PreExpand - Expand constants and enum variables.

guinness

guiness, this is a nice little tool you've got here.  It'd be cool if it could be included as part of the AutoIt/SciTe tools bundle.

Two things though:

1st, string constants are better off not being expanded, unless they appear only once.  Otherwise, AutoIt needs to reparse them each time it comes across them, which actually slows script performance.

2nd, it seems a multi-pass option might be needed for constants that rely on other constants?  Like:

Const $nBig = 10
Const $nBig2 = ($nBig + 10)

would replace $nBig2 with 10 + 10.. but I suppose that requires extra parsing.  On the same note, constants inside BitOr could further be deduced as well.  It'll certainly add more complexity to your preprocessor, but its at least worth mentioning.

In any case, its looking very nice so far - kudos!

*edit: seems I was referencing results tested against multi-line strings using concatenation operators

Edited by Ascend4nt

Thanks Ascend4nt. I wasn't aware of point 1, therefore you're saying for good performance strings should be in a "variable" of some kind so AutoIt only has to parse them once? I will also consider point 2 once I have fixed some of the little kinks in this program.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

guinness, seems I spoke too soon!  I was initially going off my results by comparing the strings in my >Best coding practices post. I had copied-and-pasted the string as it was to another Test function and compred the 4th one against the others.  But I hadn't considered the fact that those strings were multi-line strings with the concatenation & operator.  AutoIt was then doing that operation each time..

So I decided to go with a different string example.  Here's a different version of that test:

Global Const $tafSYSTEM_CACHE_INFO="ulong SysCacheWsSize;ulong SysCacheWsPeakSize;ulong SysCacheWsFaults;ulong SysCacheMinWs;ulong SysCacheMaxWs;ulong TransitionSharedPages;ulong TransitionSharedPagesPeak;ulong Reserved[2]"

Func Test1()
    Local Const $tagSYSTEM_CACHE_INFO="ulong SysCacheWsSize;ulong SysCacheWsPeakSize;ulong SysCacheWsFaults;ulong SysCacheMinWs;ulong SysCacheMaxWs;ulong TransitionSharedPages;ulong TransitionSharedPagesPeak;ulong Reserved[2]"
    DllStructCreate($tagSYSTEM_CACHE_INFO)
EndFunc

Func Test2()
    Static Local $tagSYSTEM_CACHE_INFO="ulong SysCacheWsSize;ulong SysCacheWsPeakSize;ulong SysCacheWsFaults;ulong SysCacheMinWs;ulong SysCacheMaxWs;ulong TransitionSharedPages;ulong TransitionSharedPagesPeak;ulong Reserved[2]"
    DllStructCreate($tagSYSTEM_CACHE_INFO)
EndFunc

Func Test3()
    DllStructCreate($tafSYSTEM_CACHE_INFO)
EndFunc

Func Test4()
    DllStructCreate("ulong SysCacheWsSize;ulong SysCacheWsPeakSize;ulong SysCacheWsFaults;ulong SysCacheMinWs;ulong SysCacheMaxWs;ulong TransitionSharedPages;ulong TransitionSharedPagesPeak;ulong Reserved[2]")
EndFunc

$iTimer = TimerInit()
For $i=1 To 100000
    Test1()
Next
ConsoleWrite("Test1() [Local Const] results = " & TimerDiff($iTimer) & " ms"&@CRLF)

$iTimer = TimerInit()
For $i=1 To 100000
    Test2()
Next
ConsoleWrite("Test2() [Static Local] results = " & TimerDiff($iTimer) & " ms"&@CRLF)

$iTimer = TimerInit()
For $i=1 To 100000
    Test3()
Next
ConsoleWrite("Test3() [Global Const] results = " & TimerDiff($iTimer) & " ms"&@CRLF)

$iTimer = TimerInit()
For $i=1 To 100000
    Test4()
Next
ConsoleWrite("Test4() [direct string] results = " & TimerDiff($iTimer) & " ms"&@CRLF)

So now it looks like expanding string constants that appear inside of a function is a speed boost, while if the string was declared in the Global scope, the performance difference is negligible.  However, its worth considering that if there are multiple referencs to that string constant, the script size will increase with each extra expansion..

