRST - 6) ; The label editting is ending
Global Const $LVN_ENDLABELEDITW = ($LVN_FIRST - 76) ; [Unicode] The label editting is ending
Global Const $LVN_ENDLABELEDIT = $LVN_ENDLABELEDITA
Edited by seangriffin

Cheers, Sean.

See my other UDFs:

See my other Tools:

scratch all that

-EDIT 3-

I believe I found the trouble-maker for Number 1 ..

"$SHCNE_EXTENDED_EVENT = 0x04000000" plus a unlisted "event item" = crash!

So .. what is the extended event? <grin>

$fs_event.item(Hex(0x04000000)) = "PROGRAM_EXECUTE|EXTENDED_EVENT"

Any Votes? :idea:

I think you raised a good point a few moments ago ripdad. I wasn't doing any error handling in the func "_FileSysMonActionEvent" for unexpected events. Yes as you said, the "StringSplit" was failing for a SHCNE_EXTENDED_EVENT. What a wierd event? :) MSDN's website mentions it, but it's description is "Not currently used.". Hmm. In any case, I'm going to whack a "if StringLen($fs_event.item(Hex($event_id))) > 0 Then" at the top of this code to ensure unexpected events don't crash it. Will update the topic shortly.

Cheers,

Sean.

Cheers, Sean.

See my other UDFs:

See my other Tools:

All I have in my copy of "ListViewConstants.au3" is:

Global Const $LVN_ENDLABELEDITA = ($LVN_FIRST - 6) ; The label editting is ending

Global Const $LVN_ENDLABELEDITW = ($LVN_FIRST - 76) ; [unicode] The label editting is ending

Also, I noticed according to the website that $SHCNE_EXTENDED_EVENT is not used.

But, evidently it is. I have no idea what it's "actually" doing.

I do know, that the only time I see it used is when I execute a program.

All I have in my copy of "ListViewConstants.au3" is:

Global Const $LVN_ENDLABELEDITW = ($LVN_FIRST - 76) ; [unicode] The label editting is ending

Also, I noticed according to the website that $SHCNE_EXTENDED_EVENT is not used.

But, evidently it is. I have no idea what it's "actually" doing.

I do know, that the only time I see it used is when I execute a program.

That's interesting. I think I'm running a version of AutoIT that's about 2 years old :idea: Sounds like the use of "$LVN_ENDLABELEDITA" is the safer bet. I'll go with that. Will update the example shortly. The update to the example will also ignore these other events, such as SHCNE_EXTENDED_EVENT. It will just report on the ones it knows about. Edited by seangriffin

Cheers, Sean.

See my other UDFs:

See my other Tools:

Version 0.4 is now available for download.

Changes include:

• Updated "FileSystemMonitor example.au3" to include an $event_id check and filter for unexpected events.
  • Fixed "FileSystemMonitor Explorer example.au3" to exclude the "_GUICtrlListView_SetUnicodeFormat" call.
  • Fixed "$LVN_ENDLABELEDIT" to be "$LVN_ENDLABELEDITA" in "FileSystemMonitor Explorer example.au3" for better compatibility.
Has that addressed all the issues thus far? Edited by seangriffin

Cheers, Sean.

See my other UDFs:

See my other Tools:

seangriffin

Has that addressed all the issues thus far?

yes, sure looks like it - thanks

yes, sure looks like it - thanks

Thank you everyone! :idea:

I have to say, I'm not easily impressed, but when I see people across the world devoting their valuable time to helping others such as myself, in a forum like this, that's something really amazing.

I started this file system monitoring script a couple of weeks ago, not expecting it to be that difficult. But it's been very rewarding going through the research and development of it for AutoIT. Now hopefully I can easily integrate it into my Rapid Video Converter (which was the whole reason this all came about in the first place). :)

Cheers, Sean.

See my other UDFs:

See my other Tools:

Wow! Thats pretty cool now and very easy to understand sine it's in the UDF format. Thanks for providing, will you lets us know when you finish the Rapid Video Converter?

