This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more here. X
X

Photo

New option for StringInStr?

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 Koshy John

Koshy John

koshyjohn.com

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 09:52 AM

A StringInStr comparison now checks the for the substring in the string to be evaluated with different values of the starting character (0 to StringLen(String) - StringLen(substring); .. to put it in pseudocode).

This is inefficient if the user only wants to check with the starting characterposition as 0 (AutoIt will internally perform StringLen(String) - StringLen(substring) - 1 more comparisons than required).

There are many ways of accomplishing what I've stated in AutoIt:
1. If StringLeft ("string", StringLen("substring") = "substring" Then Return 1
2. If StringRegExp("string", '^(?i)' &"substring" &'.*$') Then Return 1
and others...

But surprisingly they are much slower than StringInStr even with all its 'excess' comparisons (since AutoIt is an interpreted language). The only way this could be made faster was if StringInStr was given another option/parameter which would allow the user to specify a range of starting characters to check against (if not only the first one). This change can only be done internally in the AutoIt C++ source. The inclusion of these parameters can be made optional at the end of the current syntax so as not to affect existing scripts.

The performance benefits of this would be tremendous. And the way I see it, this inclusion will not increase the size of the distributable since only 2 additional variables are incorporated and maybe an additional line of C++ code or two (for condition checking).

StringInStr ( "string", "substring" [, casesense [, occurrence]] )

Parameters

string The string to evaluate.
substring The substring to search for.
casesense [optional] Flag to indicate if the operations should be case sensitive.
0 = not case sensitive, using the user's locale (default)
1 = case sensitive
2 = not case sensitive, using a basic/faster comparison
occurrence [optional] Which occurrence of the substring to find in the string. Use a negative occurrence to search from the right side. The default value is 1 (finds first occurrence).

This is the existing code. What I'm proposing is:

StringInStr ( "string", "substring" [, casesense [, occurrence[, start [,limit]]]] )

Parameters

string The string to evaluate.
substring The substring to search for.
casesense [optional] Flag to indicate if the operations should be case sensitive.
0 = not case sensitive, using the user's locale (default)
1 = case sensitive
2 = not case sensitive, using a basic/faster comparison
occurrence [optional] Which occurrence of the substring to find in the string. Use a negative occurrence to search from the right side. The default value is 1 (finds first occurrence).
start [optional] Which character in the main string to check from
1 (default)
limit [optional] How many comparisons to perform from the starting character
0 (default) = as many as possible

If what I'm trying to convey is not clear enough, please do let me know...
Visit: www.KoshyJohn.comMajor projects: neoSearch - DiskMax

#2 WolfWorld

WolfWorld

Mr.Terminator

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 10:19 AM

NIce

and what you said was right

StringInStr IS FASTER THAN StringRegExp

#3 randallc

randallc

Universalist

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,902 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 01:08 PM

So lets have some test scripts and see if the regexp experts can show why you could still be wrong!?
And I don't mean me; I'll puzzle away, but some guys are good at this..
Randall

Edited by randallc, 29 August 2007 - 01:48 PM.

#4 MrCreatoR

MrCreatoR

Must AutoIt!

• MVPs
  • 3,250 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 01:34 PM

limit [optional] How many comparisons to perform from the starting character
0 (default) = as many as possible

Can you explain please a litle about this param? what we need it for? please show example of using such new params.
Using OS: Win 7 Professional, Using AutoIt Ver(s): 3.3.6.1 / 3.3.8.1

