GUICtrlSetBkColor changes button style to $BS_UGLY ;(

2Radon

This is frustrating.

$btnCreds = GUICtrlCreateButton("Set Username And Password", 40, 90, 250, 25)
; Creates it light gray and nicely rectangular with sharp corners

GUICtrlSetBkColor($btnCreds, $COLOR_RED)
; Changes the button's style to a MS Paint rounded corner rectangle. Ugh!

GUICtrlSetStyle($btnCreds, $GUI_SS_DEFAULT_BUTTON)
; Found this in forums, and it changes the color back to the default light gray also. ;(

Please save my button!

Your Repro script is incomplete.

here is working repro:

#include <ColorConstants.au3>
#include <GUIConstantsEx.au3>
#include <ButtonConstants.au3>

Example()

Func Example()
    ; Create a GUI with various controls.
    Local $hGUI = GUICreate("Example", 300, 200)

; Create a button control.
    Local $iNotepad = GUICtrlCreateButton("Run Notepad", 120, 170, 85, 25)
    Local $iClose = GUICtrlCreateButton("Close", 210, 170, 85, 25)

#Region REPRO
    $btnCreds = GUICtrlCreateButton("Set Username And Password", 40, 90, 250, 25)
    ; Creates it light gray and nicely rectangular with sharp corners

; Found this in forums, and it changes the color back to the default light gray also. ;(
    #EndRegion REPRO

; Display the GUI.
    GUISetState(@SW_SHOW, $hGUI)

Local $iPID = 0

; Loop until the user exits.
    While 1
        Switch GUIGetMsg()
            Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE, $iClose
                ExitLoop

Case $iNotepad
                ; Run Notepad with the window maximized.
                $iPID = Run("notepad.exe", "", @SW_SHOWMAXIMIZED)

EndSwitch
    WEnd

; Delete the previous GUI and all controls.
    GUIDelete($hGUI)

; Close the Notepad process using the PID returned by Run.
    If $iPID Then ProcessClose($iPID)
EndFunc   ;==>Example

And indeed there is "strange" behavior maybe a bug.

but solution is really easy:

first use 

GUICtrlSetStyle

and after that use

GUICtrlSetBkColor

Signature beginning:
Please remember: "AutoIt"..... *  Wondering who uses AutoIt and what it can be used for ? * Forum Rules *
ADO.au3 UDF * POP3.au3 UDF * XML.au3 UDF * IE on Windows 11 * How to ask ChatGPT for AutoIt Codefor other useful stuff click the following button:

Spoiler

Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind. 

My contribution (my own projects): * Debenu Quick PDF Library - UDF * Debenu PDF Viewer SDK - UDF * Acrobat Reader - ActiveX Viewer * UDF for PDFCreator v1.x.x * XZip - UDF * AppCompatFlags UDF * CrowdinAPI UDF * _WinMergeCompare2Files() * _JavaExceptionAdd() * _IsBeta() * Writing DPI Awareness App - workaround * _AutoIt_RequiredVersion() * Chilkatsoft.au3 UDF * TeamViewer.au3 UDF * JavaManagement UDF * VIES over SOAP * WinSCP UDF * GHAPI UDF - modest begining - comunication with GitHub REST APIErrorLog.au3 UDF - A logging Library * Include Dependency Tree (Tool for analyzing script relations) * Show_Macro_Values.au3 *

My contribution to others projects or UDF based on  others projects: * _sql.au3 UDF  * POP3.au3 UDF *  RTF Printer - UDF * XML.au3 UDF * ADO.au3 UDF SMTP Mailer UDF * Dual Monitor resolution detection * * 2GUI on Dual Monitor System * _SciLexer.au3 UDF * SciTE - Lexer for console pane

Useful links: * Forum Rules * Forum etiquette *  Forum Information and FAQs * How to post code on the forum * AutoIt Online Documentation * AutoIt Online Beta Documentation * SciTE4AutoIt3 getting started * Convert text blocks to AutoIt code * Games made in Autoit * Programming related sites * Polish AutoIt Tutorial * DllCall Code Generator * 

