Autoit Future

Hi

I'm seeing in this developers forum some discussions about AU3 future. Before of all, I only have to thanks all you for this excellent tool, after sometime using it.

On other hand, all we are seeing "new devices" coming up, like smart / iphones, tablets/Ipads, etc. coming on. These are excelent example of devices for tasks automations. But seems to me that programing on them could be at the best a nightmare....would be GREAT if we could have AU3 on them.... but I am not asking so much.....

On other hand, seed this kind of devices -> http://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/MLB-1...-7-windows-ce-300mhz-228ram-dd (do not mind as it is in portuguese, but the specification donw in the page is understandable)

Their are based on WINDOWS CE and also coud be GREAT in automation tasks..... but uses ARM processors.... I suppose (I'm not sure) that WIN CE is a small version of WIN, and probably there is a lack of LOT WIn API's, etc.

But if we are not preciosists, there is a chance of with litle effort, to do basic AU3 to work on it, even if the most inner or specialized functions do not work? I mean, the AU3 language by itself and basic UDF's? Like array & string ones, date/time, maybe file, maybe word, excell UDF's, etc.? Also, very basic Internet functions, like InetGet and company. In order to not make the project very complex, one suggestion would be to do AU3 interpreter just to run on WinCE, and let to users to discover what UDF's would work or not...

Sorry in advance if this is a non sense or a crazy idea.

Thanks

Jose

Before you get too deeply involved in this conversation you may want to read this

http://www.autoitscript.com/trac/autoit/wiki/AutoItNotOnToDoList

George

Question about decompiling code? Read the decompiling FAQ and don't bother posting the question in the forums.

Be sure to read and follow the forum rules. -AKA the AutoIt Reading and Comprehension Skills test.***

The PCRE (Regular Expression) ToolKit for AutoIT - (Updated Oct 20, 2011 ver:3.0.1.13) - Please update your current version before filing any bug reports. The installer now includes both 32 and 64 bit versions. No change in version number.

Visit my Blog .. currently not active but it will soon be resplendent with news and views. Also please remove any links you may have to my website. it is soon to be closed and replaced with something else.

"Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!"

Before you get too deeply involved in this conversation you may want to read this

http://www.autoitscript.com/trac/autoit/wiki/AutoItNotOnToDoList

Thanks George

I read the above link. But, just to understand, Modularized Compilation/variable sized compiled files.... isn't obfuscator at AutoItWrapper a kind of implemented answer to this?

I do not want by any way to extend this chat, and I can barely imagine how a so tied language to windows is hard to move to another OS, if possible.

But just to make clear my point, as you can see on my initial post, my suggestion was about a "tiny" AU3 on WinCE, I mean, only basic functions working on WInCE, almost like (maybe a little more) a plain language.

And the reason for that is AU3 today can be used in 2 ways: a deep windows control language and an almost plain normal language (with many advantages over others like C ou VB), on this later case, with just some basic OS interface, like mouse control, other programs control (clicks, etc.), and sending receiving data over Internet, USB HID, etc. Furthemore, when I told that those are excelent devices for control, I mean to control small automation systems, like home apliances, etc. For example, I developed an application in AU3 in a PC that receives thru a serial interface messages from intrusion alarms developed with PICs that are spread arround an area of 2.500 square meters. And I uses Au3 as an almost plain language, with excelent tresults.

Thanks again and finishig this chat

Jose

Edited by joseLB

No problem Jose. As I understand it there are some functions in AutoIt that will work on the CE platform and some that won't. That is as reported by others since I've never tried it myself. I only posted the link as a reminder and I find myself having to go back and re-read that page every once in a while so I know if I should bring up a topic or not. This one seemed to be a bit borderline or heading in that direction and I didn't want to see you get flamed for it.

George

Question about decompiling code? Read the decompiling FAQ and don't bother posting the question in the forums.

Be sure to read and follow the forum rules. -AKA the AutoIt Reading and Comprehension Skills test.***

The PCRE (Regular Expression) ToolKit for AutoIT - (Updated Oct 20, 2011 ver:3.0.1.13) - Please update your current version before filing any bug reports. The installer now includes both 32 and 64 bit versions. No change in version number.

Visit my Blog .. currently not active but it will soon be resplendent with news and views. Also please remove any links you may have to my website. it is soon to be closed and replaced with something else.

As I understand it there are some functions in AutoIt that will work on the CE platform and some that won't. That is as reported by others since I've never tried it myself...[

Thanks George

I will take a deeper look at forum to see if I find other's experience on Win CE AU3 usage...

