Removal of PlugIn

minxomat

Disclosure: i have no technical knowledge or personal interest in what you are all talking about. But i'm posting here because i think there is a reasonable solution (for those of us who see the problem, anyway). unfortunately, this requires reaching-out on both parts.

rampaging users: please step forward and stop bitching. instead, try asking for help applying your beloved deprecated functions using other means. i'm sure a polite forum post like "hello, thanks for the upgrade. we've noticed that <feature> was removed. we respect your consideration, but can you please help us implement this feature in the new version?" would be much more helpful.

bunkered dev: please step forward and ignore the bitching. instead, use your mighty powers - as people who have access to the source code of the removed functions - and suggest an alternative way to implement those functions. yeah, sure, users can "find another way", but dev have the power to make it much easier for them.

so everyone is happy, no more reason for quarrel. let's all be friends again, shall we?

Signature - my forum contributions:

Spoiler

UDF:

LFN - support for long file names (over 260 characters)

InputImpose - impose valid characters in an input control

TimeConvert - convert UTC to/from local time and/or reformat the string representation

AMF - accept multiple files from Windows Explorer context menu

DateDuration -  literal description of the difference between given dates

Apps:

Touch - set the "modified" timestamp of a file to current time

Show For Files - tray menu to show/hide files extensions, hidden & system files, and selection checkboxes

SPDiff - Single-Pane Text Diff

orbs,

Did you not see me suggest DllCall() in the other thread? Since the user gave very little information on what it is they implemented, why would I or anyone suggest alternatives? Oh, and for the record I work on the help file and UDFs, not the AutoIt source code.

so everyone is happy, no more reason for quarrel. let's all be friends again, shall we?

Can you be anymore condescending?

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

Did you not see me suggest DllCall() in the other thread?

yes i did; however, to the non-programmer, that post may sound rather different then your intention. DllCall is hardly the friendliest creature on earth; to the common AutoIt user, "Go and learn how to use DLL" is equivalent to a telling a truck driver he should have a NASA training, because that's the only way to repair a flat tire now that the carjack was removed.

Since the user gave very little information on what it is they implemented, why would I or anyone suggest alternatives?

that is true; it is the user fault not to request help in the more appropriate manner, as i've stated.

Oh, and for the record I work on the help file and UDFs, not the AutoIt source code.

so this issue probably more concerns the dev who do work on the code. no one is blaming you, there is nothing personal here, ok?

Can you be anymore condescending?

just a figure of speech, no condescending is implied or intended. i apologize if that's how it sounds.

Spoiler

UDF:

TimeConvert - convert UTC to/from local time and/or reformat the string representation

Apps:

Show For Files - tray menu to show/hide files extensions, hidden & system files, and selection checkboxes

yes i did; however, to the non-programmer, that post may sound rather different then your intention. DllCall is hardly the friendliest creature on earth; to the common AutoIt user, "Go and learn how to use DLL" is equivalent to a telling a truck driver he should have a NASA training, because that's the only way to repair a flat tire now that the carjack was removed.

Just because something isn't understandable to you, doesn't mean that it's not implemented correctly or "hardly the friendliest creature" as you put it. With all due respect orbs, your comments are quite generalised and thus don't necessarily apply to every situation that is thrown at the Forum. When there is something I don't fully understand, I normally don't engage in that subject.

so this issue probably more concerns the dev who do work on the code. no one is blaming you, there is nothing personal here

What issue? Only you and the OP have an issue. Edited by guinness

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

What issue? Only you and the OP have an issue.

that is what i referred to here:

... (for those of us who see the problem, anyway). ...

and as for the DllCall() - you are a programmer, you are probably well familiar with it; and i'm sure it is implemented correctly in AutoIt internals; but you can surely understand that by comparison, the syntax of DLL-related functions and structs is far less understandable than the regular AutoIt functions. hence the slightly-exaggerated description. ;)  

Spoiler

UDF:

Apps:

Why are we even discussing this? When have you ever needed to use DllCall() or PluginOpen()?

UDF List:

i can relate to your sense of revulsion, but we are discussing this because this is what you suggested as a beginning of a solution to the OP. i would very much like not to use DllCall, ObjCreate, or such elaborate programming techniques, but >occasionally >there is a need (for example, many of the _Date_Time_* functions expose structs the calling script needs to handle) - and obviously there is such a need for the OP.

Spoiler

UDF:

Apps:

I spent hundreds of hours developing and updating (recently for 64 bit) the DLL I use. It was designed specifically around AutoIt's PlugInOpen/PluginClose architecture. I have no idea how to use it with DLLCall and supect that it is not even possible. I have never used DLLCall mindfully. If anyone knows how (that is, how to open a DLL designed for PluginOpen(), keep it open and use its functions, close it), that would be great. Thanks!

I guess when this feature was removed, there was a guide to help people transition, but I have not been able to locate that. Anyone?

;o) Cor

Edited by corz

nothing is foolproof to the sufficiently talented fool..

Care to share the documentation about this mysterious dll? Have you even read the help file on DllCall()?

And no there is no "transition documentation" because only a crazy person would use a feature that was technically lacking. 

Edited by guinness

UDF List:

I spent hundreds of hours developing and updating (recently for 64 bit) the DLL I use. It was designed specifically around AutoIt's PlugInOpen/PluginClose architecture. I have no idea how to use it with DLLCall and supect that it is not even possible. I have never used DLLCall mindfully. If anyone knows how (that is, how to open a DLL designed for PluginOpen(), keep it open and use its functions, close it), that would be great. Thanks!

I guess when this feature was removed, there was a guide to help people transition, but I have not been able to locate that. Anyone?

;o) Cor

I you have knowledge of building a plugin dll, then I'm sure you can make a standard dll out of it and use it in AutoIt. This is really not very difficult. Then you can build a wrapper function around it and use it as always. 

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to
build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe
trying to produce bigger and better idiots.
So far, the Universe is winning.

I have a few DLLs that use the PluginOpen() architecture, which works superbly, by the way.

Okay, one is a hashing DLL which exports its functions in a way which is 100% backwards compatible with this:

Basically, you open the plugin..

$HashPlug = PluginOpen($hash_dll_location)

Then feed it a file path (string) and it returns the hash of that file (again, a string)..

$hash = FileHash($some_file_path)

Simple.

The first thing I did, when I realised PluginClose was killed, was try to use DLLCall with it, but using the exported function name (fileHash) produces nothing and using the ordinal value produces an error ("function" not found in the DLL file). And the result is always 0.

What am I missing?

;o) Cor

ehmm... maybe this?

_Crypt_HashFile()

Spoiler

UDF:

Apps:

Why do you use an external dll when the crypt functions can hash data. So issue 1 has been solved, use _Crypt_HashData(). Next issue?

UDF List:

With all due respect, you are missing the point. Besides..

Hashing 100MB file using using crypt = 1.4s. Using my DLL = 0.3s.

;o) Cor

Edited by corz

With all due respect, you are missing the point. Besides..

You want to create a MD5 hash of data? Correct? So please enlighten me, how did I miss the point or are you referring to the part in which I offered a function that is 1.3ms slower?

Also it's not "your" Dll, which is where this confusion has come from, as everyone believes you know what you're doing, but I have my doubts.

Edit: I am trying to help, right now I am look at the source of the Dll, so don't tell me I have missed the point.

Edited by guinness

UDF List:

It was suggested (above) that I could use DLLCall to access the functions of the DLL, and I asked how this could be done. That's what I am looking for. I will hopefully apply this knowledge to other plugins I have.

And yes, it is mine. I said it was compatible with the one in the link, indeed, shared some early code with it (Jon's plugin SDK was freely available), but has come a long, long way since, as evidenced by the speed of hashing.

I appreciate your effort and suggestion, and a function that can simply hash files may be useful to some, but when dealing with Terrabytes of data, its slowness is unacceptable.

If I need to rewrite the DLL into a "standard" library, sobeit, but coding C is a chore to me, and I'd rather not!

;o) Cor

I looked at the code for the dll but couldn't get it to work. Sorry.

UDF List: