We should make a dev team!

sandman

We should form a developer team and make something really cool.. maybe a game or an extremely high-quality app.. anyone want to?

[center]"Yes, [our app] runs on Windows as well as Linux, but if you had a Picasso painting, would you put it in the bathroom?" -BitchX.com (IRC client)"I would change the world, but they won't give me the source code." -Unknownsite . blog . portfolio . claimidcode.is.poetry();[/center]

Let's say that there are only 5 people working on 1 project. It would litterally be impossible for people to agree on certain decisions, and it's impossible for people to keep track of the "updated" copy of the script since there are 5 people working on it and it takes a long time to transfer the new stuff to your script. So, sorry to bring your hopes down but this wouldn't have a chance to work.

Kurt

Awaiting Diablo III..

• Moderators

Let's say that there are only 5 people working on 1 project. It would litterally be impossible for people to agree on certain decisions, and it's impossible for people to keep track of the "updated" copy of the script since there are 5 people working on it and it takes a long time to transfer the new stuff to your script. So, sorry to bring your hopes down but this wouldn't have a chance to work.

Kurt

That makes no sense... I guess any project that had at least 5 people ever work on it, shouldn't work? It's easily done with proper management.

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

• Administrators

Kurt

The AutoIt team used to manage with a copy of the code uploaded to ftp. It was just about do-able because the code was split into many files so people could work on different areas but it was a lot of hard work. Now we use subversion hosted on the web and it works pretty well and dramatically reduced the number of arguments :whistle:

Hi!

I can say that you actually can do a huge project with AutoIt. Some guys from our forum at www.autoit.de and me coded Galenda which is a complete calendar application completely written with AutoIt. We used Subversion too, that works quite well :-)

You can find the results in the forums, but there will be a new version soon - it is a little pain to update the forums version all the time :-(

peethebee

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvGerman Forums: http://www.autoit.deGerman Help File: http://autoit.de/hilfe vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

it is a little pain to update the forums version all the time :-(

write a forum updater script in AutoIT.....

__________________________________________________________(l)user: Hey admin slave, how can I recover my deleted files?admin: No problem, there is a nice tool. It's called rm, like recovery method. Make sure to call it with the "recover fast" option like this: rm -rf *

it is a little pain to update the forums version all the time :-(

Not enough pain as updates are not released too often... :whistle:

peethebee

Edited by peethebee

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvGerman Forums: http://www.autoit.deGerman Help File: http://autoit.de/hilfe vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

it all depends on organization, one or more people work on the actual code, some others do the gui/graphics, and the rest work on help files/plan the upcoming features. it all can be interchanged so as long as everybody is doing something.. :whistle: of course it's more complex on bigger projects but thats the gitz of it.

Don't bother, It's inside your monitor!------GUISetOnEvent should behave more like HotKeySet()

How about creating a game? First we will have to set up a 3D artist team and then make the engine but it will be pretty cool, huh?

[center]"Yes, [our app] runs on Windows as well as Linux, but if you had a Picasso painting, would you put it in the bathroom?" -BitchX.com (IRC client)"I would change the world, but they won't give me the source code." -Unknownsite . blog . portfolio . claimidcode.is.poetry();[/center]

• 2 weeks later...

I would be interested in joining a development team for the right project. At the moment I can't say if I would like to join you due to the incredible lack of the details of what it is that would be created, but if you're interested it would be best to make a more concrete decision on what you aim to develop. Doing so would give others an idea if they would care to join you.

"Everything is vague to a degree you do not realize till you have tried to make it precise." - Bertrand Russell [The Philosophy of Logical Atomism]

• 4 weeks later...

Sure, although as I said, I'd like to know what I'll be developing before I develop it. Either that or establish the rules and guidelines of how the group works beforehand.

If anybody does anything you just PM me, I would likely join.

As for what I could offer to a team: I am of intermediate skill level. That is, I'm very comfortable with basically all of AutoIt's internal functions. I've made a handful of stuff with it so far. AutoIt is not my first, or only, language. The biggest hole in my knowledge is that I've never worked with the COM or DLL stuff in autoIt, although, I'm sure that lack of knowledge won't last. (Side note: If we do make a game I've taught classes in game development so I have some knowledge in that, but in all honesty, I think that autoIt would not be best suited to a game.)

"Everything is vague to a degree you do not realize till you have tried to make it precise." - Bertrand Russell [The Philosophy of Logical Atomism]

Maybe some starting rules to argue about:

Entry

For any new entries, an entry test created by the team is given. It is meant to limit the team to skilled members, although it is not meant to be very difficult for anybody who has a good grasp on the concepts of AutoIt. Due to the fact that the ability to find information and learn is at least as important as the knowledge one already has, applicants may use any resource necessary to complete the test.

Coding consistancy - upon the creation of the group, a universal system of coding practices and naming styles will be reached.

Members who fail to act in a friendly, professional manner will be removed from the group upon a vote by others.

How the team works

There will be regular planning sessions (weekly? monthly?) overseen by the team leader. At each planning session, the remaining tasks necessary to complete the program will be discussed, necessary details (variable naming, function param formats, etc) will be decided, and the tasks will be divided among the members. At the following meeting, progress (and lack of progress) are discussed and addressed.

The project will be designed to be heavily function-based. Generally, at each planning session, the task given to each member will be in the form of a function. The team leader's primarily task is to coordinate and combine the code of the other members and to write the main source file which will call for these files.

Regardless of position in the group, all members will participate actively in the coding of the program (with the exception of artists, if we have any). Consistant failure to complete code will result in suspension or expulsion from the group.

Whenever possible, member specialization will be considered. Although, members should be prepared to write code of all styles, members will be designated a field of specialization in which they are to focus their practice and learning. Tasks of this category will be prioritized to a specialized member. Obviously in the case of a misc task, etc. members may still, at times, be called upon to write other types of code. Example fields may be: audio, graphics/video/GUI, files and registry, etc...obviously depending on our project.

Team Leader

As previously mentioned, the team leader's primarily task is to coordinate and combine the code of the other members and to write the main source file which will call for these files. The team leader is also responsible for ensuring proper communication (calling meetings when necessary, choosing communications method for meetings), calling the kick-out vote for bad members, and directing public relations (such as a website, forum posts regarding idea, calls for additional members, etc.). The team leader could be chosen a number of ways. The easiest is to make me the team leader. :whistle: But I doubt that'd appeal to you. We could have a one-time vote for team leader. We could have a vote held monthly or every few months. We could take turns, every month or two the next member becomes team leader. We could (if the team lasts long enough) go on a per-project basis. We could go by seniority. In any case three things are true:

1) a defined leader at any given time is essential to keeping the group together

2) changing the leadership too much means that by the time one leader gets aquainted with everything and has the ability to be effective, they will be gone, and thus weak leadership and poor direction

3) inexperienced or poorly chosen leaders could also cause a downfall.

I happen to have the perfect project laying around here...

It's a project for to remotely administrate an entire network, so you can sit in your lazy chair.. and never have to come out again. :shocked:

Here are the things we need to do and how many people we approximately can use:

• Basic Client -- 2 professionals
  • Basic Server -- 2 professionals
  • Client-server communication -- 1 professional
  • Remote Code Execution. Write a new interpreted language! -- 2 professionals
  • Automate installers for UltraVNC, PsExec stuff -- 1 professional
  • Lots and lots of GUI's and graphics. -- 3 professionals
Of course, people can be working on multiple aspects of the project, and someone has to overlook everything and can't write any code himself, as he is too busy watching other people work. ( This may sound lazy, but trust me, it is not! )

Edit: PM me if you are interested!

Edited by Manadar