This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more here. X
X

Photo

multiple tray icons

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 SleepyXtreme

SleepyXtreme

Prodigy

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 04:20 AM

I've been searching all over and i cannot seem to figure out how to add new tray icons with autoit. i know right now autoit can only handle one tray icon but i was wondering if it would be possible to add in more than 1. There is a way to do it using a dll but i do not have the dll or know where/how to actually do it.

my request is that someone figure out a way to add more tray icons for a single autoit program or add a function in autoit that can do it.

thanks
Programs:AAST (Andrew's Anti Snooping Tool) - Elite protection from prying eyes with tons of functionality_TooBigForForums - Downloads your program and opens it (For when you have exceeded your upload limit but still want to know how many downloads you have).

#2 RDSchaefer

RDSchaefer

Wayfarer

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 04:44 AM

I've been searching all over and i cannot seem to figure out how to add new tray icons with autoit. i know right now autoit can only handle one tray icon but i was wondering if it would be possible to add in more than 1. There is a way to do it using a dll but i do not have the dll or know where/how to actually do it.

my request is that someone figure out a way to add more tray icons for a single autoit program or add a function in autoit that can do it.

thanks

What do you mean? Please be more specific.

Ralph

#3 MHz

MHz

Just simple

• MVPs
  • 5,727 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 05:51 AM

You can use AutoIt3Wrapper/_Gui with your favorite editor or you can use the full Scite4AutoIt3 editor to use AutoIt3Wrapper/_Gui which is built in and configured. Download page is here.

#4 MisterBates

MisterBates

Adventurer

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 01:18 PM

thanks

This post describes how I solved the same issue (with assistance from others). WindowWatcher (in my sig) has a complete working example including .RES, .ICO and .BAT support files.

#5 SleepyXtreme

SleepyXtreme

Prodigy

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 11:24 PM

you guys aren't understanding....

I want to have multiple tray icons at ONE TIME.
Programs:AAST (Andrew's Anti Snooping Tool) - Elite protection from prying eyes with tons of functionality_TooBigForForums - Downloads your program and opens it (For when you have exceeded your upload limit but still want to know how many downloads you have).

#6 Richard Robertson

Richard Robertson

Universalist

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,328 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 04:09 AM

There's no point in more than one icon per program. That is a waste of resources, both icon handles and visual tray space. Use menus to set up better control.

#7 SleepyXtreme

SleepyXtreme

Prodigy

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 05:52 AM

Richard, there is a point if you knew what i was trying to do, but you don't. There's unlimited reasons why you would want more than 1 icon per program. and if you have such a piece of shit computer that additional tray icons lags you, get a job, and buy another one.

#8 MisterBates

MisterBates

Adventurer

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 06:46 AM

Richard, there is a point if you knew what i was trying to do, but you don't. There's unlimited reasons why you would want more than 1 icon per program. and if you have such a piece of shit computer that additional tray icons lags you, get a job, and buy another one.

Why flame? Tell us what you're trying to do - there may be other ways to do it.

#9 Jos

Jos

Je maintiendrai

• Developers
  • 23,352 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 07:48 AM

Instead of getting smart you could try explaining why this would be useful for everybody.
Since you posted in the feature request Forum you better have a damn good reason or else you are wasting our time ....

Edited by JdeB, 14 July 2007 - 09:44 AM.

Visit the SciTE4AutoIt3 Download page for the latest versions                                                                 Forum Rules

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

#10 kjactive

kjactive

Universalist

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 10:50 AM

Hallo X

There's no point in more than one icon per program

Well Icons can be used as control images - say in a toolbar or like the native autoit3 system where it changes tray icons if paused...

Both Autoitwrapper and the Project Manager can include icons to a execute resource - Project Manager has the ability to auto include all icons dropped into a local directory called \Icons in the order Icon_1 Icon_2 ec...

There is a way to do it using a dll but i do not have the dll or know where/how to actually do it.

Don't you mean a .icl ( icon library ) - there is a lot of freeware icon editers around to create such files - I use 'AIcon', real nice tool and Aut2exe can include all files with fileinstall too....

kjactive :whistle:

Edited by kjactive, 14 July 2007 - 11:10 AM.