Wiki: Expand your knowledge - AutoIt Wiki * Collection of User Defined Functions * How to use HelpFile * Good coding practices in AutoIt * 

OpenOffice/LibreOffice/XLS Related: WriterDemo.au3 * XLS/MDB from scratch with ADOX

IE Related:  * How to use IE.au3  UDF with  AutoIt v3.3.14.x * Why isn't Autoit able to click a Javascript Dialog? * Clicking javascript button with no ID * IE document >> save as MHT file * IETab Switcher (by LarsJ ) * HTML Entities * _IEquerySelectorAll() (by uncommon) * IE in TaskSchedulerIE Embedded Control Versioning (use IE9+ and HTML5 in a GUI) * PDF Related:How to get reference to PDF object embeded in IE * IE on Windows 11

I encourage you to read: * Global Vars * Best Coding Practices * Please explain code used in Help file for several File functions * OOP-like approach in AutoIt * UDF-Spec Questions *  EXAMPLE: How To Catch ConsoleWrite() output to a file or to CMD *

I also encourage you to check awesome @trancexx code:  * Create COM objects from modules without any demand on user to register anything. * Another COM object registering stuffOnHungApp handlerAvoid "AutoIt Error" message box in unknown errors  * HTML editor

winhttp.au3 related : * https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/206771-winhttpau3-download-problem-youre-speaking-plain-http-to-an-ssl-enabled-server-port/

"Homo sum; humani nil a me alienum puto" - Publius Terentius Afer
"Program are meant to be read by humans and only incidentally for computers and execute" - Donald Knuth, "The Art of Computer Programming"
:naughty:  :ranting:, be  :) and       \\//_.

Anticipating Errors :  "Any program that accepts data from a user must include code to validate that data before sending it to the data store. You cannot rely on the data store, ...., or even your programming language to notify you of problems. You must check every byte entered by your users, making sure that data is the correct type for its field and that required fields are not empty."

Signature last update: 2023-04-24

so what you want to achieve with this:

Signature beginning:
Please remember: "AutoIt"..... *  Wondering who uses AutoIt and what it can be used for ? * Forum Rules *
ADO.au3 UDF * POP3.au3 UDF * XML.au3 UDF * IE on Windows 11 * How to ask ChatGPT for AutoIt Codefor other useful stuff click the following button:

Spoiler

Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind. 

My contribution (my own projects): * Debenu Quick PDF Library - UDF * Debenu PDF Viewer SDK - UDF * Acrobat Reader - ActiveX Viewer * UDF for PDFCreator v1.x.x * XZip - UDF * AppCompatFlags UDF * CrowdinAPI UDF * _WinMergeCompare2Files() * _JavaExceptionAdd() * _IsBeta() * Writing DPI Awareness App - workaround * _AutoIt_RequiredVersion() * Chilkatsoft.au3 UDF * TeamViewer.au3 UDF * JavaManagement UDF * VIES over SOAP * WinSCP UDF * GHAPI UDF - modest begining - comunication with GitHub REST APIErrorLog.au3 UDF - A logging Library * Include Dependency Tree (Tool for analyzing script relations) * Show_Macro_Values.au3 *

My contribution to others projects or UDF based on  others projects: * _sql.au3 UDF  * POP3.au3 UDF *  RTF Printer - UDF * XML.au3 UDF * ADO.au3 UDF SMTP Mailer UDF * Dual Monitor resolution detection * * 2GUI on Dual Monitor System * _SciLexer.au3 UDF * SciTE - Lexer for console pane

Useful links: * Forum Rules * Forum etiquette *  Forum Information and FAQs * How to post code on the forum * AutoIt Online Documentation * AutoIt Online Beta Documentation * SciTE4AutoIt3 getting started * Convert text blocks to AutoIt code * Games made in Autoit * Programming related sites * Polish AutoIt Tutorial * DllCall Code Generator * 

Wiki: Expand your knowledge - AutoIt Wiki * Collection of User Defined Functions * How to use HelpFile * Good coding practices in AutoIt * 

OpenOffice/LibreOffice/XLS Related: WriterDemo.au3 * XLS/MDB from scratch with ADOX

