Running Au3 scripts under Linux

James

This post is about running AutoIt 3 scripts under Linux distributions.

Recently there has been an increase of questions regarding running AutoIt 3 scripts under Linux, so I thought I'd try and clear a few things up.

Is it possible to run AutoIt scripts under Linux?

Yes it is, although not advised as the outcome cannot be guaranteed to act the same as first programmed under the native OS; Windows.

How can I get my scripts running under my favourite distro?

The most common way is to use Wine. This Linux application emulates some of the Windows architecture for running EXE code. The second way is to make use of a Wine included OS such as Xandros or Lindows. I know they're both old but it's all I could think of, off the top of my head.

Why does AutoIt want to initialize a sound card /dev/snd/seq? This question is specific to a problem raised by a question in this forum

Like I said before, AutoIt is not designed to run under an emulated Windows environment, shit like this is possible. Next you'll be asking why it's trying to access your portable USB powered microwave.

Final note

Stop asking questions about it! Such queries would be applicable if there was an actual version of AutoIt for Linux, but there isn't. It's Windows, not OSX or Linux. So stop asking :x

Edited by JamesBrooks

• 8 months later...

I'm creating workaround UDFs for Linux users, just because people do use AutoIt with wine.

My UDFs are generally for me. If they aren't updated for a while, it means I'm not using them myself. As soon as I start using them again, they'll get updated.

My Projects

WhyNotWin11
Cisco FinesseGithubIRC UDFWindowEx UDF