Posted Image AutoIt Russian CommunityPosted Image Projects: ATT - Application Translate Tool [new] | BlockIt - Block files & folders [new] | SIP - Selected Image Preview [new] | SISCABMAN - SciTE Abbreviations Manager [new] | AutoIt Path Switcher | AutoIt Menu for Opera! | YouTube Download Center! | Desktop Icons Restorator | Math Tasks | KeyBoard & Mouse Cleaner | CaptureIt - Capture Images Utility | CheckFileSize ProgramPosted Image UDFs: OnAutoItErrorRegister - Handle AutoIt critical errors [new] | AutoIt Syntax Highlight [new] | Opera Library! | Winamp Library | GetFolderToMenu | Custom_InputBox()! | _FileRun UDF | _CheckInput() UDF | _GUIInputSetOnlyNumbers() UDF | _FileGetValidName() UDF | _GUICtrlCreateRadioCBox UDF | _GuiCreateGrid() | _PathSplitByRegExp() | _GUICtrlListView_MoveItems - UDF | GUICtrlSetOnHover_UDF! | _ControlTab UDF! | _MouseSetOnEvent() UDF! | _ProcessListEx - UDF | GUICtrl_SetResizing - UDF! | Mod. for _IniString UDFs | _StringStripChars UDF | _ColorIsDarkShade UDF | _ColorConvertValue UDF | _GUICtrlTab_CoverBackground | CUI_App_UDF | _IncludeScripts UDF | _AutoIt3ExecuteCode | _DragList UDF | Mod. for _ListView_Progress | _ListView_SysLink | _GenerateRandomNumbers | _BlockInputEx | _IsPressedEx | OnAutoItExit Handler | _GUICtrlCreateTFLabel UDF | WinControlSetEvent UDF | Mod. for _DirGetSizeEx UDFPosted Image Examples: ScreenSaver Demo - Matrix included | Gui Drag Without pause the script | _WinAttach()! | Turn Off/On Monitor | ComboBox Handler Example | Mod. for "Thinking Box" | Cool "About" Box | TasksBar Imitation DemoLike the examples/UDFs? Please rate the topic (up-right corner of the post header: Rating Posted Image)* === My topics === *

==========================================================Posted Image==========================================================

AutoIt is simple, subtle, elegant. © AutoIt Team

#5 ValeryVal

ValeryVal

Dig the way

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 03:04 PM

There is a limit to func's params and dicussion about String's function. The last is continuing from 2003 years.

Welcome to 2003
The point of world view

#6 Koshy John

Koshy John

koshyjohn.com

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 05:12 PM

Can you explain please a litle about this param? what we need it for? please show example of using such new params.

Here goes:

StringInStr ( "string", "substring" [, casesense [, occurrence[, start [,limit]]]] )

By default, the current implementation of StringInStr has the following values for start and limit (as per AutoIt; subtract 1 from both for corresponding C++ values):
start = 1
limit = length of "string" - length of "substring" + 1

There will be 'limit' number of comparisons in this case.
EG: "check" against "ec" would go:
start = 1
limit = 5 - 2 + 1 = 4
for(i=start-1; i<limit; i++) //i takes all values of the starting character
- ch vs. ec
- he vs. ec
- ec vs. ec (+ve match)
- ck vs. ck

Lets look at non-default values of 'start' first. 'start' can take values between 1 and the 'limit'. AutoIt must default invalid values to the default 1.
That is, 1<= start <= limit; let start = 2.
- he vs. ec
- ec vs. ec (+ve match)
- ck vs. ck
There was a saving of one comparison.

Now lets look at non-default values of 'limit' next. 'limit' can take values between (and including) 'start' and the 'hard limit' of length of "string" - length of "substring" + 1. AutoIt must default invalid values to the default 'hard limit'.
Let start = 2 and limit = 3:
- he vs. ec
- ec vs. ec (+ve match)
There was a saving of two comparisons.

Personally I have scripts that do close to 5000 StringInStr with sometimes single character substrings on words of average length of 6 (where according to my requirement, start=0,limit=0). By a rough calculation, using the new syntax I can save 5 comparisons on each word. On a total of 5000 words, I can save 25000 comparisons. The script will be doing 5000 comparisons instead of 30,000. These are significant numbers.

Like I've said these can be accomplished by StringRegExp too. But instead of improving performance, I've recorded an undisputable reduction in performance; irrespective of whether I've compiled the script in ANSI or Unicode (ANSI is faster, but only just).

