Automating the IE Save AS file Dialog

steveellis99

Greetings all,

After having recieved and absolute ton of assistance from all the user posts here, I feel obliged to share a bit of code I created to interact with the file-download dialog in IE. There might be better/easier ways, but I sure couldn't find them...or make them work in AutoIT as a newbie. I know there is an INetGet tool, but it won't work on the pages I'm using (security stuff...dynamic linking and my general ignorance). The code below will change the default text to a directory name, click the button, and replace the original file name back into the box. It's probably the equivalent of digital duct-tape, but I hope it can help somebody.

Note: I have the destination directory stored in a variable ($dest) from a FileSelectFolder call. I'm not sure all the sleep() steps are essential, but it doesn't hurt ot have a little patience.

....after having a link clicked elsewhere in the script....snip:

WinWait("File Download")

WinActivate("File Download")

sleep(500)

ControlClick("File Download","","Button2") ; this clicks the default "save" button on the first dialog

WinWait("Save As") ; Wait for the "Save As" box to pop up

WinActivate("Save As")

sleep(500)

$filename=ControlGetText("Save As","Save &in:","Edit1") ;Get the file name before we erase it

ControlSetText("Save As","Save &in:","Edit1","") ; erase the file name to make room for the $dest string

sleep(1000)

ControlSetText("Save As","Save &in:","Edit1", $dest) ; set the Edit1 text to the $dest and hit the button to swithc directories.

ControlClick("Save As","","Button2")

sleep(1000)

ControlSetText("Save As","Save &in:","Edit1", $filename) ; reset the name of the file to the original value.

sleep(1000)

ControlClick("Save As","","Button2")

My code was created for Windows XP with IE8, but I think the basic idea would work for any version. You might have to use the AutoIT Window Info toolto get the right names for the Edit field and the buttons. The Save As dialog seems to be a Windows window (?!?!) not specifically an IE window, so I think they'll stay consistently named (I HOPE they stay consistently named!)

Look for solutions in my sig, below.

Dale

Free Internet Tools: DebugBar, AutoIt IE Builder, HTTP UDF, MODIV2, IE Developer Toolbar, IEDocMon, Fiddler, HTML Validator, WGet, curl

MSDN docs: InternetExplorer Object, Document Object, Overviews and Tutorials, DHTML Objects, DHTML Events, WinHttpRequest, XmlHttpRequest, Cross-Frame Scripting, Office object model

Automate input type=file (Related)

Alternative to _IECreateEmbedded? better: _IECreatePseudoEmbedded  Better Better?

IE.au3 issues with Vista - Workarounds

SciTe Debug mode - it's magic: #AutoIt3Wrapper_run_debug_mode=Y

Doesn't work needs to be ripped out of the troubleshooting lexicon. It means that what you tried did not produce the results you expected. It begs the questions 1) what did you try?, 2) what did you expect? and 3) what happened instead?

Reproducer: a small (the smallest?) piece of stand-alone code that demonstrates your trouble