IE Related:  * How to use IE.au3  UDF with  AutoIt v3.3.14.x * Why isn't Autoit able to click a Javascript Dialog? * Clicking javascript button with no ID * IE document >> save as MHT file * IETab Switcher (by LarsJ ) * HTML Entities * _IEquerySelectorAll() (by uncommon) * IE in TaskSchedulerIE Embedded Control Versioning (use IE9+ and HTML5 in a GUI) * PDF Related:How to get reference to PDF object embeded in IE * IE on Windows 11

I encourage you to read: * Global Vars * Best Coding Practices * Please explain code used in Help file for several File functions * OOP-like approach in AutoIt * UDF-Spec Questions *  EXAMPLE: How To Catch ConsoleWrite() output to a file or to CMD *

I also encourage you to check awesome @trancexx code:  * Create COM objects from modules without any demand on user to register anything. * Another COM object registering stuffOnHungApp handlerAvoid "AutoIt Error" message box in unknown errors  * HTML editor

winhttp.au3 related : * https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/206771-winhttpau3-download-problem-youre-speaking-plain-http-to-an-ssl-enabled-server-port/

"Program are meant to be read by humans and only incidentally for computers and execute" - Donald Knuth, "The Art of Computer Programming"

Anticipating Errors :  "Any program that accepts data from a user must include code to validate that data before sending it to the data store. You cannot rely on the data store, ...., or even your programming language to notify you of problems. You must check every byte entered by your users, making sure that data is the correct type for its field and that required fields are not empty."

look here: GUICtrlCreateButton

To combine styles with the default style use BitOR( $GUI_SS_DEFAULT_BUTTON, newstyle, ... ).

Now i think this is not strange but intentional=standard behavior.

Signature beginning:

Spoiler

It seems to its behavior belongs to Windows Settings or you 

here is my results:

UglyButton.png

Can you show me your results form my repro.

EDIT:

Did you use any othere styles to build your GUI ?

EIDT2:

remember to change order:

Edited by mLipok

Signature beginning:

Spoiler

No it is simply the buttons, there is no other case or scene or anything at all!! Whatever you do BkColor wants it to look so ugly!

In your picture it is the same, no need to show. Look at your repro button and look at my button picture I posted above. compare the way the top button looks to the way bottom buttons look. BkColor makes it stylistically look like that. CtrlStyle resets the color back to default while BkColor sets the style to that ugly one.

• Moderators

2Radon,

Be careful because colouring buttons can cause problems - such as the button being captured by the {ENTER} key and, as you have noticed, all styles being removed. This is due to a bug deep in the AutoIt core code which will not be fixed until that code is rewritten (i.e. probably never). ;)

My advice - do not colour buttons. :)

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

As close as I could get :)...

; http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/113811-guictrlbutton-settextcolor/
; based on post by Yashied

#include <GUIButton.au3>
#include <GUIImageList.au3>
#include <WinAPI.au3>
#include <WindowsConstants.au3>

GUICreate('MyGUI', 200, 100)
GUICtrlCreateButton('OK', 65, 10, 70, 23)
GUICtrlCreateButton('OK', 65, 40, 70, 23)
GUICtrlSetBkColor(-1, 0x00FF00)
GUICtrlCreateButton('', 65, 70, 70, 23)
_GUICtrlButton_SetTextBkColor(-1, 'OK', 0xFF0000, 0x00FF00)
GUISetState()

Do
Until GUIGetMsg() = -3

Func _GUICtrlButton_SetTextBkColor($iCtrlID, $sText, $iTextColor, $iBkColor)

Local $hWnd, $hTheme, $hImageList, $hBitmap, $hBack, $hDC, $hMemDC, $hSrcDC, $tRect, $pRect, $Width, $Height, $Prev, $Flags = BitOR($DT_CENTER, $DT_SINGLELINE, $DT_VCENTER)

