Report Help File Issues Here

guinness

Windows will read "*.*" as "*". It totally ignors the "." and always has.

In that search box '.' is a wildcard. FileFindFIrstFile works proper in this respect.

That does not work in any implementation in Windows,

Which did you try? Behavior of AutoIt is dependent on Windows. This is almost always hidden from programmer. Edited by Manadar

Which did you try? Behavior of AutoIt is dependent on Windows. This is almost always hidden from programmer.

I tried it in the command line window, the search box in windows explorer, FileFindFirstFile. "?" is a wildcard that substitutes any 1 alphanumeric character in a file name, doubling it just means substitute any 2 characters in a file name, not any characters that follow unlimited. So, ab?? will match ab, abc, abcd, but not abcde.

EDIT: In Windows Explorer search box, under Windows 7 the search box sees the wildcards as part of the search string and it appears to not recognize them as wildcards.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

So far I've tried it in Windows Vista and 7, I don't have access to anything lower than those at the moment.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

In _IECreate toward the bottom of the examples, this particular example (2nd from last) specifies 0 for $f_visible which causes IE to open hidden which is not what you would expect given the example.

$oIE = _IECreate("http://sourceforge.net", 0, 0)
; Display the innerText on an element on the page with a name of "sfmarquee"
Local $oMarquee = _IEGetObjByName($oIE, "sfmarquee")
MsgBox(0, "SourceForge Information", $oMarquee.innerText)
_IEQuit($oIE)

Just change the $f_visible value from 0 to 1

$oIE = _IECreate("http://sourceforge.net", 0, 1)
; Display the innerText on an element on the page with a name of "sfmarquee"
Local $oMarquee = _IEGetObjByName($oIE, "sfmarquee")
MsgBox(0, "SourceForge Information", $oMarquee.innerText)
_IEQuit($oIE)

The example is correct (see the title of the example) but SourceForge has changed quite a bit over the last couple of years hence why it doesn't work and creates an object error.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

@jscript - I've updated the examples you mentioned previously as well as going through the WinGet/Kill/Set functions. I've mentioned it's "work in progress" but if you or anyone else feels they want to do something similar as then by all means please do so. Please take note that I do look at the examples & test before I finally commit to the Help file.

@graydwarf - I've removed the example due to massive changes in SourceForge's source code.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

I added $PBS_MARQUEE which was missing from the GUIStyles section.

I also changed the example for GUICtrlSendMsg, now it's a progress bar and the scrolling marquee style, as this seems to be a popular question on the forum.

#include <GUIConstantsEx.au3>
#include <ProgressConstants.au3>

Example()

Func Example()
    GUICreate("Marquee Progress Bar", 290, 90, -1, -1) ; An example of starting/stopping a scrolling marquee of a progress bar.
    Local $iProgress = GUICtrlCreateProgress(10, 10, 270, 20, $PBS_MARQUEE)
    Local $iStart = GUICtrlCreateButton("&Start", 10, 60, 70, 25)
    Local $iStop = GUICtrlCreateButton("S&top", 85, 60, 70, 25)

GUISetState(@SW_SHOW)

While 1
        Switch GUIGetMsg()
            Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
                ExitLoop

Case $iStart
                GUICtrlSendMsg($iProgress, $PBM_SETMARQUEE, 1, 50) ; Send the message $PBM_SETMARQUEE and wParam of 1 to start the scrolling marquee.

Case $iStop
                GUICtrlSendMsg($iProgress, $PBM_SETMARQUEE, 0, 50) ; Send the message $PBM_SETMARQUEE and wParam of 0 to stop the scrolling marquee.

EndSwitch
    WEnd
EndFunc   ;==>Example
Edited by guinness

UDF List:

guinness

Can a remark be added to #OnAutoItStartRegister stating how this function does not except single quotes, only double quotes? Ticket 1760 says that they wont fix it, which is understandable, but I agree with the OP that it is inconsistent with all other autoit functions. I cant think of any other functions that only except double quotes.

Added a remark to #OnAutoItStartRegister and the example. Thanks Beege for suggesting.

UDF List:

Thank you for all the work your doing with the help file.

I can assure you there are other MVP/Devs helping out too.

UDF List:

OK, will do.

Edit: Done.

Edited by guinness

UDF List:

I can assure you there are other MVP/Devs helping out too.

No assurance needed. I know that. I thank all of them too. :)

Thanks, I will keep a note of that AZJIO.

UDF List:

Documentation of ObjCreate says:

Return Value

Success: Returns an object. Failure: Returns 0 and sets @error to 1.

But if it is no object I don't get an @error value == 1, it is something like -2147221005 (non zero).

Global $oTest = ObjCreate("Some.Object.1")
MsgBox(0, "IsObj", "Error = " & @error & @CRLF & "IsObj = " & IsObj($oTest))

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to
build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe
trying to produce bigger and better idiots.
So far, the Universe is winning.