Jose

I read the above link. But, just to understand, Modularized Compilation/variable sized compiled files.... isn't obfuscator at AutoItWrapper a kind of implemented answer to this?

No. Modular/variable compile is like if your script was this:

MsgBox(0, "", "")

That AutoIt would compile with only enough code to run a message box.

Edited by Richard Robertson

Whilst we are on this conversation:

Devs, Is there any plan for an Autoit V4?

Or at this stage is it V3 forever?

-Hyperzap

ongoing projects:-firestorm: Largescale P2P Social NetworkCompleted Autoit Programs/Scripts: Variable Pickler | Networked Streaming Audio (in pure autoIT) | firenet p2p web messenger | Proxy Checker | Dynamic Execute() Code Generator | P2P UDF | Graph Theory Proof of Concept - Breadth First search

Yes, eventually v3 will be renamed to v4 to please the community.

Posted Image

ongoing projects:-firestorm: Largescale P2P Social NetworkCompleted Autoit Programs/Scripts: Variable Pickler | Networked Streaming Audio (in pure autoIT) | firenet p2p web messenger | Proxy Checker | Dynamic Execute() Code Generator | P2P UDF | Graph Theory Proof of Concept - Breadth First search

I was using *.au4 files years ago already.

I should also add that you want to be careful of what you ask for. Knowing the way it goes around here, if and when we ever see an AutoIt4, you can bet it won't be backwards compatible so all of your existing scripts are out the door or you sit there and convert them.

Edited by GEOSoft

George

I was using *.au4 files years ago already.

I should also add that you want to be careful of what you ask for. Knowing the way it goes around here, if and when we ever see an AutoIt4, you can bet it won't be backwards compatible so all of your existing scripts are out the door or you sit there and convert them.

There was a converter for the last major version change wasn't there?

There was one that someone (forget who) wrote that did a lot of the work, yes. It didn't do all of it and there was still a lot of manual conversion to do after. I did use it to simplify the task of migrating all my scripts over but whether or not it's worth doing depends on how many projects you have to convert. As a matter of fact I'm pretty sure I still have that converter script here someplace.

EDIT: Although I'm still not sure who wrote it I have this nagging feeling that it may have been SvenP. If I get around to finding it I'll have a look but back in those days I didn't sort scripts by author.

Edit #2;

Now I can kick myself for not remembering this.

That converter is still part of the AutoIt3 install package. It's in <path>\AutoIt3\Extras| and for the record it was written by J-P

Edited by GEOSoft

George

I would think the right time for AutoIt 4.0 would be exactly when the Devs decided to make a substantial break with backwards compatibility. Rewriting all the native functions in COM property/method syntax for example.

Absent that kind of big break, 3.x continues to make good sense.

:huh2:

Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law

Let a plain and not skilled mortal give his opinion about new version.

Fisrt of all, must be reasons/drawbacks for a new version, and at lest me occur some of them:

1- comercial reasons -> you can sell upgrades and earn $$

2- make users happier -> I believe we are VERY happy with AU3 (more on this later*A)

2- a huge change, that it is so distinct, that is impossible to merge it. -> this is almost impossible with AUx, due to the huge ammount of UDF's ready (more on this later*;).

3- make new version compatible with old one -> normally makes new software to work erraticaly/slow and many things would be lost, no matter the effort to make them compatible. mainly in a language like AU3, that has SO MANY and complex UDF's -> see that in AU3 interim versions, some functions are deprecated or have behavior changed !

*A,B -> why happy? Why not to use VB, C, etc.? Well, on my case, is the simpliciy and speed you do a program. And, UDF's + Forums. There you find almost all you need, ready or someone by sure will help you.... I see others programing in VC for exaqmple, and to do tasks that in AU3 in a snap we find a ready solution, they take a long time.... mainly if it is related to any SO interaction (yes, AU3 can be used as a plain language too).

If, anyway, is a desire to change version number, ex:, AU3 -> AU4, I would suggest:

1- a more integrated Scite <-> Koda or similar screen devepment tool. Koda, besides to be a great software, is a 1 person effort... So, it lacks some features/functionality .

2- a "light" version of AU3 for WinCE, mainly as an almost plain and simple to use language (my 1st and 2nd posts) :huh2:

3- as in VB, the tooltip while you are typing a command (UDF, etc.), to integrate better with help, so we could know the parameters without to to to help all the time

If I remember other ones, I will put here.....

Jose

*ps, sorry Robert for my mistake....

Jose