Compare file date/time stamps

llewxam

I had to figure this out for a recent tweak on my Sync Tool script, not sure if it will be useful for anyone else or any other purpose but thought I'd share it. Some forum searching found a few returns on _Date_Time_CompareFileTime but I found it to be a difficult thing to get set up, now the work is done for you! :)

Make sure you #Include Date.au3, WinAPI.au3, and Array.au3 in your script as well.

Func _CompareFileTimeEx($hSource, $hDestination, $iMethod)
;   Parameters ....:    $hSource -      Full path to the first file
;                       $hDestination - Full path to the second file
;                       $iMethod -      0   The date and time the file was created
;                                       1   The date and time the file was accessed
;                                       2   The date and time the file was modified
;   Return values .:                    -1  First file time is earlier than second file time
;                                       0   First file time is equal to second file time
;                                       1   First file time is later than second file time
;   Author ........:    Ian Maxwell (llewxam @ AutoIt forum)
    Local $hCurrent[2] = [$hSource, $hDestination], $tPointer[2] = ["", ""]
    For $iPointerCount = 0 To 1
        $hFile = _WinAPI_CreateFile($hCurrent[$iPointerCount], 2)
        $aTime = _Date_Time_GetFileTime($hFile)
        _WinAPI_CloseHandle($hFile)
        $aDate = _Date_Time_FileTimeToStr($aTime[$iMethod])
        $tFile = _Date_Time_EncodeFileTime(StringMid($aDate, 1, 2), StringMid($aDate, 4, 2), StringMid($aDate, 7, 4), StringMid($aDate, 12, 2), StringMid($aDate, 15, 2), StringMid($aDate, 18, 2))
        $aDOS = _Date_Time_FileTimeToDOSDateTime(DllStructGetPtr($tFile))
        $tFileTime = _Date_Time_DOSDateTimeToFileTime("0x" & Hex($aDOS[0], 4), "0x" & Hex($aDOS[1], 4))
        $tPointer[$iPointerCount] = DllStructGetPtr($tFileTime)
    Next
    Return _Date_Time_CompareFileTime($tPointer[0], $tPointer[1])
EndFunc   ;==>_CompareFileTimeEx

Enjoy

Ian

My projects:

• IP Scanner - Multi-threaded ping tool to scan your available networks for used and available IP addresses, shows ping times, resolves IPs in to host names, and allows individual IPs to be pinged.
  • INFSniff - Great technicians tool - a tool which scans DriverPacks archives for INF files and parses out the HWIDs to a database file, and rapidly scans the local machine's HWIDs, searches the database for matches, and installs them.
  • PPK3 (Persistent Process Killer V3) - Another for the techs - suppress running processes that you need to keep away, helpful when fighting spyware/viruses.
  • Sync Tool - Folder sync tool with lots of real time information and several checking methods.
  • USMT Front End - Front End for Microsoft's User State Migration Tool, including all files needed for USMT 3.01 and 4.01, 32 bit and 64 bit versions.
  • Audit Tool - Computer audit tool to gather vital hardware, Windows, and Office information for IT managers and field techs. Capabilities include creating a customized site agent.
  • CSV Viewer - Displays CSV files with automatic column sizing and font selection. Lines can also be copied to the clipboard for data extraction.
  • MyDirStat - Lists number and size of files on a drive or specified path, allows for deletion within the app.
  • 2048 Game - My version of 2048, fun tile game.
  • Juice Lab - Ecigarette liquid making calculator.
  • Data Protector - Secure notes to save sensitive information.
  • VHD Footer - Add a footer to a forensic hard drive image to allow it to be mounted or used as a virtual machine hard drive.
  • Find in File - Searches files containing a specified phrase.

Nice idea! Here is another way to achieve the Function you created. :)

Function:

; #FUNCTION# ====================================================================================================================
; Name ..........: _FileCompare
; Description ...: Checks the date between two files.
; Syntax ........: _FileCompare($sSource, $sDestination[, $iMethod = 0])
; Parameters ....: $sSource             - A valid file path.
;                  $sDestination        - A valid file path.
;                  $iMethod             - [optional] The timestamp to check. See FileGetTime()'s options. Default is $FT_MODIFIED.
; Return values .: Success - -1 (File 1 is earlier than File 2.)
;                  0 (File 1 is equal to File 2.)
;                  1 (File 1 is older than File 2.)
; Author ........: guinness
; Modified ......:
; Remarks .......: Date.au3 should be included.
; Example .......: Yes
; ===============================================================================================================================
Func _FileCompare($sSource, $sDestination, $iMethod = 0)
    Local $iDate1 = StringRegExpReplace(FileGetTime($sSource, $iMethod, 1), '(\d{4})(\d{2})(\d{2})(\d{2})(\d{2})(\d{2})', '\1/\2/\3 \4:\5:\6')
    Local $iDate2 = StringRegExpReplace(FileGetTime($sDestination, $iMethod, 1), '(\d{4})(\d{2})(\d{2})(\d{2})(\d{2})(\d{2})', '\1/\2/\3 \4:\5:\6')
    Local $iDateDiff = _DateDiff('s', $iDate2, $iDate1)
    If $iDateDiff > 0 Then Return -1
    If $iDateDiff = 0 Then Return 0
    Return 1
EndFunc   ;==>_FileCompare
Example use of Function:

