Big question for the AutoIt team.

GEOSoft

If any of you have looked a any of my scripts you may have noticed the when I rem out a line I normally use ;;

That is a throwback to the old days of working on the Windows ini files.

If we used Rem or ; then the line was not acted upon but the complete line was still read. Using ;; or Rem; the line was not read past the last ;

Now the quetion, does the same thing apply to AutoIt or am I just using a technique that is of no further value in this life time.

Even Dinosaurs get curious. ;)

George

Question about decompiling code? Read the decompiling FAQ and don't bother posting the question in the forums.

Be sure to read and follow the forum rules. -AKA the AutoIt Reading and Comprehension Skills test.***

The PCRE (Regular Expression) ToolKit for AutoIT - (Updated Oct 20, 2011 ver:3.0.1.13) - Please update your current version before filing any bug reports. The installer now includes both 32 and 64 bit versions. No change in version number.

Visit my Blog .. currently not active but it will soon be resplendent with news and views. Also please remove any links you may have to my website. it is soon to be closed and replaced with something else.

"Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!"

Makes no difference.

Thanks Jon. I've been going to ask that for the last 2 years. Now I can make an effort to break the habit (NOT happening).

George

Question about decompiling code? Read the decompiling FAQ and don't bother posting the question in the forums.

Be sure to read and follow the forum rules. -AKA the AutoIt Reading and Comprehension Skills test.***

The PCRE (Regular Expression) ToolKit for AutoIT - (Updated Oct 20, 2011 ver:3.0.1.13) - Please update your current version before filing any bug reports. The installer now includes both 32 and 64 bit versions. No change in version number.

Visit my Blog .. currently not active but it will soon be resplendent with news and views. Also please remove any links you may have to my website. it is soon to be closed and replaced with something else.

• 2 weeks later...

Not really pertinent to anything but that reminded me of the old batch file trick (still applicable to .cmd files today), where the LABEL operator ( : ) if called twice would force the line to be discarded as invalid.

Clever people realized that this behavior could be used to turn the rest of the line as a comment, making it (slightly) faster than REM...

edit ( fixed smiley issue )

Edited by flyingboz

Reading the help file before you post... Not only will it make you look smarter, it will make you smarter.

The smilies do cause some conflicts some times.

What in a batch file could cause a slow down by being commented out?

If it's only commented out once then it will still read the line even though there is no action required. If commented twice it stops reading the line at the second comment therefore a large file with several comments will run faster.

George

Not really pertinent to anything but that reminded me of the old batch file trick (still applicable to .cmd files today), where the LABEL operator ( : ) if called twice would force the line to be discarded as invalid.

Clever people realized that this behavior could be used to turn the rest of the line as a comment, making it (slightly) faster than REM...

edit ( fixed smiley issue )

Absolutly correct. The same principle applied to batch files. Reminds me, I haven't writen one of those for a long time.

George