Program that blocks all websites

ctl

Go to solution Solved by ripdad,

Hello, could someone help me create a program that blocks all sites on PC on all browsers, and allow only the sites that i set ? 

For example, the program block all sites and allow just google.ro and autoitscript.com ? I think its more easy to make a program that do this and to be portable and works for all browsers.Thanks.

Edited by ctl

Hello, could someone help me create a program that blocks all sites on PC on all browsers, and allow only the sites that i set ? 

For example, the program block all sites and allow just google.ro and autoitscript.com ? I think its more easy to make a program that do this and to be portable and works for all browsers.Thanks.

should be working if you edit your hosts file with *.* to 127.0.0.1 and above the adresses which you do allow, with their correct ip adresses.

also would be much easier with just a firewall..

should be working if you edit your hosts file with *.* to 127.0.0.1 and above the adresses which you do allow, with their correct ip adresses.

also would be much easier with just a firewall..

Cant make it work if i edit the hosts file, i`ve try that.It would be much easier to just start and stop a program that to go into the hosts file and edit there.

Edited by ctl

Not really beacuse its much easier with a program that i can have it on a usb stick and put it where i want and when i want, the reason that i want a program is that i saw this program 

Edited by ctl

You can block all websites with the hosts file -- And with a small modification to the dns server entry.

Then, add only the sites you want to allow with their proper ip address. This is called white listing.

Which is the opposite of what most people do. (ie: blacklisting)

The problem with whitelisting, especially in your case, is that you gave a search engine: google.ro.

And THERE is where whitelisting will fail. Why? Because search engines use dozens of ip numbers --

and these ip numbers change everytime you access their webpage. Otherwise, it would work.

"The mediocre teacher tells. The Good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires." -William Arthur Ward

This is how it would look using a whitelist ...

127.0.0.1 localhost

87.106.181.57 www.autoitscript.com  # allowed

127.0.0.1 dirty.rotten.websites.com   # denied

Blacklisting would send it to the localhost -- and whitelisting would send it to the correct ip.

The hosts file is good for blacklisting, but not so good otherwise.

Here's another alternative --

You would be much better off, using a local proxy server.

A small proxy server would see if the site is in the whitelist and allow all ip addresses

associated with it to pass. I think something like this could be made with less than

150 lines of code -And- with no additional hardware. The program would reside

on the users computer.

I have not searched the forum for local proxy servers, but,

maybe a member already has one in the examples forum.

Basically it would work something like this:

Browser --> Local Proxy Server (Check WhiteList) --> Send response to Browser

The LPS would be responsible for retrieving website data and send it back to the browser.

There are several advantages to this method -- since the LPS handles the incoming data.

I don't know what your situation is -- maybe, if you could be a little more forth-coming,

there might be other ways of accomplishing what you want.

"The mediocre teacher tells. The Good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires." -William Arthur Ward

This is how it would look using a whitelist ...

127.0.0.1 localhost

87.106.181.57 www.autoitscript.com  # allowed

127.0.0.1 dirty.rotten.websites.com   # denied

Blacklisting would send it to the localhost -- and whitelisting would send it to the correct ip.

The hosts file is good for blacklisting, but not so good otherwise.

Here's another alternative --

You would be much better off, using a local proxy server.

A small proxy server would see if the site is in the whitelist and allow all ip addresses

associated with it to pass. I think something like this could be made with less than

150 lines of code -And- with no additional hardware. The program would reside

on the users computer.

I have not searched the forum for local proxy servers, but,

maybe a member already has one in the examples forum.

Basically it would work something like this:

Browser --> Local Proxy Server (Check WhiteList) --> Send response to Browser

The LPS would be responsible for retrieving website data and send it back to the browser.

There are several advantages to this method -- since the LPS handles the incoming data.

I don't know what your situation is -- maybe, if you could be a little more forth-coming,

there might be other ways of accomplishing what you want.

This is exactly what I need, a program that woks like you describe Browser -> local proxy server ( Check whitelist if not in whitelist don't go to that site) send response to Browser. :)