Ping forum user MhZ.

MhZ, it seems you still lurk in the forums? If so, way back in 2006 sometime you gave me some invaluable advice on creating help files. Yes, I know it's not something you recall. I downloaded the new version today of AutoIt and recompiled some scripts I had into executables and dang my doodahs, the scripts ran 100%. In 2006, I wrote some functions in AutoIt to perform various permutation and combinatorial maths (it's a long story). I finished development in 2006 and I set about writing some help documentation which had a sort of look like AutoIt's online help files had at that time. I asked the forum for some advice on what tools AutoIt might have used and you pointed me in the direction of Nvu and HTML Help Workshop as possible candidates. I used them and the .chm file still works okay. I don't have either of those tools you recommended at that time.

I need to create some more scripts and I also want to document their usage. Since 2006, help file creation may have moved on. Would you, or anyone else, care to say if they are still useful tools or are there better products (preferably free) you'd recommend instead? It looks like both might still be available but having been bitten by those nasty people who inseminate your PC with advert malware, I'm loathe to download yesterday's heroes who now with age against them, might now be duds with no future.

The look and feel of AutoIt's help doesn't appear to have changed much in eight years so the old system probably works just as well now as it did then. So perhaps the tools have got better, or possibly not.

Comments appreciated.

Edited by Peter Hamilton-Scott

Ah, long time ago. I have reminded myself from your old post >here.

AFAIK, NVU stopped development and a derivative started with KompoZer. The latter worked fine IIRC though it may still have bugs so save often to prevent loss of effort. KompoZer has stopped development as well so it is what it is. I have not had much to do with WYSIWYG HTML editors since then and do it by hand with the initial help of templates.

I still use HTML Help Workshop and it has not been updated AFAIK since last you may have used it. The AutoIt3 help file is compiled with HTML Help Workshop FYI.

These are perhaps simple tools but they achieve the purpose that I consider that you may want for your task.

IIRC, someone did a script in the Examples forum for creating a help file for UDFs using HTML Help Workshop that is perhaps worth a search for.

It is nice to enjoy a chat with you again. :)

By Harry! I wondered if you'd even remember it from eight years ago, almost to the day but I'm glad you did. I see you are now an MVP so you went from being an MHz to an MVP just by changing two letters. I suppose that means we have to call you General or Sir now. Thanks for heads-up on what's old, dead, possibly new. I'll research it further. Thanks.