There are likely to be slight inconsistencies in the calculations I've provided when compared to the first post. The calculations in this post are the accurate ones. The first post was only an quick and dirty feature request.

#7 Koshy John

Koshy John

koshyjohn.com

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 05:16 PM

There is a limit to func's params and dicussion about String's function. The last is continuing from 2003 years.

Welcome to 2003

Wow.. I've never seen the old community before... I looked the page up and down once or twice but didn't see anything relating to this particular request... If you could quote the relevant text from that page here, I'd be grateful...

#8 randallc

randallc

Universalist

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,902 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 09:27 PM

Hi,

But instead of improving performance, I've recorded an undisputable reduction in performance

lets have some test scripts

Could you post your test script please for me to compare [?different ways] the same thing you are comparing?
thanks, Randall

#9 Koshy John

Koshy John

koshyjohn.com

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 06:33 AM

Hi,
Could you post your test script please for me to compare [?different ways] the same thing you are comparing?
thanks, Randall

You'll need to keep the following file (simple text) in the same directory as the code: http://koshyjohnuk.googlepages.com/try.txt

Run the following code:

AutoIt         
;script by Koshy John ;Purpose: To compare the speed difference between StringInStr and StringRegExp manually ;To run: needs try.txt in the same folder ;Please note that the StringRegExp function query doesn't return the expected number of results. ;Kindly modify it to match the second #NoTrayIcon Local $query = "mp" ;query must start with m as most of the words in the Local $word Local $timetaken = TimerInit () Local $dfiles = 0 ; EXAMPLE ONE ;STRING IN STRING (ORIGINAL METHOD) - Fastest (even with multiple comparisons) - usually produces the most results $dfiles = 0 $qfile = FileOpen ("try.txt",0) If $qfile = -1 Then Exit $timetaken = TimerInit () While 1     $word = FileReadLine ($qfile)     If @error Then ExitLoop         If StringInStr ($word, $query, 2) Then $dfiles = $dfiles + 1 WEnd $timetaken = Round(TimerDiff($timetaken) / 1000,4) FileClose($qfile) MsgBox (0,"StringInStr",$timetaken &" secs, found: "& $dfiles) ; EXAMPLE TWO ;STRING IN STRING (STARTING CHARACTER SINGLE CHECK METHOD; bending over backwards) ;this has varied results, in this example, its marginally faster but I've also seen cases where its marginally slower... ;but more or less its the same speed. There's no major earth shattering performance differences that you would expect. ; THE AIM IS TO REPLICATE THE BEHAVIOR OF THE FOLLOWING CODE USING STRINGREGEXP **************************************************** $dfiles = 0 Local $querylength = StringLen ($query) $qfile = FileOpen ("try.txt",0) If $qfile = -1 Then Exit $timetaken = TimerInit () While 1     $word = FileReadLine ($qfile)     If @error Then ExitLoop         If StringLeft ($word, $querylength) = $query Then $dfiles = $dfiles + 1 WEnd $timetaken = Round(TimerDiff($timetaken) / 1000,4) FileClose($qfile) MsgBox (0,"StringInStr (single compare)",$timetaken &" secs, found: "& $dfiles) ; EXAMPLE THREE ;STRINGREGEXP -RANDALLC's code (try bettering it to match the results of EXAMPLE TWO in lesser time $qfile = FileOpen ("m.txt",0) If $qfile = -1 Then Exit $timetaken = TimerInit () $dfiles = 0 While 1     $word = FileReadLine ($qfile)     If @error Then ExitLoop         ;If StringRegExp($word, "(?s)(?i)(?m:^|[\s|,|\.|\?\:])" & $query) Then $dfiles = $dfiles + 1 ;SMOKE_N's method - I've no idea what this does     If StringRegExp($word, '^(?i)'&$query&'.*$') Then $dfiles = $dfiles + 1 WEnd FileClose($qfile) $timetaken = Round(TimerDiff($timetaken) / 1000,4) MsgBox (0,"StringRegExp",$timetaken &"secs, matches: "& $dfiles) ;TO TEST FOR A BETTER SOLUTION, PLEASE MODIFY ONLY THE STRINGREGEXP LINE.

