Bring Firefox to front

I would like to bring the Firefox window to the front and make it active. What I am trying to make work is:

$title = "MozillaWindowClass"
$exe = "Firefox.exe"
$toggle = 0

If WinActive($title) And $toggle Then

Else
    If WinExists($title) Then
        WinActivate($title)
    Else
        Run($exe)
    EndIf
    WinActivate($title)
EndIf

What shows in the Info is:

>>>> Window <<<<
Title: Posting New Topic - AutoIt Forums - Mozilla Firefox
Class: MozillaWindowClass
Position: 3, 8
Size: 1166, 735
Style: 0x16CF0000
ExStyle: 0x00000100
Handle: 0x00000000002103BC

>>>> Control <<<<
Class:
Instance:
ClassnameNN:
Name:
Advanced (Class):
ID:
Text:
Position:
Size:
ControlClick Coords:
Style:
ExStyle:
Handle:

>>>> Mouse <<<<
Position: 215, 23
Cursor ID: 0
Color: 0x219FD8

>>>> StatusBar <<<<

>>>> ToolsBar <<<<

>>>> Visible Text <<<<

>>>> Hidden Text <<<<

The information is pointing to the tab in firefox. I would like to bring to focus Firefox regargles of what tab is open.

Thanks,

Docfxit

Edited by docfxit

WinActivate('[CLASS:MozillaWindowClass]')

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

Thank you for the quick response...

I changed it to:

$title = "MozillaWindowClass"
$exe = "Firefox.exe"
$toggle = 0

If WinActive('[CLASS:MozillaWindowClass]') And $toggle Then

If WinExists($title) Then
    Else
        Run($exe)
    EndIf
EndIf

And it doesn't work.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Docfxit

Edited by docfxit

I have been able to get this to work:

$exe = "C:\Programs\FireFox\firefox.exe"
$appName = "[CLASS:MozillaWindowClass]"
$appHandle = WinGetHandle($appName, "")

;If WinActive("Firefox")  Then

If WinExists($appName) Then
        WinActivate($appHandle)
    Else
        Run($exe)
    EndIf
    WinActivate($appHandle)
;EndIf

;EndIf

That does bring FireFox to the front. I haven't been able to get the If statement to work.

Docfxit

Edited by docfxit

Well it's the structure of your code and the title string. What does this return?

MsgBox(4096, '', WinExists('[CLASS:MozillaWindowClass]'))

Edit: Seems you changed the layout of your code. Why not use ProcessExists instead?

Edited by guinness

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

I have been able to get this to work:

That does bring FireFox to the front. I haven't been able to get the If statement to work.

Docfxit

You can't use the If statement the way you have it. That will only run the code inside of it if Firefox is already the active window. If it's not active, the code gets skipped. In your first code example, it would never run ever because you set $toggle to 0 and then the If statement is only run if both $toggle is True (1), AND Firefox is the currently active window. Since $toggle will never be True, it will never run.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

Thanks for the reply...

I tried Processexist It doen's seem to work

I just relized I don't need the if statement at all.

This is what I ended up with:

$exe = "C:\Programs\FireFox\firefox.exe"

WinActivate($appHandle)
    Else
        Run($exe)
    EndIf
    WinActivate($appHandle)

Thanks a bunch,

Docfxit

Depends how you used it, but glad you got it working. As I said it was your logic with the code.

UDF List:

When I use the code to bring Firefox to the front in a script it didn't work.

This is the entire script:

#include "File.au3"

; Autoit code to instll extensions and themes into firefox
AutoItSetOption("TrayIconDebug", 1) ;0-off
; Set so that tray displays current line number
If _OSVersion() = "Win7" Or "Win7X64" Then
    $ProgramFiles = "C:\Programs"
Else
    $ProgramFiles = "C:\Program Files"
EndIf
;Declare Variables
$FireFoxDir = $ProgramFiles & '\FireFox\'
$FireFoxExe = $FireFoxDir & 'FireFox.exe'
$ScriptDir = "C:\Dnload\9xAddons"
$AddonsDir = @ScriptDir & '\FireFox Extensions\'
$AddonsFiles = _FileListToArray($AddonsDir)
For $i = 1 To $AddonsFiles[0]
    $AddonsFiles[$i] = "'" & $AddonsDir & $AddonsFiles[$i] & "'"
Next
    WinActivate($appHandle)
    MsgBox(48, "Firefox", "Is Active")
    WinSetOnTop($appName, "", 1)

Else
    MsgBox(48, "Firefox", "Is Not Active")
    Run($FireFoxExe)
EndIf
WinActivate($appHandle)
WinSetOnTop($appName, "", 1)
MsgBox(48, "Firefox", "Should be Active")

