Looking for some ideas on where to start (large project)

I have a client that has asked for a custom program to replace their current excel spreadsheet - and provide various additional functions at the same time.

We are looking at online solutions, though I think AutoIt would provide a cleaner look and feel.

However, it is rather complex (I think) and I'd appreciate some input from others on 

1. if it is within the realm of an AutoIt script

2. what general areas to look to make it all work

This client has approximately 200 vehicles in a car pool that they manage and they want to have a way to take them in/out of service (within their calendar system) by using this 'spreadsheet'.

Here's the challenge:

- spreadsheet will have to dip into the database to grab "Plate#" and bring back only the vehicles that the particular Dispatcher is in charge of (not difficult)

- be SORTABLE by column, selecting any of the currently entered data or 'All' to get everything back 

Plate # Replacement Plate # Status Milestone ID Owner Vehicle Type Manufacturer Model Year Issue Description Garage Date Sent To Garage/Date Will be sent to garage Target Return Date Actual ReturnDate Comments

- in some columns, there will be 'static' info - simply pulled from the database and painted ("Model" for example)

- some columns will need 'options' (that they want to control from the back - 'somehow' - not worried about that at the moment, any database editor should work) that will be in drop-down boxes and the user can change the info ("Garage" for example)

- some columns will need options that will then generate 'action', depending on what they are set to (basic for AutoIt - read the combo box and take action, which is why I like AutoIt for this) - for instance, the "Status" column will have drop downs for each Plate# to tell if the vehicle is "In Service", "Out of Service", etc. - and take appropriate actions in the background (deleting current reservations, creating a 'Service' reservation, etc. - all 'simple' with the system we use)

MY MAIN CONCERNS/QUESTIONS:

- how to SORT the columns (I think a ListView? but haven't much experience with them yet)

- within the sortable columns, can we create drop boxes with the various info?

- can we further only show X rows (this should be simple initially from the database dip - perhaps from each selection as well, doing it through a database for "this is all there is matching the request"?)

- how to best keep track of all the columns/changes? (they want this all to be 'magically updated', not make the changes then have a "GO" button of any kind)

And, of course, they want this by next Wednesday.........

Hope I've portrayed it enough to get your ideas working.  I've done some big-ish projects in AutoIt, but nothing like this yet.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts on the best approach to 'eat this elephant'.....

• Moderators

TechCoder,

Looking at your "MAIN CONCERNS/QUESTIONS" list I think a ListView with my GUIListViewEx UDF should fit much of the bill. You can initialise the ListView to sort on column header click; open a combo (or edit the content) on item doubleclick; all changes are internally tracked and can be pulled at any time. I suggest a quick try of the UDF and its examples (the link is in my sig) to see if you think it might be useful. :)

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

M23,

Figured some of your stuff would be the 'core' to make it all happen - looks like this UDF may do it all (with a lot of learning curve for me!)

the examples work great, #2 seems close to what I think we need (though no combo boxes inside the list - you said that is possible, so no worries)

Note that Example #4 is the same as #2 in the latest zip I just downloaded (even says $hGUI = GUICreate("LVEx Example 2", 640, 430) in line 11 - looks like just a mixed-up save)

I'll dig into it all more.

Do you customize (for a reasonable fee, of course)?  I have a lot of other bits these folks want and not sure I'll have time to learn and make the mods, so, if you are available.........

• Moderators

TechCoder,

Always happy to help get my UDFs working with other code - as long as it does not keep me from the golf course or the open skies. ;)

Thanks for pointing out the incorrect example title - it will be changed for the next release. :thumbsup:

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Spoiler

ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes

So, I guess that means you aren't just going to do everything for me......   :wacko:

Not even some "sample code - with exact examples showing exactly the function and terms I need for my project"??????   :D

The Lead on this has now decided he can do it all in html (good luck, I told him!) - when, to me, the 'hard' work is done in this UDF.

I've studied, used and even modified some UDFs for all kinds of things, but ListView is something I have yet to tackle.  Like anything, you need a reason to get off your rear end and learn it!  From the project list they have been 'growing' for me, it certainly will come in handy in the near future (and I'll look forward to the help from one of the top AutoIt  :sorcerer: s)

• Moderators

TechCoder,

So, I guess that means you aren't just going to do everything for me....

Correct. But I am quite happy to adapt the UDF if it does not do quite what you want. ;)

ListViews are complicated beasts - which is why I wrote the UDF to make manipulating them a little easier. What I need from you is a sample of the data that needs to be loaded (in the form it is returned from the database), a rough idea of the GUI in which it needs to be displayed, the edit/combo requirements (which columns, what combo content), and anything else likely to be useful. Then I can provide you with a basic script to show how to integrate the UDF - we can worry about bells and whistles later. :)

M23

Spoiler