Yeah I remember that post, the whole tap water reply!

It shouldn't be too difficult to do, I will more than likely look at this next weekend now.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

@guinness, take a look at this please:

Before:

#NoTrayIcon
Opt("GUICloseOnESC", 0)
Opt("GUIOnEventMode", 1)
Opt("MustDeclareVars", 1)
Global Const $0 = 0
Global Const $1 = 0x00010000
Global Const $2 = 0x00020000
Global Const $3 = 0x00040000
Global Const $4 = $3
Global Const $5 = 0x00080000
Global Const $6 = 0x00C00000
Global Const $7 = 0x80000000
Global Const $8 = 0x00000008
Global Const $9 = 0x0400
Global Const $a = 0x1
Global Const $b = 0x00000008
Global Const $c = 0X400
Global Const $d = $c + 10
If($CmdLine[0] <> 1) Then Exit
Global $e = Ptr($CmdLine[1])
Global $f = GUICreate("AFK Manager", 400, 205, -1, -1, BitOR($6, $7), $8)
GUISetBkColor(0xFFFFFF)
GUISetFont(8.5, Default, Default, "Tahoma")
GUICtrlCreateLabel("Auto AFK System in progress...", 50, 50, 300, 15, $a)
GUICtrlCreateProgress(50, 85, 300, 25, $b)
GUICtrlSendMsg(-1, $d, True, 50)
GUICtrlCreateButton("Cancel", 150, 130, 100, 25)
GUICtrlSetOnEvent(-1, "_4")
Global $g = WinGetPos($f)
Global $h = WinGetPos("[CLASS:Shell_TrayWnd]")[3]
Global $i = @DesktopWidth - $g[2] - 25
Global $j = @DesktopHeight - $h - $g[3] - 25
WinMove($f, "", $i, $j)
GUISetState(@SW_SHOW)
Func _4()
_5($e, $9 + 11, 0, 0)
Exit
EndFunc
Func _5($f, $k, $l, $m)
DllCall("user32.dll", "BOOL", "PostMessage", "HWND", $f, "UINT", $k, "WPARAM", $l, "LPARAM", $m)
EndFunc
While(True)
Sleep(1000)
WEnd
After:

#NoTrayIcon
Opt("GUICloseOnESC", 0)
Opt("GUIOnEventMode", 1)
Opt("MustDeclareVars", 1)
Global Const $4 = 0x00040000
Global Const $d = 0X400 + 10
If($CmdLine[0] <> 1) Then Exit
Global $e = Ptr($CmdLine[1])
Global $f = GUICreate("AFK Manager", 400, 205, -1, -1, BitOR(0x00C00000, 0x80000000), 0x00000008)
GUISetBkColor(0xFFFFFF)
GUISetFont(8.5, Default, Default, "Tahoma")
GUICtrlCreateLabel("Auto AFK System in progress...", 50, 50, 300, 15, 0x1)
GUICtrlCreateProgress(50, 85, 300, 25, 0x00000008)
GUICtrlSendMsg(-1, $d, True, 50)
GUICtrlCreateButton("Cancel", 150, 130, 100, 25)
GUICtrlSetOnEvent(-1, "_4")
Global $g = WinGetPos($f)
Global $h = WinGetPos("[CLASS:Shell_TrayWnd]")[3]
Global $i = @DesktopWidth - $g[2] - 25
Global $j = @DesktopHeight - $h - $g[3] - 25
WinMove($f, "", $i, $j)
GUISetState(@SW_SHOW)
Func _4()
_5($e, 0x0400 + 11, 0, 0)
Exit
EndFunc
Func _5($f, $k, $l, $m)
DllCall("user32.dll", "BOOL", "PostMessage", "HWND", $f, "UINT", $k, "WPARAM", $l, "LPARAM", $m)
EndFunc
While(True)
Sleep(1000)
WEnd
At line 5 it doesn't stripped $4 variable. As you see it's not used anywhere in the script.