For $i = 1 To $AddonsFiles[0]
    Switch StringRight($AddonsFiles[$i], 3)
        Case 'xpi'
            ;MsgBox(48, "File Number", $i)
            Send("{CTRLDOWN}o{CTRLUP}")
            WinWait("Open File", "Namespace Tree Contr")
            If Not WinActive("Open File", "Namespace Tree Contr") Then WinActivate("Open File", "Namespace Tree Contr")
            WinWaitActive("Open File", "Namespace Tree Contr")
            MsgBox(48, "File Nname", $AddonsFiles[$i])
            Send($AddonsFiles[$i], 1)
            Send("{ALTDOWN}o{ALTUP}")
            WinWait("Software Installation", "")
            If Not WinActive("Software Installation", "") Then WinActivate("Software Installation", "")
            WinWaitActive("Software Installation", "")
            ;            Sleep(2500)
        Case 'jar'
            ; This is not working
            ;RunWait($FireFoxExe & ' -install-global-theme "' & $AddonsFiles[$i] & '"', $FireFoxDir)
        Case Else
            Sleep(0)
    EndSwitch
    ;close firefox doesn't work
    ProcessClose('FireFox.exe *32')
Next
Exit
Func _OSVersion()
    Local $OS_Version, $servicepack_version
    $OS_Version = StringStripWS(StringRegExpReplace(@OSVersion, "(WIN_)|(Microsoft )|(Windows )|(\(TM\))|( Ultimate)", ""), 8)
    $OS_Version = StringRegExpReplace(StringRegExpReplace($OS_Version, '2008', 'Win7'), 'VISTA', 'Vista')
    If RegRead("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion", 'CurrentBuildNumber') > 7000 Then $OS_Version = 'Win7'
    $servicepack_version = StringReplace(@OSServicePack, "Service Pack ", "SP")
    If @error = -1 Then $servicepack_version = ""
    ConsoleWrite($OS_Version & $servicepack_version & StringRegExpReplace(@OSArch, '(X86)', '') & @CRLF)
    Return $OS_Version & $servicepack_version & StringRegExpReplace(@OSArch, '(X86)', '')
EndFunc   ;==>_OSVersion

Please help me find some code that works to bring Firefox to the front.

Thanks,

Docfxit

There's a macro, @OSVersion that would a lot simpler than your _OSVersion function.

BTW, other than not ,making FF the active window, what error checking have you done and where is it failing?

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

There's a macro, @OSVersion that would a lot simpler than your _OSVersion function.

BTW, other than not ,making FF the active window, what error checking have you done and where is it failing?

They're using the macro already, but the logic is a little overcomplicated and @OSVersion doesn't return what they think it should.

MsgBox(4096, '', _OSVersion())

Func _OSVersion()
    Local $sOSVersion = StringReplace(@OSVersion, 'WIN_', '')
    $sOSVersion = StringReplace($sOSVersion, '2008', 'Win7')
    $sOSVersion = StringReplace($sOSVersion, 'VISTA', 'Vista')
    Return $sOSVersion & StringReplace(@OSServicePack, 'Service Pack ', 'SP') & StringReplace(@OSArch, '(X86)', '')
EndFunc   ;==>_OSVersion

UDF List:

Right now I have a need to do two things.

1. Make FireFox the active window

2. Close FireFox

I have done way to much testing to post it here.

It's really very simple.

1. I have FireFox open

2. I have SciTE open

3. I run the script in SciTE with the F5 key.

4. I expect FireFox to become the active window so the included code will execute properly.

Thanks,

Docfxit

Just quickly looking at your code, the assumption with operator usage is incorrect, for example, checking if the PC is Windows 7 is wrong, I have SP1 installed so this will always return the second option.

Local $sVersion = _OSVersion()
If $sVersion = 'Win7' Or $sVersion = 'Win7X64' Then
    MsgBox(4096, '', 'Windows 7')
EndIf

Also ProcessClose should be >>

ProcessClose('Firefox.exe')

Go back to basics, does the code in post #5 return 1? If yes then AutoIt is detecting Firefox.

UDF List:

Thank you for the reply...

Just quickly looking at your code, the assumption with operator usage is incorrect, for example, checking if the PC is Windows 7 is wrong, I have SP1 installed so this will always return the second option.

Local $sVersion = _OSVersion()
If $sVersion = 'Win7' Or $sVersion = 'Win7X64' Then
    MsgBox(4096, '', 'Windows 7')
EndIf

Thank you for catching that. I haven't been using a 64bit win7 for a while. I tested it and fixed it in my code. I will fix it on this thread on my next post.

Also ProcessClose should be >>

ProcessClose('Firefox.exe')

I had it that way and it wasn't working. Probably because of something else. I switched it back and it works great now. Thanks.

Go back to basics, does the code in post #5 return 1? If yes then AutoIt is detecting Firefox.

Yes it does return a 1. Autoit is detecting Firefox. It just isn't bringing it to front for me. Why is the question.

Now if you could only figure out why it isn't making it the active window I will be all set.

Thank you very much,

Docfxit

Well WinActivate should do that, but something is obviously taking focus from Firefox. I don't use Firefox so this all the help I can provide.

UDF List:

Help file >> WinGetTitle('[ACTIVE]')

Sleep(5000) ; Time to change focus of window.
MsgBox(4096, '', WinGetTitle('[ACTIVE]'))
Edited by guinness

UDF List:

Help file >> WinGetTitle('[ACTIVE]')

Sleep(5000) ; Time to change focus of window.
MsgBox(4096, '', WinGetTitle('[ACTIVE]'))

This will get the title of SciTE (that's the program I use to run this script) You are correct this answers the question as I worded it.

You are correct. It will show me the current active program. It won't show me why FireFox can't take over the current active program.

Thanks,

Docfxit

Now If I could just figure out why Firefox won't change to the current active program I'd be all set.

#include <array.au3>
#include <WinAPI.au3>
#include <WindowsConstants.au3>

$aHwnds_Firefox = WinList("[CLASS:MozillaWindowClass]")
_ArrayDisplay($aHwnds_Firefox)

$hWnd = WinGetHandle('[CLASS:MozillaWindowClass]')
$hWnd_RootOwner = _WinAPI_GetAncestor($hWnd, $GA_ROOTOWNER)
WinActivate($hWnd_RootOwner)