#10 Koshy John

Koshy John

koshyjohn.com

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 06:39 AM

here are my results for the above code and sample file:

0.255 seconds - 4650
0.2624 seconds - 4650
1.4713 seconds - 3514 (the number of results returned are wrong too)

VERY VERY IMPORTANT: Please wait a few seconds and switch between a couple of windows before clicking on the OK of the MsgBox showing the results of each stage. This is to clear out the CPU's L2 cache (noticable difference running on my Core 2 Duo 2 GHz with 4 MB L2 cache).

#11 SmOke_N

SmOke_N

It's not what you know ... It's what you can prove!

• Moderators
  • 15,730 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 08:46 AM

I don't know if Jon is using his own InStr method, or the standard, if it's his own, I'd imagine it wouldn't be too difficult to impliment, might even be a nice feature...

I've noticed the regexp has really been lagging lately myself... almost to a hault.

Anyway...

$timetaken = TimerInit () $qfile = FileRead("try.txt") StringReplace($qfile, $query, "") $dfiles = @extended $timetaken = Round(TimerDiff($timetaken) / 1000,4) MsgBox (0,"StringReplace",$timetaken &"secs, matches: "& $dfiles)
Do I win?

Edited by SmOke_N, 01 September 2007 - 08:47 AM.

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

#12 Koshy John

Koshy John

koshyjohn.com

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 09:49 AM

I don't know if Jon is using his own InStr method, or the standard, if it's his own, I'd imagine it wouldn't be too difficult to impliment, might even be a nice feature...

I've noticed the regexp has really been lagging lately myself... almost to a hault.

Anyway...

$timetaken = TimerInit () $qfile = FileRead("try.txt") StringReplace($qfile, $query, "") $dfiles = @extended $timetaken = Round(TimerDiff($timetaken) / 1000,4) MsgBox (0,"StringReplace",$timetaken &"secs, matches: "& $dfiles)
Do I win?

Lol.. yeah.. you do win (by a very considerable margin)... but then that implementation is only useful in counting the number of matches... (this was just a demonstration script, its not feasible in my application; and I'm not a huge fan of increasing the peak working memory of my scripts by loading huge files...)

But it does prove that there's a lot of scope for improvement in performance... As what you've done exploits the core string replace code that's hard coded into autoit, giving it huge performance leaps...

I'm just surprised that no one from the dev team is replying in this thread...

#13 WolfWorld

WolfWorld

Mr.Terminator

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 11:32 AM

Is It like this

Func _Stringinstr($test1,$test2,$test3,$test4,$test5,$test6) $test11 = StringTrimLeft($test1,$test5) $test21 = StringTrimLeft($test2,$test5) $test12 = StringLeft($test11,$test6) $test22 = StringLeft($test21,$test6) return stringinstr($test12,$test22,$test3,$test4) endfunc

Edited by athiwatc, 01 September 2007 - 11:40 AM.

#14 randallc

randallc

Universalist

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,902 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 11:34 AM

Hey,
that only just wins;
I don't understand why your count should be wrong?...

1StringInStr ;0.1782 secs, found: 4650
22StringInStr (single compare);0.1623 secs, found: 4650
3StringRegExp ;0.2143 secs, found: 4650
4StringRegExp one;0.0146 secs, found: 4650
5StringRep one;0.0062 secs, found: 4650

AutoIt         
; StringRegExpKoshyJohn.au3 ;script by Koshy John ;Purpose: To compare the speed difference between StringInStr and StringRegExp manually ;To run: needs try.txt in the same folder ;Please note that the StringRegExp function query doesn't return the expected number of results. ;Kindly modify it to match the second #NoTrayIcon Local $query = "mp" ;query must start with m as most of the words in the Local $word Local $timetaken = TimerInit() Local $dfiles = 0 ; EXAMPLE ONE ;STRING IN STRING (ORIGINAL METHOD) - Fastest (even with multiple comparisons) - usually produces the most results $dfiles = 0 $qfile = FileOpen("try.txt", 0) If $qfile = -1 Then Exit $timetaken = TimerInit() While 1     $word = FileReadLine($qfile)     If @error Then ExitLoop     If StringInStr($word, $query, 2) Then $dfiles = $dfiles + 1 WEnd $timetaken = Round(TimerDiff($timetaken) / 1000, 4) FileClose($qfile) ;~ MsgBox(0, "1StringInStr", $timetaken & " secs, found: " & $dfiles) ConsoleWrite("1StringInStr ;"& $timetaken & " secs, found: " & $dfiles&@LF) ; EXAMPLE TWO ;STRING IN STRING (STARTING CHARACTER SINGLE CHECK METHOD; bending over backwards) ;this has varied results, in this example, its marginally faster but I've also seen cases where its marginally slower... ;but more or less its the same speed. There's no major earth shattering performance differences that you would expect. ; THE AIM IS TO REPLICATE THE BEHAVIOR OF THE FOLLOWING CODE USING STRINGREGEXP **************************************************** $dfiles = 0 Local $querylength = StringLen($query) $qfile = FileOpen("try.txt", 0) If $qfile = -1 Then Exit $timetaken = TimerInit() While 1     $word = FileReadLine($qfile)     If @error Then ExitLoop     If StringLeft($word, $querylength) = $query Then $dfiles = $dfiles + 1 WEnd $timetaken = Round(TimerDiff($timetaken) / 1000, 4) FileClose($qfile) ;~ MsgBox(0, "22StringInStr (single compare)", $timetaken & " secs, found: " & $dfiles) ConsoleWrite("22StringInStr (single compare);"& $timetaken & " secs, found: " & $dfiles&@LF) ; EXAMPLE THREE ;STRINGREGEXP -RANDALLC's code (try bettering it to match the results of EXAMPLE TWO in lesser time $qfile = FileOpen("try.txt", 0) If $qfile = -1 Then Exit $timetaken = TimerInit() $dfiles = 0 While 1     $word = FileReadLine($qfile)     If @error Then ExitLoop     ;If StringRegExp($word, "(?s)(?i)(?m:^|[\s|,|\.|\?\:])" & $query) Then $dfiles = $dfiles + 1 ;SMOKE_N's method - I've no idea what this does     If StringRegExp($word, '^(?i)' & $query & '.*$') Then $dfiles = $dfiles + 1 WEnd FileClose($qfile) $timetaken = Round(TimerDiff($timetaken) / 1000, 4) ;~ MsgBox(0, "3StringRegExp", $timetaken & "secs, matches: " & $dfiles) ConsoleWrite("3StringRegExp ;"& $timetaken & " secs, found: " & $dfiles&@LF) ; EXAMPLE 4 ;STRINGREGEXP -RANDALLC's code (try bettering it to match the results of EXAMPLE TWO in lesser time $qfile = FileOpen("try.txt", 0) If $qfile = -1 Then Exit $timetaken = TimerInit() $dfiles = 0 $word=FileRead($qfile) ;~ While 1 ;~  $word = FileReadLine($qfile) ;~  If @error Then ExitLoop ;~  ;If StringRegExp($word, "(?s)(?i)(?m:^|[\s|,|\.|\?\:])" & $query) Then $dfiles = $dfiles + 1 ;SMOKE_N's method - I've no idea what this does ;~ WEnd FileClose($qfile) local   $ar_files= StringRegExp($word, '(?m)(^(?i)' & $query & '.*$)',3), $dfiles=UBound($ar_files); Then $dfiles = $dfiles + 1 $timetaken = Round(TimerDiff($timetaken) / 1000, 4) ;~ MsgBox(0, "4StringRegExp", $timetaken & "secs, matches: " & $dfiles) ConsoleWrite("4StringRegExp one;"& $timetaken & " secs, found: " & $dfiles&@LF) $timetaken = TimerInit () $qfile = FileRead("try.txt") StringReplace($qfile, $query, "") $dfiles = @extended $timetaken = Round(TimerDiff($timetaken) / 1000,4) ;~ MsgBox (0,"StringReplace",$timetaken &"secs, matches: "& $dfiles) ConsoleWrite("5StringRep one;"& $timetaken & " secs, found: " & $dfiles&@LF) ;TO TEST FOR A BETTER SOLUTION, PLEASE MODIFY ONLY THE STRINGREGEXP LINE.
Randall
[EDIT; PS your script used the wrong file for the third test!]

