Plan

Kern

Hello all,

I am new to this forum and new to the world of AutoIt.

Im reading stuff around on the forum for a while now and I find all this programming really interesting. 
Now since i don't have any programming background ( but got the feeling i understand it all quite fast what i read so far ) I want to make a plan of attack for learning. And i was wondering if u guys could help me a bit with it.

Next week i will be at home again and then i want to start learning and playing with AutoIt.

So my first step is too start with the tutorial Learning to script with AutoIt V3 from BrettF and go through the Wiki page more ( allready looked around for some time )

But what would be a good step after that.. tutorial and reading wise? 
I could also jump straight in the program and just play around and learn like this but i think its beter to follow some tutorials first and read so i got a solid base and then start playing.

I don't have any plan yet on what kinda script(s) i  want too make in the future but i think that will come by the time when your busy with this.. for now it's just to interesting for me and i like to learn new stuff :)

Is it also possible to install the editor on a Android tablet? so i can bring it to my work ( its on sea ) and practice here in the future after my shifts.

Thanks in advance guys :)

• Moderators

Kern,

First, welcome to the AutoIt forums. :)

my first step is too start with the tutorial Learning to script with AutoIt V3 from BrettF

An excellent idea and exactly what I would have suggested - so consider yourself off to a good start! :thumbsup:

As you have no specific goal in view, I would suggest looking carefully at some of the example scripts in the Help file and changing them slightly to see if you get the result you think you should. That way you get a good feel for how the different parameters work. Then I would suggest choosing some of the forum threads that interest you and seeing how the problem was solved by the more experienced coders here - their code often shows some of the more interesting ways in which you can use AutoIt. ;)

As to using the editor on an Android tablet, I think you will find it very frustrating to be able to code but not to run the scripts. But there used to be an online compiler in the Examples section - perhaps that might help. :)

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

Thanks for your quick reply Melba23!

That's a good one to look how the pro's are solving problems. Maybe i will even get my favorite coder ;) 

When i'm at that point i will take a look in too the online compiler.. sounds very interesting though ( the coding behind it )

For now i just have to be patience because i got one more week to go on sea...Wish i could start haha

• 2 weeks later...

I read the whole Learning to script with AutoIt pdf, and it was very interesting and put together really well.. i think i need to read it again after a bit because it's alot of information to remember.

Since i finished it i just couldn't resist it and i wanted to play a bit.. So i played around with Koda to make an GUI.. ( this works really well.. wow! ) But it looks so basic.. i wonder if u can make nicer graphics with it?

So on the moment im stuck now with my Playing around to learn script.

#include <ButtonConstants.au3>
#include <GUIConstantsEx.au3>
#include <StaticConstants.au3>
#include <WindowsConstants.au3>

$Stick2Me = GUICreate("Stick2Me", 395, 196, 189, 123)
$Home = GUICtrlCreateMenu("&Home")
$Exit = GUICtrlCreateMenuItem("Exit", $Home)
$About = GUICtrlCreateMenu("&About")
$Abou = GUICtrlCreateMenuItem("About", $About)
$Group1 = GUICtrlCreateGroup("Start", 6, 24, 129, 65)
GUICtrlSetFont(-1, 12, 400, 0, "Cooper Black")
GUICtrlSetBkColor(-1, 0x00FF00)
$Button1 = GUICtrlCreateButton("F1", 16, 56, 75, 25)
GUICtrlCreateGroup("", -99, -99, 1, 1)
$Group2 = GUICtrlCreateGroup("Stop", 6, 111, 129, 65)
GUICtrlSetFont(-1, 12, 400, 0, "Cooper Black")
GUICtrlSetBkColor(-1, 0xFF0000)
$Button2 = GUICtrlCreateButton("F3", 16, 144, 75, 25)
GUICtrlCreateGroup("", -99, -99, 1, 1)
$Label1 = GUICtrlCreateLabel("Press F1 to Start.", 161, 24, 125, 17)
$Label2 = GUICtrlCreateLabel("Press F3 to Stop.", 161, 111, 125, 17)
GUISetState(@SW_SHOW)

While 1
    $nMsg = GUIGetMsg()
    Switch $nMsg
        Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
            Exit

EndSwitch
WEnd

HotKeySet("{F1}","_Start")
HotKeySet("{F3}","_Terminate")

Func _Terminate()
    Exit 0
EndFunc

Func _Start()

While 1
          MouseClick("left")
      WEnd

EndFunc

The problem i can't seem to solve on my own is how the heck i let the script start by using a Start hotkey ( is this even possible? ) but also on the same time let a click on a button start the script. ( I can't see what i did wrong, with this use of the help file and tutorial this should be right . )
I couldnt come up with a script for it yet ( got to go step by step else it will get to messy ) so i just made it a simple mousclick.. it's just playing and learning anyhow.
I don't know if my Stop hotkey works because i cant start the script haha. I feel so noobish, but yet this is so much fun and too interesting.

I hope someone can give me a push in the right direction.

Thanks.

Your HotKeySet commands are after the While loop, so they're never activated. Put them at the top of your script.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

Your HotKeySet commands are after the While loop, so they're never activated. Put them at the top of your script.

Thanks for the fast reply!

Can't beleave it was such an easy solution haha. Now i can confirm that the Stop hotkey works aswell. Only it closes the whole GUI instead of just stopping the script. Next challenge :D

The Exit keyword tells the script to exit, stop running. So when you run the terminate function, the script closes.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

Morning,

Yeah i understand that mate, so as a solution for this i thinki have to change the exit function in too a Pause function. Atleast thats my plan.. i go try to make  it and see what happens, ill keep you updated.

*update*

Awesome! Pause function made it work.. this is really cool everytime overcome a "problem/issue" and learn from it. wonder where i will be in 1 year haha.

There is a "bug" though.. because when the script is running and i press any button it makes the script go stuck,and i cant do anything anymore except for smashing F3 ( pause ) few times then it stops or ESC ( terminate whole script )

So example : Script is running and type something it freezes .. even if i just press Shift button or something.. any button. Is this normall? i thought u could just use your computer normally when a script is running ( except for the hotkeys u set because they will activate/deactivate something in your script )

Edited by Kern

With the script you made I don't believe you can use the computer at all, unless you changed it to do something else beside spamming the left mouse button, I ran the script and started typing, nothing froze, the script kept clicking my mouse's left click and of course marking everything I write which gets overwritten :P

To use the buttons to call functions you need to add 'cases' for them inside the GUI loop

While 1
    $nMsg = GUIGetMsg()
    Switch $nMsg
        Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
            Exit
        Case $Button1
            Call("_Start")
        Case $Button2
            Call("_Terminate")
    EndSwitch
WEnd

Sorry for the late respond, was really busy yesterday.

When i do nothing the script runs perfect but when im in a programm ( i tried Firefox,words,excel ) and the script is running and i press one button ( not one of the hotkeys ) then the script freezes and i have to terminate it and restart it.

I dont know if its possible because i just woke up and just came with the idea.. but seems like i need to give keys a function that u can press/hold it and it wont  interupt the script ( cliking the mouse )

Thanks for the info about the buttons. I did manage that myself yesterday aswell.. wasnt so hard :D first time using case tho for me.

I really like this way of learning/playing around for myself because you come along alot of problems and they need to be solved. So in the future if i would write a real script and i come across same kind of problems it will be easily regonized and fixed :D