Windows Service Tool

chaos945

While looking for an easy way to deploy predefined Service settings on Windows XP, I stumbled across a few interesting things in the registry.

Firstly all service information is stored in: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services

Most of us already know that by using Services.msc a service can be set to Automatic, Manual, or Disabled.

But there are other service start values that I discovered such as Boot and System.

After looking at my own services for a while I found this URL, which will give you an idea of what you would see if you looked into your own registry. Notice specifically the START type: Boot, System, and Automatic. I thought it was interesting how these services were not listed in Services.msc nor very well documented.

So, here is the idea. Create a GUI tool that can read the registry for BOOT, SYSTEM, and normal visible services. Allow their "Start" value to be seen, the "DisplayName", the "Description", the "Group", and any other interesting keys. By doing this one could easily see and manage these services without pouring through the registry. I would also like to see a "recommended presets" option to easily allow preset "Start" values for common configurations to remove useless or harmful services. SC.exe could be integrated to uninstall services, see documentation by typing "sc /?" in command prompt.

Example:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\cbidf2k]

"ErrorControl"=dword:00000001

;I'm not sure about this, I didn't look into it, I assume it sets what to do if a service fails, may be interesting to include.

"Group"="SCSI miniport"

;perhaps allow services with the same "Start" parameter to be arranged by "Group" so you can see what is all running in a group.

"Start"=dword:00000004

"Tag"=dword:00000019

;I'm not sure about this, I didn't look into it. Notice the URL uses this TAG information, could be interesting.

"Type"=dword:00000001

;I'm not sure about this, I didn't look into it. Could be ownership of service.

Here is a list of the available "Start" parameters.

Value = Startup Type
0 = boot
1 = system
2 = automatic
3 = manual
4 = disabled

There are more values than these for some services but, just as a start, enumerating this information would be very interesting and useful in developing a more complex program later on.

Edited by chaos945

doesn't need to be done thru registry or msc, can be done from autoit (beta) using objects

code extract form AdminTool

Case $State = "Boot" Or $State = "System" Or $State = "Automatic" Or $State = "Manual" Or $State = "Disabled"

$ret_status = $objItem.ChangeStartMode ($State)

SciTE for AutoItDirections for Submitting Standard UDFs

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.

if you click on a service, you can set the starup type.

boot, auto, system.. etc etc..

this has always been like this

I don't know about your windows but on mine, XP Pro, all I can set in Services.msc is auto/manual/disable. And I can't even see boot or system services.

I'd love to write this program but I don't have the time, just the time to post on fourms. B)

A friend of mine wrote some test code, using beta.

I'm still wanting to see: Description retrieval, a right-click or button to Start/Stop services, display options to show hide boot/system/normal services, a backup current services button, a undo current session (of changes) button (both of these would be nice in a menu), a presets selection to apply Start states to certain common services, and a create new service option.

This is exactly what I was thinking. I hope it inspires some more thought on the matter.

serviceadmin.au3

serviceadmin.rar

Edited by chaos945

I don't know about your windows but on mine, XP Pro, all I can set in Services.msc is auto/manual/disable. And I can't even see boot or system services.

I'd love to write this program but I don't have the time, just the time to post on fourms. B)

A friend of mine wrote some test code, using beta.

I'm still wanting to see: Description retrieval, a right-click or button to Start/Stop services, display options to show hide boot/system/normal services, a backup current services button, a undo current session (of changes) button (both of these would be nice in a menu), a presets selection to apply Start states to certain common services, and a create new service option.

This is exactly what I was thinking. I hope it inspires some more thought on the matter.

hmm my xp box at work is like yours to..

i know i've seen otherwise..

perhaps it's my 2k3 server i'm thinking of? I'll check my xp box when i get home and see whats what

hmm my xp box at work is like yours to..

i know i've seen otherwise..

perhaps it's my 2k3 server i'm thinking of? I'll check my xp box when i get home and see whats what

i wonder if SP2 took those options away?

i know i didnt dream that crap up..