#11 Richard Robertson

Richard Robertson

Universalist

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,328 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 04:26 PM

I don't understand why you chose to attack me. My computer works more than fine enough to have 1000 tray icons. I was simply stating what I know about normal users. You haven't provided any sort of reason how it could be useful, and I can't think of a single one.

Also, before you go attacking any of the other usuals around here, please recognize that I have a longer fuse than most. By acting courteously, you will receive better replies in the future.

Edited by Richard Robertson, 14 July 2007 - 04:30 PM.

#12 SleepyXtreme

SleepyXtreme

Prodigy

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 06:16 AM

i only became assertive because your statement seemed as if it was meant to completely disregard my suggestion.

I need multiple tray icons because i'm trying to make a program that will take all of the open windows and hide them and place icons associated with each hidden window in the tray. then when you click one of the tray icons, it will unhide the window and that icon will be removed.

#13 Richard Robertson

Richard Robertson

Universalist

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,328 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 08:00 AM

I'm sorry if what I said came off that way, but it was not intended to be so.

Now that you have provided a reason, and appear to be friendly, a solution is at hand. The dll you need is included with Windows. Tray icons are handled natively, and require a window to send messages to for events. I don't understand the callback system that has been developed, but I understand you will need it to receive those messages. I suggest a little research of the API, and a custom written dll to include with your script. That will allow you to create the window to handle events, without using any weird workaround in AutoIt.

#14 MisterBates

MisterBates

Adventurer

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 10:11 AM

I need multiple tray icons because i'm trying to make a program that will take all of the open windows and hide them and place icons associated with each hidden window in the tray. then when you click one of the tray icons, it will unhide the window and that icon will be removed.

Alternatively, using a compiled script, run the script with the process/taskbar icon to replace as a command-line parameter and in the script, have logic that hides that icon and switches the script icon to be the icon of the replaced process. That way, there's no fiddly DLL stuff, and your single script (running multiple times) is in control of each icon ...

#15 SleepyXtreme

SleepyXtreme

Prodigy

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 06:53 PM

MisterBates, you do bring up a good point, i can run multiple programs that will just read from a ini but i think it would be neater to make multiple icons from 1 .exe.

Richard Robinson, i found a few webpages on how to do it but i got lost in it all and i'm very confused. maybe you can fingure it out?
http://www.codeguru.com/Cpp/COM-Tech/shell...ticle.php/c1335
http://www.programmers-corner.com/tutorial/4
http://www.codeproject.com/shell/trayicons.asp

#16 Richard Robertson

Richard Robertson

Universalist

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,328 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 08:29 PM

Please, Robertson. Not Robinson.

If you don't mind waiting a little while, I can write a dll that will do what you want. Just let me know.

#17 MisterBates

MisterBates

Adventurer

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 09:00 PM

MisterBates, you do bring up a good point, i can run multiple programs that will just read from a ini but i think it would be neater to make multiple icons from 1 .exe.

Then make 1 .exe that when run "normally" scans the icons in the taskbar and executes itself with acommand line parameter, then when run with that paramter does the icon hide/pretend to be the icon. One exe - what could be neater?

#18 SleepyXtreme

SleepyXtreme

Prodigy

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 09:30 PM

MisterBates, see what you think. I've implemented it into my recent version of my program. it's under options, http://www.andrewshangout.com/aast/AASTInstall.exe

#19 Guest_Guest_Holger_*_*

Guest_Guest_Holger_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2007 - 10:03 PM

No need to discuss this anymore.
Multiple icons for the tray are possible within 1 Autoit-application.
It's a workaround to use with GUI-functions (with GUIRegisterMsg).
I have the most stuff completed here (since a few month (started in april).
It was never finished (to also do all of the unicode jobs).
I think I will publish it the next days for learning/studying so someone can write a better UDF for it.
At the moment it's like my "ModernMenuLib".
So just wait one more day...
Holger

#20 SleepyXtreme

SleepyXtreme

Prodigy

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 04:47 AM

ok so i'm confused. How can i add multiple tray icons with 1 .exe? Can you give me step by step instructions, maybe an example script?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users