#include <Date.au3> ; Required for _DateDiff()
#include <MsgBoxConstants.au3>

Example()

Func Example()
    Local $aArray[3] = [2]
    For $i = 1 To $aArray[0]
        $aArray[$i] = FileOpenDialog('_FileCompare()', @ScriptDir, 'All (*.*)')
        If @error Then Return False
    Next
    MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMDOAL, '', _FileCompare($aArray[1], $aArray[2]))
    Return True
EndFunc   ;==>Example
Edited by guinness

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

Nice twist, and I have to get in to StringRegExp(Replace), looks so powerful but is intimidating!

Thanks

Ian

My projects:

• IP Scanner - Multi-threaded ping tool to scan your available networks for used and available IP addresses, shows ping times, resolves IPs in to host names, and allows individual IPs to be pinged.
  • INFSniff - Great technicians tool - a tool which scans DriverPacks archives for INF files and parses out the HWIDs to a database file, and rapidly scans the local machine's HWIDs, searches the database for matches, and installs them.
  • PPK3 (Persistent Process Killer V3) - Another for the techs - suppress running processes that you need to keep away, helpful when fighting spyware/viruses.
  • Sync Tool - Folder sync tool with lots of real time information and several checking methods.
  • USMT Front End - Front End for Microsoft's User State Migration Tool, including all files needed for USMT 3.01 and 4.01, 32 bit and 64 bit versions.
  • Audit Tool - Computer audit tool to gather vital hardware, Windows, and Office information for IT managers and field techs. Capabilities include creating a customized site agent.
  • CSV Viewer - Displays CSV files with automatic column sizing and font selection. Lines can also be copied to the clipboard for data extraction.
  • MyDirStat - Lists number and size of files on a drive or specified path, allows for deletion within the app.
  • VHD Footer - Add a footer to a forensic hard drive image to allow it to be mounted or used as a virtual machine hard drive.

Another way Posted Image

#include <Date.au3>

; determine how many days a file was created.
MsgBox ( 0, "", "Number of days since creation : " & _DateDiff ( 'd', _ConvertTimeFormat ( FileGetTime ( "c:\boot.ini", 1, 1 ) ), _NowCalc ( ) ) )

; determine the difference in days of creation between two files.
MsgBox ( 0, "", "Number of days between this 2 files : " & _DateDiff ( 'd', _ConvertTimeFormat ( FileGetTime ( @WindowsDir & "\explorer.exe", 1, 1 ) ), _ConvertTimeFormat ( FileGetTime ( "c:\boot.ini", 1, 1 ) ) ) )

Func _ConvertTimeFormat ( $_FileTime ) ; convert 20100716213616 string time format to this time format YYYY/MM/DD HH:MM:SS
    Return StringMid ( $_FileTime, 1 , 4 ) & '/' & StringMid ( $_FileTime, 5 , 2 ) & '/' & StringMid ( $_FileTime, 7 , 2 ) & _
    ' ' & StringMid ( $_FileTime, 9 , 2 ) & ':' & StringMid ( $_FileTime, 11 , 2 ) & ':' & StringMid ( $_FileTime, 13 , 2 )
EndFunc ;==> _ConvertTimeFormat ( )

A Positive Result : first file is older than second

a Negative Result : first file is newer than second

and a Null Result : first file was created same date than second.

Edited by wakillon

AutoIt 3.3.14.2 X86 - SciTE 3.6.0WIN 8.1 X64 - Other Example Scripts

• 6 months later...