Edited by randallc, 24 March 2008 - 01:12 PM.

#15 Koshy John

Koshy John

koshyjohn.com

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 01:10 PM

Hey,
that only just wins;
I don't understand why your count should be wrong?...

AutoIt         
; StringRegExpKoshyJohn.au3 ;script by Koshy John ;Purpose: To compare the speed difference between StringInStr and StringRegExp manually ;To run: needs try.txt in the same folder ;Please note that the StringRegExp function query doesn't return the expected number of results. ;Kindly modify it to match the second #NoTrayIcon Local $query = "mp" ;query must start with m as most of the words in the Local $word Local $timetaken = TimerInit() Local $dfiles = 0 ; EXAMPLE ONE ;STRING IN STRING (ORIGINAL METHOD) - Fastest (even with multiple comparisons) - usually produces the most results $dfiles = 0 $qfile = FileOpen("try.txt", 0) If $qfile = -1 Then Exit $timetaken = TimerInit() While 1     $word = FileReadLine($qfile)     If @error Then ExitLoop     If StringInStr($word, $query, 2) Then $dfiles = $dfiles + 1 WEnd $timetaken = Round(TimerDiff($timetaken) / 1000, 4) FileClose($qfile) ;~ MsgBox(0, "1StringInStr", $timetaken & " secs, found: " & $dfiles) ConsoleWrite("1StringInStr ;"& $timetaken & " secs, found: " & $dfiles&@LF) ; EXAMPLE TWO ;STRING IN STRING (STARTING CHARACTER SINGLE CHECK METHOD; bending over backwards) ;this has varied results, in this example, its marginally faster but I've also seen cases where its marginally slower... ;but more or less its the same speed. There's no major earth shattering performance differences that you would expect. ; THE AIM IS TO REPLICATE THE BEHAVIOR OF THE FOLLOWING CODE USING STRINGREGEXP **************************************************** $dfiles = 0 Local $querylength = StringLen($query) $qfile = FileOpen("try.txt", 0) If $qfile = -1 Then Exit $timetaken = TimerInit() While 1     $word = FileReadLine($qfile)     If @error Then ExitLoop     If StringLeft($word, $querylength) = $query Then $dfiles = $dfiles + 1 WEnd $timetaken = Round(TimerDiff($timetaken) / 1000, 4) FileClose($qfile) ;~ MsgBox(0, "22StringInStr (single compare)", $timetaken & " secs, found: " & $dfiles) ConsoleWrite("22StringInStr (single compare);"& $timetaken & " secs, found: " & $dfiles&@LF) ; EXAMPLE THREE ;STRINGREGEXP -RANDALLC's code (try bettering it to match the results of EXAMPLE TWO in lesser time $qfile = FileOpen("try.txt", 0) If $qfile = -1 Then Exit $timetaken = TimerInit() $dfiles = 0 While 1     $word = FileReadLine($qfile)     If @error Then ExitLoop     ;If StringRegExp($word, "(?s)(?i)(?m:^|[\s|,|\.|\?\:])" & $query) Then $dfiles = $dfiles + 1 ;SMOKE_N's method - I've no idea what this does     If StringRegExp($word, '^(?i)' & $query & '.*$') Then $dfiles = $dfiles + 1 WEnd FileClose($qfile) $timetaken = Round(TimerDiff($timetaken) / 1000, 4) ;~ MsgBox(0, "3StringRegExp", $timetaken & "secs, matches: " & $dfiles) ConsoleWrite("3StringRegExp ;"& $timetaken & " secs, found: " & $dfiles&@LF) ; EXAMPLE 4 ;STRINGREGEXP -RANDALLC's code (try bettering it to match the results of EXAMPLE TWO in lesser time $qfile = FileOpen("try.txt", 0) If $qfile = -1 Then Exit $timetaken = TimerInit() $dfiles = 0 $word=FileRead($qfile) ;~ While 1 ;~  $word = FileReadLine($qfile) ;~  If @error Then ExitLoop ;~  ;If StringRegExp($word, "(?s)(?i)(?m:^|[\s|,|\.|\?\:])" & $query) Then $dfiles = $dfiles + 1 ;SMOKE_N's method - I've no idea what this does ;~ WEnd FileClose($qfile) local   $ar_files= StringRegExp($word, '(?m)(^(?i)' & $query & '.*$)',3), $dfiles=UBound($ar_files); Then $dfiles = $dfiles + 1 $timetaken = Round(TimerDiff($timetaken) / 1000, 4) ;~ MsgBox(0, "4StringRegExp", $timetaken & "secs, matches: " & $dfiles) ConsoleWrite("4StringRegExp one;"& $timetaken & " secs, found: " & $dfiles&@LF) $timetaken = TimerInit () $qfile = FileRead("try.txt") StringReplace($qfile, $query, "") $dfiles = @extended $timetaken = Round(TimerDiff($timetaken) / 1000,4) ;~ MsgBox (0,"StringReplace",$timetaken &"secs, matches: "& $dfiles) ConsoleWrite("5StringRep one;"& $timetaken & " secs, found: " & $dfiles&@LF) ;TO TEST FOR A BETTER SOLUTION, PLEASE MODIFY ONLY THE STRINGREGEXP LINE.
Randall