$hWnd = GUICtrlGetHandle($iCtrlID)
If Not $hWnd Then
Return 0
EndIf
$hTheme = DllCall('uxtheme.dll', 'ptr', 'OpenThemeData', 'hwnd', $hWnd, 'wstr', 'BUTTON')
If (@error) Or (Not $hTheme[0]) Then
GUICtrlSetColor($iCtrlID, $iTextColor)
GUICtrlSetData($iCtrlID, $sText)
Return 1
EndIf
$Width = _WinAPI_GetClientWidth($hWnd)
$Height = _WinAPI_GetClientHeight($hWnd)
$hImageList = _GUIImageList_Create($Width - 8, $Height - 8, 4, 4)
$tRect = DllStructCreate('int[4]')
DllStructSetData($tRect, 1, -4, 1)
DllStructSetData($tRect, 1, -4, 2)
DllStructSetData($tRect, 1, $Width - 4, 3)
DllStructSetData($tRect, 1, $Height - 4, 4)
$pRect = DllStructGetPtr($tRect)
$hDC = _WinAPI_GetDC(0)
$hMemDC = _WinAPI_CreateCompatibleDC($hDC)
$hSrcDC = _WinAPI_CreateCompatibleDC($hDC)
$hBitmap = _WinAPI_CreateCompatibleBitmap($hDC, $Width - 8, $Height - 8)

;$hBack = _WinAPI_CreateCompatibleBitmap($hDC, $Width - 8, $Height - 8)
$hBack = _WinAPI_CreateSolidBitmap($hWnd, $iBkColor, $Width - 8, $Height - 8)

_WinAPI_ReleaseDC(0, $hDC)
_WinAPI_SelectObject($hSrcDC, $hBack)
_WinAPI_SelectObject($hMemDC, _SendMessage($hWnd, $WM_GETFONT))
_WinAPI_SetTextColor($hMemDC, BitOR(BitAND($iTextColor, 0x00FF00), BitShift(BitAND($iTextColor, 0x0000FF), -16), BitShift(BitAND($iTextColor, 0xFF0000), 16)))

_WinAPI_SetBkMode($hMemDC, $TRANSPARENT)

; PBS_NORMAL, PBS_HOT, PBS_PRESSED, PBS_DISABLED, PBS_DEFAULTED
For $i = 1 To 5
$Prev = _WinAPI_SelectObject($hMemDC, $hBitmap)
DllCall('uxtheme.dll', 'int', 'DrawThemeBackground', 'ptr', $hTheme[0], 'hwnd', $hSrcDC, 'int', 4, 'int', $i, 'ptr', $pRect, 'ptr', 0)
_WinAPI_BitBlt($hMemDC, 0, 0, $Width - 8, $Height - 8, $hSrcDC, 0, 0, $MERGECOPY)
If $i = 4 Then
DllCall('uxtheme.dll', 'int', 'DrawThemeText', 'ptr', $hTheme[0], 'hwnd', $hMemDC, 'int', 1, 'int', 4, 'wstr', $sText, 'int', -1, 'dword', $Flags, 'dword', 0, 'ptr', $pRect)
Else
_WinAPI_DrawText($hMemDC, $sText, $tRect, $Flags)
EndIf
_WinAPI_SelectObject($hMemDC, $Prev)
_GUIImageList_Add($hImageList, $hBitmap)
Next
; PBS_HOT (Stylus Hot)
_GUIImageList_SetImageCount($hImageList, 6)
_GUIImageList_Copy($hImageList, 1, 5)
_WinAPI_DeleteDC($hMemDC)
_WinAPI_DeleteDC($hSrcDC)
_WinAPI_DeleteObject($hBitmap)
_WinAPI_DeleteObject($hBack)
DllCall('uxtheme.dll', 'int', 'CloseThemeData', 'ptr', $hTheme[0])
$Prev = _GUICtrlButton_GetImageList($hWnd)
If $Prev[0] Then
_GUIImageList_Destroy($Prev[0])
EndIf
GUICtrlSetData($iCtrlID, '')
If Not _GUICtrlButton_SetImageList($hWnd, $hImageList, 4) Then
_GUIImageList_Destroy($hImageList)
Return 0
EndIf
Return 1
EndFunc   ;==>_GUICtrlButton_SetTextBkColor

Here a version using GDI+ (works only on 3.3.10.0+ versions):

#include <ButtonConstants.au3>
#include <GDIPlus.au3>
#include <GUIConstantsEx.au3>
#include <WindowsConstants.au3>

_GDIPlus_Startup()
Global Const $hGUI = GUICreate("Colored Buttons using GDI+", 600, 300)
Global Const $iBtn1 = GUICtrlCreateButton("Default", 125, 75, 150, 150)
GUICtrlSetFont(-1, 14.5, 400, 0, "Arial", 4)
Global Const $iBtn2 = GUICtrlCreateButton("", 325, 75, 150, 150, $BS_BITMAP)
Global Const $hBmp = _GDIPlus_BtnCtrlSetBgColor($iBtn2, "Colored", 146, 146)
GUISetState()

Do
    Switch GUIGetMsg()
        Case $iBtn1
            MsgBox(0, "Test", "Default button has been pressed")
        Case $iBtn2
            MsgBox(0, "Test", "Colored button has been pressed")
        Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
            _WinAPI_DeleteObject($hBmp)
            _GDIPlus_Shutdown()
            GUIDelete()
            Exit
    EndSwitch
Until False

Func _GDIPlus_BtnCtrlSetBgColor($iBtn, $sText, $iW, $iH, $iStartColor = 0xF0FFFFF0, $iEndColor = 0x4040FF40, $sFontSize = 14, $sFont = "Arial") ;coded by UEZ 2014
    Local Const $hBitmap = _GDIPlus_BitmapCreateFromScan0($iW, $iH)
    Local Const $hGfx = _GDIPlus_ImageGetGraphicsContext($hBitmap)
;~  _GDIPlus_GraphicsSetSmoothingMode($hGfx, $GDIP_SMOOTHINGMODE_HIGHQUALITY)
    _GDIPlus_GraphicsSetTextRenderingHint($hGfx, 4)
    Local Const $hBrush_Bg = _GDIPlus_LineBrushCreate($iW / 8, 0, $iW / 2, $iH - $iH / 8, $iStartColor, $iEndColor, 1)
;~  _GDIPlus_LineBrushSetLinearBlend($hBrush_Bg, 0.15, 0.999)
    _GDIPlus_GraphicsFillRect($hGfx, 0, 0, $iW, $iH, $hBrush_Bg)
    Local $hBrush_Txt = _GDIPlus_BrushCreateSolid(0xFF000000)
    Local $hFamily = _GDIPlus_FontFamilyCreate($sFont)
    Local $hFont = _GDIPlus_FontCreate($hFamily, $sFontSize)
    Local $hLayout = _GDIPlus_RectFCreate(0, 0, $iW, $iH)
    Local $hStringFormat = _GDIPlus_StringFormatCreate()
    _GDIPlus_StringFormatSetAlign($hStringFormat, 1)
    _GDIPlus_StringFormatSetLineAlign($hStringFormat, 1)
    _GDIPlus_GraphicsDrawStringEx($hGfx, $sText, $hFont, $hLayout, $hStringFormat, $hBrush_Txt)
    Local Const $hGDIBitmap = _GDIPlus_BitmapCreateHBITMAPFromBitmap($hBitmap)
    _WinAPI_DeleteObject(_SendMessage(GUICtrlGetHandle($iBtn), $BM_SETIMAGE, $IMAGE_BITMAP, $hGDIBitmap))
    _GDIPlus_BrushDispose($hBrush_Bg)
    _GDIPlus_BrushDispose($hBrush_Txt)
    _GDIPlus_FontFamilyDispose($hFamily)
    _GDIPlus_FontDispose($hFont)
    _GDIPlus_StringFormatDispose($hStringFormat)
    _GDIPlus_GraphicsDispose($hGfx)
    _GDIPlus_BitmapDispose($hBitmap)
    Return $hGDIBitmap
EndFunc

Br,

UEZ

Edited by UEZ

Please don't send me any personal message and ask for support! I will not reply!

Selection of finest graphical examples at Codepen.io

The own fart smells best!
Her 'sikim hıyar' diyene bir avuç tuz alıp koşma!
¯\_(ツ)_/¯  ٩(●̮̮̃•̃)۶ ٩(-̮̮̃-̃)۶ૐ