Another way Posted Image

#include <Date.au3>

; determine how many days a file was created.
MsgBox ( 0, "", "Number of days since creation : " & _DateDiff ( 'd', _ConvertTimeFormat ( FileGetTime ( "c:\boot.ini", 1, 1 ) ), _NowCalc ( ) ) )

; determine the difference in days of creation between two files.
MsgBox ( 0, "", "Number of days between this 2 files : " & _DateDiff ( 'd', _ConvertTimeFormat ( FileGetTime ( @WindowsDir & "\explorer.exe", 1, 1 ) ), _ConvertTimeFormat ( FileGetTime ( "c:\boot.ini", 1, 1 ) ) ) )

Func _ConvertTimeFormat ( $_FileTime ) ; convert 20100716213616 string time format to this time format YYYY/MM/DD HH:MM:SS
    Return StringMid ( $_FileTime, 1 , 4 ) & '/' & StringMid ( $_FileTime, 5 , 2 ) & '/' & StringMid ( $_FileTime, 7 , 2 ) & _
    ' ' & StringMid ( $_FileTime, 9 , 2 ) & ':' & StringMid ( $_FileTime, 11 , 2 ) & ':' & StringMid ( $_FileTime, 13 , 2 )
EndFunc ;==> _ConvertTimeFormat ( )

A Positive Result : first file is older than second

a Negative Result : first file is newer than second

and a Null Result : first file was created same date than second.

I can think of a simple way to compare 2 file dates. Just create a string of format YYMMDDHHMMSS from the file date array of each file, then compare the values numerically

example:

$arTime1 = FileGetTime ( $SourceFoundFile )

$SrcFileTime = $arTime1 [ 0 ] & $arTime1 [ 1 ] & $arTime1 [ 2 ] & $arTime1 [ 3 ] & $arTime1 [ 4 ] & $arTime1 [ 5 ]

$arTime2 = FileGetTime ( $TargetFile )

$TgtFileTime = $arTime2 [ 0 ] & $arTime2 [ 1 ] & $arTime2 [ 2 ] & $arTime2 [ 3 ] & $arTime2 [ 4 ] & $arTime2 [ 5 ]

if $SrcFileTime > $TgtFileTime Then FileCopy ( $SourceFile, $TargetFile )

I have re-written this recently, it turns out that I made it MUCH harder than it should have been. Melba23 pointed out FileGetTime, and I am still not quite sure how I missed it while looking through the help file :mellow:

Switching isn't really "recommended" as the original worked well, but this one is definitely a lot simpler! Be warned though that the syntax has changed slightly due to the functions in Date.au3 having different values used for Create, Access, and Modify.

Enjoy

Ian

Func _CompareFileTimeEx($hSource, $hDestination, $iMethod)
    ;Parameters ....:       $hSource -      Full path to the first file
    ;                       $hDestination - Full path to the second file
    ;                       $iMethod -      0   The date and time the file was modified
    ;                                       1   The date and time the file was created
    ;                                       2   The date and time the file was accessed
    ;Return values .:                       -1  The Source file time is earlier than the Destination file time
    ;                                       0   The Source file time is equal to the Destination file time
    ;                                       1   The Source file time is later than the Destination file time
    ;Author ........:       Ian Maxwell (llewxam @ AutoIt forum)
    $aSource = FileGetTime($hSource, $iMethod, 0)
    $aDestination = FileGetTime($hDestination, $iMethod, 0)
    For $a = 0 To 5
        If $aSource[$a] <> $aDestination[$a] Then
            If $aSource[$a] < $aDestination[$a] Then
                Return -1
            Else
                Return 1
            EndIf
        EndIf
    Next
    Return 0
EndFunc   ;==>_CompareFileTimeEx

edit: Oh, one nice improvement is that no other Includes are needed any more, so another plus for simplicity....

Edited by llewxam

My projects:

• 4 years later...

I'm glad it was of use, and twice as glad that it still works, it is pretty old! :)

Ian

My projects:

@llewxam i am only few days older in Autoit  World, so any script is new for me :)

I am after something similar

what i am trying to achieve is

modify the code so that it checks i.html's date in G drive (if the files are older) and it over writes with new file from the source.

What the code does is maps the system by getting IP address from $address and copies file into the drive.

func latestIndexHTML($address, $name)
   Local $result
   Local $hFileIndexHTML
   DriveMapDel ( "G:" )
   ConsoleWrite('Trying: ' & $address & "/" & $name & @CRLF);
   $result = DriveMapAdd ( "G:", "\\" & $address & "\C$", 0, $name & "\admin","adminpswd")
   if $result = 1 Then
      FileCopy( "C:\a\i.html", "G:\Program Files\L\LC\", 1);
      ConsoleWrite('Copying I.html file: ' & $address & @CRLF);
      $hFileIndexHTML = FileOpen("C:\a\ihtml.txt", 1)
      FileWrite($hFileIndexHTML, $address & @CRLF)
      FileClose($hFileIndexHTML)
   EndIf
EndFunc

any help will be really great

What you would do is use one of the above methods prior to FileCopy to compare the 2 file's dates (by last modified date), and if your source file is newer than the destination file, go ahead with the FileCopy.

I'm not seeing what value $hFileIndexHTML should have, but you get the idea.

Ian

My projects: