Generating a hex numbers

Go to solution Solved by donotknownothing,

Hi to all,

this is my first project in autoit3 and I am really a newbie. I tried to make small gui utility, but.... after 7 days of reading forum and two pdfs, I only made next code which do not work.

Final goal is to enter some hex value in inputbox1 as starting value, other hex value in inputbox2 as ending value and later (need to add one more inputbox to enter step) to generate (print in file) all values from start to end values. I am far away from it...

Now I just trying to understand some things,so, for start even and sum of two hex values is good enough.

Can You help me with this:

- how to restrict inputbox to accept only hex chars (0-9, and A,B,C,D,E,F) ? I tried to make function for it....but not work.

The best would be to not allow entering non hex values, if it is not possible, then just erasing inputbox with would be fine.

- why MsgBox shows wrong hex values (for example if I enter 1111 and 1111 MsgBox will show 914 instead of 8AE) ?

Here is "code"  :idiot: :

#include <StaticConstants.au3>
#include <WindowsConstants.au3>
#include <GUIConstantsEx.au3>
Global $x

#Region ### START Koda GUI section ### Form=C:\Users\Administrator\Desktop\Form1.kxf
$Form1 = GUICreate("Form1", 170, 177, 192, 114)
$Input1 = GUICtrlCreateInput("", 48, 40, 97, 21)
GUICtrlSetLimit($Input1,4) ; limits InputBox2 to 4 chars
$Input2 = GUICtrlCreateInput("", 48, 80, 97, 21)
GUICtrlSetLimit($Input2,4) ; limits InputBox2 to 4 chars
$Label1 = GUICtrlCreateLabel("START", 8, 40, 40, 17)
$Label2 = GUICtrlCreateLabel("END", 8, 80, 27, 17)
$Button1 = GUICtrlCreateButton("Generate", 32, 128, 105, 25)
$Label3= GUICtrlCreateLabel("", 8, 105, 150, 25)
GUISetState(@SW_SHOW) ; show form
#EndRegion ### END Koda GUI section ###

While 1
    $nMsg = GUIGetMsg()
    Switch $nMsg
        Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
            Exit
         Case $Button1 ; on Button1 click do next:
            ;GUICtrlSetData ($label3, "New text for label")
            if Inputcheck($Input1) = 0 Then
               GUICtrlSetData($Input1,"")
            EndIf
            MsgBox(0,"NOTICE","You typed: " & (Hex(GUICtrlRead($Input1))+Hex(GUICtrlRead($Input2))))
    EndSwitch
WEnd

Func Inputcheck($x) ; it should check is allowed HEX char entered in InputBox
   Local $y
   $y=StringIsXDigit($x)
   if $y <> 1 Then
      Return 0
   EndIf

EndFunc
Edited by donotknownothing

Why do you need it restricted to hex numbers? Hex is just base 16 versus base 10 number scheme. There's nothing magical about hex values.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

Yes, my point was that hex numbers aren't anything special. 0-F in hex is nothing more than a different way to display the numbers 0-15 in decimal. You can convert them to hex, but they don't need to be in hex unless the program you're working with doesn't understand base 10 numbering. 

If you really really need them to be entered in hex, there are a lot of examples posted of how to restrict the input on a control.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

I don't know what you mean by "1111 gives 914 instead of 8AE". 0x1111 hex is 4369 decimal, 914 decimal is 0x0392 in hex. Your results make no sense given your posted numbers.

You mistake is that you read the numbers from the input but these numbers are read as a strings. You have to convert it to integer before you can calculate it with Hex().

Change those lines to add the 2 numbers from the input fields:

MsgBox(0,"NOTICE","You typed: " & Hex(Int(GUICtrlRead($Input1)) + Int(GUICtrlRead($Input2)), 8))
    EndSwitch

Br,

UEZ

Edited by UEZ

Please don't send me any personal message and ask for support! I will not reply!

Selection of finest graphical examples at Codepen.io

The own fart smells best!
Her 'sikim hıyar' diyene bir avuç tuz alıp koşma!
¯\_(ツ)_/¯  ٩(●̮̮̃•̃)۶ ٩(-̮̮̃-̃)۶ૐ

- why MsgBox shows wrong hex values (for example if I enter 1111 and 1111 MsgBox will show 914 instead of 8AE) ?

You say hex values are entered into the input boxes.  But decimal 1111 + decimal 1111 = 0x8AE

You will find 0x1111 + 0x1111 = 0x2222

I modified your example.

#include <EditConstants.au3>

Global $x
; - why MsgBox shows wrong hex values (for example if I enter 1111 and 1111 MsgBox will show 914 instead of 8AE) ?
#region ### START Koda GUI section ### Form=C:\Users\Administrator\Desktop\Form1.kxf
$Input1 = GUICtrlCreateInput("0x1111", 48, 40, 97, 21)
GUICtrlSetLimit($Input1, 6) ; limits InputBox2 to 4 chars
$Input2 = GUICtrlCreateInput("0x1111", 48, 80, 97, 21)
GUICtrlSetLimit($Input2, 6) ; limits InputBox2 to 4 chars
$Label3 = GUICtrlCreateLabel("", 8, 105, 150, 25)
#endregion ### END Koda GUI section ###

While 1
    $nMsg = GUIGetMsg()
    Switch $nMsg
        Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
            Exit
        Case $Button1
            If Inputcheck(GUICtrlRead($Input1)) = 0 Then GUICtrlSetData($Input1, "0")
            If Inputcheck(GUICtrlRead($Input2)) = 0 Then GUICtrlSetData($Input2, "0")
            MsgBox(0, "NOTICE", "Start + End =  " & GUICtrlRead($Input1) & " + " & (GUICtrlRead($Input2)) & " = " & _
                    "0x" & StringRegExpReplace(Hex(Number(GUICtrlRead($Input1)) + Number(GUICtrlRead($Input2))), "^0*", ""))
    EndSwitch
WEnd

Func Inputcheck($x) ; Checks if HEX characters starting with "0x", or decimal characters are entered in InputBoxes
    Local $y
    $y = StringIsXDigit(StringRegExpReplace($x, "^0x", ""))
    If (StringLeft($x, 2) == "0x" And StringIsXDigit(StringTrimLeft($x, 2)) <> 1) Or _   ; hexadecimal number
            (StringLeft($x, 2) <> "0x" And StringIsDigit($x) <> 1) Then                  ; Decimal Number
        Return 0
    Else
        Return 1
    EndIf

EndFunc   ;==>Inputcheck

• Moderators

The question I see is how to limit to just hex chars:

#include <GuiEdit.au3>
Global $x

#Region ### START Koda GUI section ### Form=C:\Users\Administrator\Desktop\Form1.kxf
$Input1 = GUICtrlCreateInput("", 48, 40, 97, 21)
GUICtrlSetLimit($Input1,4) ; limits InputBox2 to 4 chars
$Input2 = GUICtrlCreateInput("", 48, 80, 97, 21)
GUICtrlSetLimit($Input2,4) ; limits InputBox2 to 4 chars
$Label3= GUICtrlCreateLabel("", 8, 105, 150, 25)
GUIRegisterMsg($WM_COMMAND, "WM_COMMAND")
#EndRegion ### END Koda GUI section ###

While 1
    $nMsg = GUIGetMsg()
    Switch $nMsg
        Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
            Exit
            MsgBox(0,"NOTICE","You typed: " & GUICtrlRead($Input1) & ":" & GUICtrlRead($Input2))
    EndSwitch
WEnd

Func WM_COMMAND($hWnd, $iMsg, $wParam, $lParam)
    #forceref $hWnd, $iMsg
    Local $hWndFrom, $iIDFrom, $iCode
    Local $hInput1 = GUICtrlGetHandle($Input1)
    Local $hInput2 = GUICtrlGetHandle($Input2)
    Local $sText = ""
    $hWndFrom = $lParam
    $iIDFrom = _WinAPI_LoWord($wParam)
    $iCode = _WinAPI_HiWord($wParam)
    Switch $hWndFrom
        Case $hInput1, $hInput2
            Switch $iCode
                Case $EN_CHANGE
                    $sText = _GUICtrlEdit_GetText($hWndFrom)
                    If Not StringRegExp($sText, "(?i)^[0-9a-f]+\z") Then
                        _GUICtrlEdit_SetText($hWndFrom, StringTrimRight($sText, 1))
                        _GUICtrlEdit_SetSel($hWndFrom, StringLen($sText), StringLen($sText))
                        _GUICtrlEdit_ShowBalloonTip($hWndFrom, "Error", "You can only use characters 0-9 or A-F", $TTI_ERROR)
                    EndIf
            EndSwitch
    EndSwitch
    Return $GUI_RUNDEFMSG
EndFunc   ;==>WM_COMMAND

Am I missing something else?

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.