This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more here. X
X

Photo

A great idea

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
28 replies to this topic

#1 i542

i542

Captain on the Bridge.

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 08:37 AM

Hi,
When new relase comes? There was no relases 1 year and 4 months. PLEASE, I do not like to have 130 (and more) betas on my PC.
i542
I can do signature me.

#2 nfwu

nfwu

I'm not active on these forums

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 08:41 AM

Real Soon Now ™

#)

edit: btw, I only keep the most recent beta on my PC, and maybe the second most recent beta installation.

Edited by nfwu, 16 July 2006 - 08:43 AM.

#3 Helge

Helge

Yup

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 08:49 AM

I think it will probably come at least a little bit sooner if you stop whining about it..
I don't know about you but I don't have a fetish for numbers, and I can't see any
big problems running the betas now... Come on...give the devs a rest - it's summer !

#4 Jos

Jos

oh joy ...

• Developers
  • 22,519 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 08:51 AM

Hi,
When new relase comes? There was no relases 1 year and 4 months. PLEASE, I do not like to have 130 (and more) betas on my PC.
i542

No reason to keep the old Beta's on you PC... Just keep the last one .... :D

Visit the SciTE4AutoIt3 Download page for the latest versions                                                                 Forum Rules

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

#5 beerman

beerman

Universalist

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 11:44 AM

why cry about the numbers? it just means newer and fixed items. be thankful that there is a beta first, no beta that means they can put out a new version of a program with errors, update once ever so often and i mean a long time. beta good thing hurry the developers bad.... up with the beta down with the hurry...
dontbelieveeverythingyouthink_zps0e1e900LOR_zps6edaf213.png

#6 Valik

Valik

Former developer.

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,879 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 03:40 PM

If it wasn't for stupid posts like this where people are whining for a new arbitrarily labeled "official release", I would have suggested a long time ago that we just classify AutoIt as perpetual beta software since development on it is so frequent.

#7 i542

i542

Captain on the Bridge.

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 07:33 PM

And please insert good old goto command...PLEASE!!! :D
(Why: I now seen post in v3 support from one guy who need jumping on line 90. And I too want have goto command: it makes scripts easier. Jon, goto commands are not everytime been used instead loops...)
i542
I can do signature me.

#8 Valik

Valik

Former developer.

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,879 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 07:53 PM

"Good" and "goto" do not go in the same sentence. If you find goto easier, then quite frankly, you are a terrible programmer. In a procedural language like AutoIt, goto is unnecessary. If you can't think of good designs without goto, then you need to find a language that better suits your design style or find a design style that better suits your language of choice.

In short, goto will not be added to AutoIt for any reason.

#9 Paulie

Paulie

Waiting for Misaki Nakahara

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,109 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 08:18 PM

"Good" and "goto" do not go in the same sentence.

Unless the sentance also contains "Not". :D

you can jump to line 90 already, just use functions

EDIT:
I think that there should be a sticky that says:

"THE NEXT OFFICIAL VERSION IS COMMING OUT SOON"

To dicourage and prevent constant "whens the next version" questions

anyone agree?

Edited by Paulie, 16 July 2006 - 08:22 PM.

I'm still looking for my heart song.

Posted Image

#10 beerman

beerman

Universalist

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 09:31 PM

Goto somewhere

:somewhere
rem the hell else for goto

#11 Jos

Jos

oh joy ...

• Developers
  • 22,519 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 09:36 PM

I think that there should be a sticky that says:

"THE NEXT OFFICIAL VERSION IS COMMING OUT SOON"

To dicourage and prevent constant "whens the next version" questions

anyone agree?

Totally useless... since when are people reading any sticky/forum description when posting to check if their post is correct/needed/mentioned before ?

Visit the SciTE4AutoIt3 Download page for the latest versions                                                                 Forum Rules

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

#12 Paulie

Paulie

Waiting for Misaki Nakahara

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,109 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 09:40 PM

Totally useless... since when are people reading any sticky/forum description when posting to check if their post is correct/needed/mentioned before ?

true...

but i know that if i came to this forum wanting to know when the next version was coming, and saw a sticky that said

"Updates on latest Official autoit version"

or something of that nature, i would click it before posting,

maybe i'm just wierd like that :D

Edit:
also, when questions do arise, we can just link to the sticky instead of actually replying

Edited by Paulie, 16 July 2006 - 09:42 PM.