I doublechecked and I still get the same value with the code I've put up... Your new code... I oon't see why you like consolewrites better... The console writes will prevent you from making a delay between tests, won't they... just asking...

Edited by Koshy John, 01 September 2007 - 01:11 PM.

#16 Koshy John

Koshy John

koshyjohn.com

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 01:14 PM

Anyway... Now that there is conclusive proof that StringRegExp is not up to the task... And there are people in favor of the new syntax... Nobody against (so far)...
So will anyone from the dev team at least tell us if this is feasible?

#17 randallc

randallc

Universalist

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,902 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 01:29 PM

I doublechecked and I still get the same value with the code I've put up... Your new code... I oon't see why you like consolewrites better... The console writes will prevent you from making a delay between tests, won't they... just asking...

Yes to the timing and consolewrite;
but i checked on my machine and it made no difference to timing which order, so should have been OK?..
What is going on with the incorrect results, though?; it may explain the discrepancy in the timing too..
Randall

#18 Zedna

Zedna

AutoIt rulez!

• MVPs
  • 8,557 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 02:07 PM

New optional parameters: start, limit

It seems to be good extension with 100% backward compatibility.
I like your idea.
Only better param names will be: start, end

#19 Koshy John

Koshy John

koshyjohn.com

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 02:32 PM

Yes to the timing and consolewrite;
but i checked on my machine and it made no difference to timing which order, so should have been OK?..
What is going on with the incorrect results, though?; it may explain the discrepancy in the timing too..
Randall

I'm trying to figure that out...

New optional parameters: start, limit

It seems to be good extension with 100% backward compatibility.
I like your idea.
Only better param names will be: start, end

Thanks for the vote of confidence! I guess 'end' would be a more intuitive name for that parameter... I just put up the syntax names for indicative purposes... Jon usually decides what to call it in the end, so I didn't bother..

#20 Jon

Jon

Up all night to get lucky

• Administrators
  • 10,292 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 08:12 PM

It's a decent suggestion, I'll add it to my list.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users