Script to automate OpenOffice?

Hello all,

I stumbled on this software and it seems to be the solution to my problem. I'm looking to install Open Office on multiple users (about 40). I would like to automate that task to have the user just run the script and it'll install by itself. I followed the WinZip tutorial, and so far it only works to the un-packing the software. After it unpacks it doesn't continue with the install. Possibly missing a step or two? any advice would be great. Thanks!

• Moderators

Once you unpack the installation files, you should be able to run a silent install.

ShellExecuteWait(@ScriptDir & "\Setup.exe", "/qn")

If you want to customize the installation first, I would run the executable with the /a parameter and do an administrative install.

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!

Once you unpack the installation files, you should be able to run a silent install.

ShellExecuteWait(@ScriptDir & "\Setup.exe", "/qn")

If you want to customize the installation first, I would run the executable with the /a parameter and do an administrative install.

Kind of a newb at this, it runs the un-packing but it running the install twice now  :ermm:

Run ("OOo_3.3.0_Win_x86_install-wJRE_en-US.exe")

WinWaitActive ("OpenOffice.org 3.3 Installation Preparation", "&Next")
Send ("!n")

WinWaitActive ("OpenOffice.org 3.3 Installation Preparation", "&Unpack")
Send ("!u")

ShellExecuteWait(@ScriptDir & "\OOo_3.3.0_Win_x86_install-wJRE_en-US.exe", "/qn")

WinWaitActive ("OpenOffice.org 3.3 Installation Preparation", "Welcome to the Installation Wizard")
Send ("!n")

WinWaitActive ("OpenOffice.org 3.3 - Installation Preparation", "Customer Information")
Send ("!n")

WinWaitActive ("OpenOffice.org 3.3 - Installation Preparation", "Setup Type")
Send ("!n")

WinWaitActive ("OpenOffice.org 3.3 - Installation Preparation", "Ready to Install the Program")
Send ("!i")

• Moderators

First off, why not just unpack the files and place them where you want to do the install, rather than doing it in your script? From there, you should be able to simply run it with /qn, and you don't have to interact with the GUI at all. It appears that you are installing for a much older version, but with the latest (4.1.1), setup.exe /qn from the unpacked files gives you a completely silent install, except for a brief flash if the vc++ is not already installed. But nothing you have to click on.

If you are not finding the same behavior with the /qn switch, it may not have been available in that version.

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

First off, why not just unpack the files and place them where you want to do the install, rather than doing it in your script? From there, you should be able to simply run it with /qn, and you don't have to interact with the GUI at all. It appears that you are installing for a much older version, but with the latest (4.1.1), setup.exe /qn from the unpacked files gives you a completely silent install, except for a brief flash if the vc++ is not already installed. But nothing you have to click on.

If you are not finding the same behavior with the /qn switch, it may not have been available in that version.

Thanks I tried LibreOffice instead and it ran without any issues. 

One more question can this be ran as an Administrator? 

• Moderators

Yes, look at RunAs in the help file if you want to enter specific credentials. Or look at #RequireAdmin if you're meaning just the UAC prompt.