Icon Resource Editor

Skitty

When putting this together I originally had in mind to use the functions for another script I have but then I noticed that the process of doing this would increase the file size slightly, so I abandoned the idea and made this instead.

Thanks to Trancexx for the resource updating and almost everything else, all I did was put it together in a way that it would let me edit icons in exes. Also thanks to who ever made the _Res_Update() function in the autoit3wrapper since I also included that but didn't use it so the function is there if any one wants to play with this.

I didn't spend too much time on this so I didn't do proper error checking and other things, but it works and If I were you I'd save a copy of any file you edit.

Posted Image

Icon Edit .au3

New version, better UI and less buggy.

Posted Image

Icon Changer Concept.au3

Take note!

The script only replaces group icons (14), this can be changed of course, but like I said, I didn't spend enough time on it.

This means that if you attempt to replace an index of a group icon, it will obviously replace the entire icon resource.

Also, deleting resources just overwrites the resource with PADDINGXX bytes.

Edited by ApudAngelorum

• 3 months later...

You can't extract icons with it?

Like save it to .png or somethig.

Cause all i use res editors for are to extract stuff then replace them after edits.

[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"]Hobby graphics artist, using gimp.Automating pc stuff, using AutoIt.Listening to music, using Grooveshark.[/font]Scripts:[spoiler]Simple ScreenshotSaves you alot of trouble when taking a screenshot!Don't remember what happened with this, but aperantly the exe is all i got.If you don't want to run it, simply don't._IsRun UDFIt figures out if the script has ben ran before based on the info in a ini file.If you don't want to use exactly what i wrote, you can use it as inspiration.[/spoiler]

You can't extract icons with it?

Like save it to .png or somethig.

Cause all i use res editors for are to extract stuff then replace them after edits.

No, you can't extract icons with it, reason being that there exists too many examples for doing this, and the goal of this script was to help anyone who was after a script that can delete, add or replace icons in a files.

I created it after learning how to do it since I found that examples for this were scarce.

I, infact am only probably responsible for 2% of that code, all I did was copy and paste things together.

Edited by ApudAngelorum

Okay, so copy and paste a extract function is out of the question ?

[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"]Hobby graphics artist, using gimp.Automating pc stuff, using AutoIt.Listening to music, using Grooveshark.[/font]Scripts:[spoiler]Simple ScreenshotSaves you alot of trouble when taking a screenshot!Don't remember what happened with this, but aperantly the exe is all i got.If you don't want to run it, simply don't._IsRun UDFIt figures out if the script has ben ran before based on the info in a ini file.If you don't want to use exactly what i wrote, you can use it as inspiration.[/spoiler]

Okay, so copy and paste a extract function is out of the question ?

No, not really, but it seems now like you need this functionality? Look it's what the internal code of this script is made of, I just noticed that she had an option to add resources to a dll, and I just had to dissect it to produce this.