Interesting to layman

mohitag19

Hi, I have been using AutoIt for quite some time now but a friend today got me into thinking about its interesting uses. I showed him a script that I wrote for automating mundane tasks like opening all my usual work related programs (microsoft visual studio, notepad++, unix editor, chrome browser etc) whenever I boot my PC. But, apart from that I couldn't impress him with anything that can be done with AutoIT. Do you know any such example scripts which can draw a layman to AutoIt? Ideas will also do, I can code :-)

Edited by mohitag19

i always point to eukalptus' beast of a GDI+ example when asked about the 'most impressive' script.

,-. .--. ________ .-. .-. ,---. ,-. .-. .-. .-.
|(| / /\ \ |\ /| |__ __||| | | || .-' | |/ / \ \_/ )/
(_) / /__\ \ |(\ / | )| | | `-' | | `-. | | / __ \ (_)
| | | __ | (_)\/ | (_) | | .-. | | .-' | | \ |__| ) (
| | | | |)| | \ / | | | | | |)| | `--. | |) \ | |
`-' |_| (_) | |\/| | `-' /( (_)/( __.' |((_)-' /(_|
'-' '-' (__) (__) (_) (__)

For the given example I would just put a shortcut to those programs in my startup folder.

What made the best use for me here that impressed others was automating complicated install processes, and being able to query databases with interactive inputs via the MySql UDF.

Also I made a GUI that has buttons to perform a ton of tasks that are required when imaging new computers.

> Change PC Name & Description

> Disable Firewall

> Disable UAC

> Enable Remote Assistance

> Map Network Share

> Etc...

So basically think of anything that normally takes a lot of time/work hands on (That you need to do on a regular basis) and find ways to make it hands off :)