This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more here. X
X

Photo

Regular Expression Pattern Matching

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 flyingboz

flyingboz

The Network Is All

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 768 posts

Posted 15 December 2003 - 03:46 PM

Functionality I always like to have in my programming language is the capability to perform regular expression pattern matching. If anyone has already added this capability to AutoIt, I'd appreciate hearing about it before I go and re-invent a wheel.
Reading the help file before you post... Not only will it make you look smarter, it will make you smarter.

#2 beerman

beerman

Blurry

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,501 posts

Posted 15 December 2003 - 05:10 PM

from my best of understanding. regular experssion programming can get confusing fast. explain a little more as to what you are talking about because if it is anything like what i understand as to what you are saying. it could confuse you in a heart beat because regualr expression programming is nothing more than words that mean a function. so if you do this, how would someone denote the what to write. because same words different order new meaning. could get confusing fast.
soplease explain a little more as to what you mean?
shoot_zpsfd329d66.png
dontbelieveeverythingyouthink_zps0e1e900

#3 flyingboz

flyingboz

The Network Is All

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 768 posts

Posted 16 December 2003 - 09:08 PM

I think this is one of the quality discussions on what regular expressions are,
and how they make life worth living :whistle:

Regular Expressions

Think of wildcard characters on steroids.

Regular Expressions provide a powerful methodology to locate data that matches a given "pattern". These have long been utilized by such applications as grep, perl, vi to incredible effect.

The syntax is quite well defined and I believe could be implemented easily into a autoit3 command, probably by grabbing it from an open-source grep parser.

There is a RegEx VBScript object available, but I much prefer coding in Au3
Reading the help file before you post... Not only will it make you look smarter, it will make you smarter.

#4 beerman

beerman

Blurry

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,501 posts

Posted 16 December 2003 - 09:43 PM

isn't that why they have the if, do then things?, you can pretty much make up your own general expression lopp basicly. if john keeps autoit, like it is right now anyways. i mean pretty much the *.* stuff is nothing more than if and do and then. :whistle: don't know if this is correct but i am sure someone could explain it a little more.
shoot_zpsfd329d66.png
dontbelieveeverythingyouthink_zps0e1e900

#5 trids

trids

Hmmm .. and what have we here?

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 17 December 2003 - 06:29 AM

I'm hooked on Regular Expressions too. I think it depends on what/how you need to use them though.

For example, I use AI3 to drive the RegExp search/replace feature of my text-editor (TextPad) .. and it works like a dream. Meets all my RegExp needs, but it might be a different angle compared with where you're coming from.

Another alternative is to use grep for windows in an AI3 script (with or without a text-editor). Again .. depends on how you need to use the RegExps.

Edited by trids, 17 December 2003 - 06:33 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users