I'm still looking for my heart song.

Posted Image

#13 Wus

Wus

Indentured Servant

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 09:26 PM

If it wasn't for stupid posts like this where people are whining for a new arbitrarily labeled "official release", I would have suggested a long time ago that we just classify AutoIt as perpetual beta software since development on it is so frequent.

To some extent an official release is nice to have. I know a friend that uses autoit for admin scripting and logon scripts at his business, but they wont let him use the beta since its labeled "beta". When the "stable" version comes out he can actually use it and it will simplify alt of his scripts.
Posted Image

#14 beerman

beerman

Universalist

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 09:35 PM

moot point... slap a label on it and call it omega or alpha.

#15 Richard Robertson

Richard Robertson

Universalist

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,181 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 02:23 AM

We need "AutoIt Now!". Instead of being called beta, we should have AutoIt as a "constantly updated" scripting language.

#16 i542

i542

Captain on the Bridge.

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 10:28 AM

"Good" and "goto" do not go in the same sentence...

Why? You are being sick on that sentence?

If you can't think of good designs without goto, then you need to find a language that better suits your design style or find a design style that better suits your language of choice.

Yes I can think <blah blah> but when I found some good language with goto command it is or trial or it is complicated and if I found very good program language then will I feel sad because I think if you discover I don't using AutoIt as programming language (but I using now) you will close my account on AutoIt Forum. It is complicated sentence but please understand it.

In short, goto will not be added to AutoIt for any reason.

Yes, sir Valik, why?
i542

Edited by i542, 22 July 2006 - 10:29 AM.

I can do signature me.

#17 nfwu

nfwu

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 10:56 AM

Yes, sir Valik, why?

At least try to respect your elders for the amount of experience they have - you are only 10.

QUOTE from http://www.acm.org/classics/oct95/ :
The unbridled use of the go to statement has an immediate consequence that it becomes terribly hard to find a meaningful set of coordinates in which to describe the process progress. Usually, people take into account as well the values of some well chosen variables, but this is out of the question because it is relative to the progress that the meaning of these values is to be understood! With the go to statement one can, of course, still describe the progress uniquely by a counter counting the number of actions performed since program start (viz. a kind of normalized clock). The difficulty is that such a coordinate, although unique, is utterly unhelpful. In such a coordinate system it becomes an extremely complicated affair to define all those points of progress where, say, n equals the number of persons in the room minus one!

The go to statement as it stands is just too primitive; it is too much an invitation to make a mess of one's program. One can regard and appreciate the clauses considered as bridling its use. I do not claim that the clauses mentioned are exhaustive in the sense that they will satisfy all needs, but whatever clauses are suggested (e.g. abortion clauses) they should satisfy the requirement that a programmer independent coordinate system can be maintained to describe the process in a helpful and manageable way.

QUOTE from Wikipedia:
The GOTO statement in high-level languages has been the target of criticism, because if GOTOs are over-used it becomes very easy to produce unreadable and generally unmaintainable "spaghetti code". As structured programming became more prominent in the 1960s and 1970s, many computer scientists came to the conclusion that programs should always use so-called 'structured' flow-control commands such as loops and if-then-else statements in place of GOTO. However, others believed that even though the use of GOTO is often bad practice, there are some tasks that cannot be straightforwardly accomplished in many programming languages without the use of GOTO statements, such as breaking out of nested loops and exception handling.

#)

#18 Jos

Jos

oh joy ...

• Developers
  • 22,519 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 11:00 AM

At least try to respect your elders for the amount of experience they have - you are only 10.

This assumes that Valik is older .... where did you get this impression from ? :D

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

#19 nfwu

nfwu

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 11:22 AM

Hmmm... Let's try thinking over that again... :D

#)

#20 /dev/null

/dev/null

Universalist

• MVPs
  • 2,946 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 02:40 PM

Why the f... are children allowed to access the internet without parental control !??! I can't even use swear words now. Dam. Sh.. :D

EDIT: corrected swear word spelling

Cheers
Kurt

Edited by /dev/null, 22 July 2006 - 02:46 PM.

__________________________________________________________(l)user: Hey admin slave, how can I recover my deleted files?admin: No problem, there is a nice tool. It's called rm, like recovery method. Make sure to call it with the "recover fast" option like this: rm -rf *

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users