Automatic installation of network path software

Hello everyone.

I have been a while away from AutoIt and have forgotten alot.
I am trying to make a script that will install software from a network location.
My problem starts when I am trying to make the script more smooth by passing the "You need administrative rights to run this program".
I added the "RequireAdmin" at the start of the script so that it wouldn't pop up as the software launched, but now the script doesn't even find the software.
What am I not seeing?

#include <Process.au3>
#RequireAdmin

$short = FileGetShortName("\\domain\...$\...\.. .. ..\...\SetupClient.exe")
$result = FileExists($short)

If $result Then
MsgBox(0, "", "File exists")
_RunDos('"\\domain\...$\...\.. .. ..\...\SetupClient.exe"')
WinWait("SetupClient")
MsgBox(0, "", "test")
Else
MsgBox(0, "", "File doesn't exist")
EndIf

Challenge accepted!

Here the network share is assigned by the logon script to the user.

Admins most of the time do not get the same shares.

So I think you need to access the network share in your script when running as admin.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

The network share should be the same for admins and users as I am using the direct path "servernamefolder$.....".
Anyways it should work without these changes as I am running the script with my admin account and not a user.

Challenge accepted!

Do you get the UAC prompt?

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

I doubt FileGetShortName will work as expected over a network. With testing, I find that as soon as the filename is larger then a 8.3 filename, then an unusual filename is returned.

Perhaps you can try this and see if the same happens to you

$short = FileGetShortName("\\domain\...$\...\.. .. ..\...\SetupClient.exe")
$result = FileExists($short)
MsgBox(0, $result, $short)

I tried 123456789.exe and get returned 11E83H~I.EXE. Yes, that is an I (eye) rather then a usual 1 (one) in the filename.

It does work if I remove the #RequireAdmin in the script.
The FileGetShortName shouldn't be a problem but checked nontheless.
I do get a shortened pathname which is that I want(because the path contains spaces).

Heres a picture of the parts that gets shortened.
30ax5if.png

I manage to run the software when I remove the #RequireAdmin from the script, but then the UAC prompts only when the script gets to the installation bit.
This creates several problems as I want to install several pieces of software in one go.

Challenge accepted!

I tried using the Run() command, but as it didn't work I ended up using _RunDOS()
I tried again, and Run() simply wont run the software. The UAC prompts, but nothing happens.

Could there be a problem with Run() and network paths?

Challenge accepted!

It could be a security setting blocking it. I am testing on Windows 7 Pro.

Try ShellExecute as it might read the files manifest better. I used runas as a parameter with it else I would get a security prompt before execution.

#RequireAdmin

ShellExecute('"\\domain\...$\...\.. .. ..\...\SetupClient.exe"', '', @TempDir, 'runas')

; or

If FileChangeDir('\\domain\...$\...\.. .. ..\...') Then
Run('SetupClient.exe', @TempDir)
Else
MsgBox(0x40030, @ScriptName, 'Could not change working directory')
EndIf

FileChangeDir usually works over a network so you could try that to make the path a little simpler. Also test with a working dir such as @TempDir or @SystemDir.

ShellExecute has the same problems as _RunDos() and Run().
It won't run the script if I have the #RequireAdmin in my script.

FileChangeDir didn't do anything(with or without #RequireAdmin).

Challenge accepted!