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections() • _AlwaysRun() • _AppMon() • _AppMonEx() • _ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce • _BinaryBin() • _CheckMsgBox() • _CmdLineRaw() • _ContextMenu() • _ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor() • _DesktopDimensions() • _DisplayPassword() • _DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload() • _Fibonacci() • _FileCompare() • _FileCompareContents() • _FileNameByHandle() • _FilePrefix/SRE() • _FindInFile() • _GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor() • _GetConrolID() • _GetCtrlClass() • _GetDirectoryFormat() • _GetDriveMediaType() • _GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt() • _GetHardwareID() • _GetIP() • _GetIP_Country() • _GetOSLanguage() • _GetSavedSource() • _GetStringSize() • _GetSystemPaths() • _GetURLImage() • _GIFImage() • _GoogleWeather() • _GUICtrlCreateGroup() • _GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray() • _GUICtrlListView_CreateArray() • _GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV() • _GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML() • _GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt() • _GUICtrlListView_SaveXML() • _GUICtrlMenu_Recent() • _GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage() • _GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray() • _GUIDisable() • _GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle() • _GUIRegisterMsg() • _GUISetIcon() • _Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set() • _IdleTime() • _InetGet() • _InetGetGUI() • _InetGetProgress() • _IPDetails() • _IsFileOlder() • _IsGUID() • _IsHex() • _IsPalindrome() • _IsRegKey() • _IsStringRegExp() • _IsSystemDrive() • _IsUPX() • _IsValidType() • _IsWebColor() • _Language() • _Log() • _MicrosoftInternetConnectivity() • _MSDNDataType() • _PathFull/GetRelative/Split() • _PathSplitEx() • _PrintFromArray() • _ProgressSetMarquee() • _ReDim() • _RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock() • _ScrollingCredits • _SelfDelete() • _SelfRename() • _SelfUpdate() • _SendTo() • _ShellAll() • _ShellFile() • _ShellFolder() • _SingletonHWID() • _SingletonPID() • _Startup() • _StringCompact() • _StringIsValid() • _StringRegExpMetaCharacters() • _StringReplaceWholeWord() • _StringStripChars() • _Temperature() • _TrialPeriod() • _UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate() • _WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE() • _WinAPI_CreateGUID() • _WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString() • Au3 script parsing • AutoIt Search • AutoIt3 Portable • AutoIt3WrapperToPragma • AutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle() • Coding • DirToHTML5 • FileInstallr • FileReadLastChars() • GeoIP database • GUI - Only Close Button • GUI Examples • GUICtrlDeleteImage() • GUICtrlGetBkColor() • GUICtrlGetStyle() • GUIEvents • GUIGetBkColor() • Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse() • IsISBN() • LockFile() • Mapping CtrlIDs • OOP in AutoIt • ParseHeadersToSciTE() • PasswordValid • PasteBin • Posts Per Day • PreExpand • Protect Globals • Queue() • Resource Update • ResourcesEx • SciTE Jump • Settings INI • SHELLHOOK • Shunting-Yard • Signature Creator • Stack() • Stopwatch() • StringAddLF()/StringStripLF() • StringEOLToCRLF() • VSCROLL • WM_COPYDATA • More Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

Why use ansi constants / functions (LVN_ENDLABELEDITA) instead of the unicode versions? There's no reason not to make everything unicode compatible. Your current ansi version won't work right on other localized windows versions.

Why use ansi constants / functions (LVN_ENDLABELEDITA) instead of the unicode versions? There's no reason not to make everything unicode compatible. Your current ansi version won't work right on other localized windows versions.

Not sure what the issue is here. If you can point me at where the fault is in the script, and what the solution is, that would be good.

The LVN_ENDLABELEDIT / LVN_ENDLABELEDITA reference came straight from an example for the function "_GUICtrlListView_Create" in the AutoIT help file, v3.2.12.0.

Cheers, Sean.

See my other UDFs:

See my other Tools:

No errors, simply a compatibility issue. If you leave your listview in ANSI format and don't use Unicode notifications / messages, then it will not be able to display unicode file names. Since your monitor deals with files, paths, etc., being unicode compatible is important. As I said, any localized OS with unicode characters in the file names will not display correctly. I haven't looked through your UDF, but if the other DllCall's you use are not Unicode as well, then the whole thing could fail.

You should make sure all DllCall's use the unicode version of the function if there is one (W suffix), you use unicode notifications / messages (LVN_ENDLABELEDITW), and you set the listview to Unicode format with _GuiCtrlListView_SetUnicodeFormat (might be default anyway).