At line 6, it didn't touch $d variable (It's been used at line 14). It would be great if it could convert:

Global Const $d = 0X400 + 10

To

Global Const $d = 0x40A

And replace every $d to 0x40A.

Cheers

Edit:

Also it can go further by converting line 24:

_5($e, 0x0400 + 11, 0, 0)

To:

_5($e, 0x40B, 0, 0)

So the first part is a case of just re-reading the script until there are no more Const and Enum lines.

With your second point I get 1035 in decimal and am a little reluctant to start messing around with calculations of this nature.

Update coming tomorrow if I have time.

UDF List:

So the first part is a case of just re-reading the script until there are no more Const and Enum lines.

Exactly.

With your second point I get 1035 in decimal

That's just OK, the result of 0x0400 + 11 is 1035.

Take a look at this, guess you will find it useful:

MsgBox(0, "Decimal", ExecuteAsDecimal("0x0400 + 11"))
MsgBox(0, "Hex", ExecuteAsHex("0x0400 + 11"))

Func ExecuteAsDecimal($sInput)
    Return Execute($sInput)
EndFunc

Func ExecuteAsHex($sInput)
    ;Makes the result shorter in character length.
    ;The amount of length reduction is minor, but it's
    ;good for big numbers, and has no harm to little numbers.

Local $sValue = String(Hex(Execute($sInput)))
    Local $asDigits = StringSplit($sValue, "")

$sValue = ""
    Local $fFoundGreaterThanZero = False
    For $i = 1 To $asDigits[0]
        If ($fFoundGreaterThanZero) Then
            $sValue &= $asDigits[$i]
        Else
            If ($asDigits[$i] <> "0") Then
                $sValue &= $asDigits[$i]
                $fFoundGreaterThanZero = True
            EndIf
        EndIf
    Next

Return "0x" & $sValue
EndFunc

It's recommended to use constants in Hex, as Microsoft does, at least because they are shorter in character length.

By the way, thanks for the time you are putting at this.

Cheers D4RKON3 for that code, I didn't want to hash out something without doing some research. Unlikely I will release something today though.

UDF List:

• 2 weeks later...

Progress is slow I am afraid. Probably in the next couple of days.

Edited by guinness

UDF List:

This has just become super important with the Beta includes suddenly becoming Constant-heavy nightmares (someone took their 'magic numbers are bad' odyssey too far haha).. hopefully by next Release version this will be included as part of the toolset.  Otherwise I won't be touching that beast. ;)

This has just become super important with the Beta includes suddenly becoming Constant-heavy nightmares (someone took their 'magic numbers are bad' odyssey too far haha).. hopefully by next Release version this will be included as part of the toolset.  Otherwise I won't be touching that beast. ;)

I think you'll find I am the sole reason for AutoIt becoming "constant heavy!"

UDF List:

OK. But lets not turn this into a hijacking of my PreExpand thread please. Use Chat or Dev Chat for that.

UDF List:

This project is on hiatus for a while as I try and figure what I am going to do. Sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Edit: Current download is OK in most cases.

Edited by guinness

UDF List:

• 4 months later...

Version 1.3.3.8 (beta) [XX-06-2014]

- ADDED: Using Au3Stripper to reduce the size of the file before expanding.

- FIXED: Enumerations that began with -1 or less were not properly being expanded.

- IMPROVED: Regular expressions for parsing constants and enumerations.

- IMPROVED: Various source code changes.

Download: http://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/mvps/guinness/PreExpand_v1.3.3.8(beta).zip

UDF List:

• Moderators

guinness,

I am getting an archive error when I try to extract the exe from that zip - the other files extract without problem. :(

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

Sorry M23. Try again.

UDF List:

• Moderators

guinness,

Thanks - no problem this time. :thumbsup:

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

Great. Please try and break PreExpand as I know it's not one hundred percent perfect.

UDF List: