Documentation visual style feedback

Valik

Why are changes, not already done, necessary?

... Let's be construcive. Why?

edit: this is what it looks now, or this maybe, and this is new intro. (server will be up for few hours)

May I read constructive critic?

Edited by trancexx
removed links

♡♡♡

eMyvnE

I've been following the updates you've been making and can say the whitespace is reduced.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

The size of font for examples is not small. The size of it is 11px to match the size of the font used for the rest of the page (because they are different type of fonts they are rendered differently; Courier New generally takes more space than Segoe UI).

This size could have been 12px but for some reason inside chm that 1px makes bigger difference than it would be expected (making the font much skinnier, to my experience).

Or someone mean even bigger font? That would break the style totally.

Also the new font is rendered bigger than the old one within other browsers than IE for online documentation.

So use a different font if Courier New becomes too large when you change it. Use a proportional font, I don't care. The current example font is too small making it harder to read than it needs to be.

White space is constructive element of new style. It does not distract attention from content, it serves it. Amount of white space around function name is like that not to visually differ from amount of it used for sections separations.

The whitespace isn't the problem, it's the lack of information at the top. I never said "reduce the whitespace". I said reduce the font of the function name or remove the "Function reference" line. The idea is to get more information visible. I prefer the latter approach. You can keep the whitespace above and below the function name and even keep it the same size. It will bring more information into initial frame. It even matches MSDN closer which should make you happy.

You ask me to trust you to make a change yet you do not trust me. I have to explain in verbose detail ad nauseum why I want something done. I have to bring this fight public to get you to try and see the style is not going to be bad when it receives a few usability improvements.

Jos, here are my custom colors:

custom.style.string=fore:#FF0000
custom.style.number=fore:#0000FF
custom.style.comment=fore:#008000,italics
custom.style.keyword=fore:#0000FF
custom.style.operator=fore:#FF8000
custom.style.preprocessor=fore:#808000
custom.style.variable=fore:#5A5A5A
custom.style.function=fore:#000090

# White space
style.au3.0=fore:#000000
# Comment line
style.au3.1=$(custom.style.comment)
# Comment block
style.au3.2=$(custom.style.comment)
# Number
style.au3.3=$(custom.style.number)
# Function
style.au3.4=$(custom.style.function)
# Keyword
style.au3.5=$(custom.style.keyword)
# Macro
style.au3.6=fore:#808000
# String
style.au3.7=$(custom.style.string)
# Operator
style.au3.8=$(custom.style.operator)
# Variable
style.au3.9=$(custom.style.variable)
# Send keys in string
style.au3.10=fore:#808080
# Pre-Processor
style.au3.11=$(custom.style.preprocessor)
# Special
style.au3.12=fore:#DC143C
# COM Objects
style.au3.14=fore:#993399
#Standard UDF's
style.au3.15=fore:#0080FF

Valik

I haven't been vocal for a reason; I'll just be accused of resisting change again. To me there was nothing that needed changing as far as styles were concerned.

That being said it makes 0% difference to me what happens with it.

George

Question about decompiling code? Read the decompiling FAQ and don't bother posting the question in the forums.

Be sure to read and follow the forum rules. -AKA the AutoIt Reading and Comprehension Skills test.***

The PCRE (Regular Expression) ToolKit for AutoIT - (Updated Oct 20, 2011 ver:3.0.1.13) - Please update your current version before filing any bug reports. The installer now includes both 32 and 64 bit versions. No change in version number.

Visit my Blog .. currently not active but it will soon be resplendent with news and views. Also please remove any links you may have to my website. it is soon to be closed and replaced with something else.

"Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!"

On page "Standard Windows Fonts" the operating systems are not visible (wrong color).

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to
build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe
trying to produce bigger and better idiots.
So far, the Universe is winning.

The whitespace isn't the problem, it's the lack of information at the top. I never said "reduce the whitespace". I said reduce the font of the function name or remove the "Function reference" line. The idea is to get more information visible. I prefer the latter approach. You can keep the whitespace above and below the function name and even keep it the same size. It will bring more information into initial frame. It even matches MSDN closer which should make you happy.

There is no lack of information. All of the information that needs be there is there.

If you think there is not enough data for used space then you are referring to whitespace so even if your first sentence says the whitespace is not the problem, the rest is saying otherwise.

Adding "Function" to function name isn't valid option because we have really long names for some UDF functions and help file's html body space is not wide as browser page.

You ask me to trust you to make a change yet you do not trust me. I have to explain in verbose detail ad nauseum why I want something done.

Yes.

The only difference is that I trust you. Your last post in that other thread shows to me that I may be not completely right about that.

Anyway, I have made few more changes going to your direction. I hope this time you will actually see them done before making conclusions.

Next change I do will be reverting. I want this done one way or the other, too much time is lost.

♡♡♡

eMyvnE

• Developers

Jos, here are my custom colors:

custom.style.string=fore:#FF0000
custom.style.number=fore:#0000FF
custom.style.comment=fore:#008000,italics
custom.style.keyword=fore:#0000FF
custom.style.operator=fore:#FF8000
custom.style.preprocessor=fore:#808000
custom.style.variable=fore:#5A5A5A
custom.style.function=fore:#000090

# White space
style.au3.0=fore:#000000
# Comment line
style.au3.1=$(custom.style.comment)
# Comment block
style.au3.2=$(custom.style.comment)
# Number
style.au3.3=$(custom.style.number)
# Function
style.au3.4=$(custom.style.function)
# Keyword
style.au3.5=$(custom.style.keyword)
# Macro
style.au3.6=fore:#808000
# String
style.au3.7=$(custom.style.string)
# Operator
style.au3.8=$(custom.style.operator)
# Variable
style.au3.9=$(custom.style.variable)
# Send keys in string
style.au3.10=fore:#808080
# Pre-Processor
style.au3.11=$(custom.style.preprocessor)
# Special
style.au3.12=fore:#DC143C
# COM Objects
style.au3.14=fore:#993399
#Standard UDF's
style.au3.15=fore:#0080FF

For anyone that want to have a look at the new proposed scheme for SciTE:

- Download the attached file into "C:Program Files (x86)AutoIt3SciTESciTEConfig" and rename it to remove the ".txt" at the end.

- Start SciTEConfig (Ctrl+1)

- Click Tab 'Color Settings"

- Click "New Scheme" button"

- Select "NewSciTEScheme ==>New SciTE Standard Color scheme"

To reverse select " SciTE4AutoIt3" in the last step.

Jos

Edited by Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

By the looks of things this new style closely resembles Valik's MSDEV2.SciTEConfig file.

Edit: At first I wasn't convinced by the proposed new SciTE style, I was concerned it would be difficult to distinguish between variables and normal text. But having used it for 30 minutes I'm really liking the clean effect it has on the screen and the fact it mimics the style of Visual Studio 2010 (which I don't use) leads me that little bit closer to looking like a real programmer.

Edited by guinness

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

• Moderators

trancexx,

Thank you for making the changes you have - but although I can live with it, I still feel there is too much whitespace between the different sections. I notice in AZJIO's top picture that a reduction in font size for the section titles has greatly reduced this whitespace - is it something as simple as making sure that the intervening blank line has the text size and not that of the title? That has caught me out in PowerPoint more times that I care to remember. :D

As I said before, I think the new style is a great improvement over the old one - we are talking subtle changes to your suggested format here and I reiterate that I would be very happy with the first of the 3 function examples you showed (the Introduction example is already perfect in my eyes). :)

Again thanks for taking the time to do it - and please excuse the moans of those of us who come along and poke holes in your work. ;)

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

AZJIO

If the help file ever became even remotely like the black one; I for one wouldn't take the time of day to open it even to help someone out. There is nothing professional looking about it.

George

Question about decompiling code? Read the decompiling FAQ and don't bother posting the question in the forums.

Be sure to read and follow the forum rules. -AKA the AutoIt Reading and Comprehension Skills test.***

The PCRE (Regular Expression) ToolKit for AutoIT - (Updated Oct 20, 2011 ver:3.0.1.13) - Please update your current version before filing any bug reports. The installer now includes both 32 and 64 bit versions. No change in version number.

Visit my Blog .. currently not active but it will soon be resplendent with news and views. Also please remove any links you may have to my website. it is soon to be closed and replaced with something else.

"Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!"

trancexx,

Thank you for making the changes you have - but although I can live with it, I still feel there is too much whitespace between the different sections. I notice in AZJIO's top picture that a reduction in font size for the section titles has greatly reduced this whitespace - is it something as simple as making sure that the intervening blank line has the text size and not that of the title? That has caught me out in PowerPoint more times that I care to remember. :D

As I said before, I think the new style is a great improvement over the old one - we are talking subtle changes to your suggested format here and I reiterate that I would be very happy with the first of the 3 function examples you showed (the Introduction example is already perfect in my eyes). :)

Again thanks for taking the time to do it - and please excuse the moans of those of us who come along and poke holes in your work. ;)

M23

Thank you for really nice words.

However I didn't ask what should be done, I asked why. That's the whole thing. Constructive comment.

You whole post in that context can be reduced to "because I have a feeling".

Thanks once again.

♡♡♡

eMyvnE

• Moderators

trancexx,

I asked why

It is pretty subjective - as shown by the wide range of comments that you have received.

As I mentioned in my first comments, the excessive (to my eyes) whitespace makes the page looked "washed out". The section headers already divide the page clearly into the various sections - the whitespace over-accentuates the separation and reduces the overall cohesion of the information displayed. It is not a matter of scrolling - many of the pages demand that and no-one (I hope) is suggesting that we try and cram everything into a 25cm high box.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Section 1

The special flag $GUI_BKCOLOR_LV_ALTERNATE can be used with Listview control to give alternate background of the ListviewItems lines.

The odd lines will get the color set by GUICtrlSetBkColor of the Listview control.

The even lines will get the color set by GUICtrlSetBkColor of the ListviewItem control.

Section 2

For ListView, ListViewItem controls :

To update a specific column just forget about the others ie "||update" to update 3rd column.

If "update" is empty the column/subitem will be erased. For example "|" will erase the second column/subitem, "" will erase the first.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Section 1

The special flag $GUI_BKCOLOR_LV_ALTERNATE can be used with Listview control to give alternate background of the ListviewItems lines.

The odd lines will get the color set by GUICtrlSetBkColor of the Listview control.

The even lines will get the color set by GUICtrlSetBkColor of the ListviewItem control.

Section 2

For ListView, ListViewItem controls :

To update a specific column just forget about the others ie "||update" to update 3rd column.

If "update" is empty the column/subitem will be erased. For example "|" will erase the second column/subitem, "" will erase the first.

Personally, I find the first of those examples much nicer to look at - although not necessarily easier to read.

As to concrete reasons for adopting the first example, I have had a lot of training on PowerPoint over the years and in all of the various courses and manuals the suggested spacing between sections is as the first example - the second example would not be accepted by any of the people/organisations (of various nationalities) that I have worked for. Now I know PowerPoint is not the be-all-and-end-all of the matter, but it does tend to be the de facto standard for visual presentation.

I hope that goes some way to explaining my position - I can offer nothing more concrete. And as I stated earlier I am not going to throw my toys out of the cot if the whitespace remains as it is. :)

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

You whole post in that context can be reduced to "because I have a feeling".

This is probably the most important "why" to listen to. I'll listen to my gut instinct over "experts" any day of the week.

If you think there is not enough data for used space then you are referring to whitespace so even if your first sentence says the whitespace is not the problem, the rest is saying otherwise.

If I wanted to say the whitespace was a problem I would say the whitespace is a problem. Did I say that? No, I didn't. So if you fail to comprehend the rest of the post that's your own problem. I assert once again, the whitespace is not the issue. Much like we will have issues if you make more work for me, we will also have issues if you attempt to misinterpret or misconstrue the things I say. I say what I mean; I do not say one thing when I really mean another.

I just tried Valik's NewSciTEScheme. At a first glance I would have to say it's very clear to read. The only thing is that I'm not too keen on the red strings. Depending on how much text (wrapped in quotes) your script contains, the script can turn out looking very red. I think it's possible that such a stark contrast may play tricks on some tired eyes.