AutoIt Operating System Support

Jon

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can see why they don't upgrade to Vista, there are so many annoying bugs, way too much security, and it's slow. They should have abandoned Vista. Anyways, have you heard that Vista was such a failure, Microsoft is already working on Windows 7. Its crazy. I'll stop hijacking this thread now.

I can see why they don't upgrade to Vista, there are so many annoying bugs, way too much security, and it's slow. They should have abandoned Vista. Anyways, have you heard that Vista was such a failure, Microsoft is already working on Windows 7. Its crazy. I'll stop hijacking this thread now.

In all likelihood, Microsoft have been working on Windows 7 since before Vista even shipped. That's not abnormal nor is it a sign of failure of Vista. Rather, the failure of Vista isn't directly related to the fact that the next iteration of Windows is under development.

• Developers

The current version available can almost to everything so cannot see a reason not to freeze the development for the Win9X/Winnt type systems.

If any requirements exists in the next year or so they can use the current "A" version of the compiler and I could even leave support in the AutoIt3Wrapper for it so they just have to add the directive at the top of the script which would compile with the latest available aut2exeA.exe.

So I cannot see this being a big deal for most of the Corporate world, which in my mind is the only environment the still runs WinNT on a larger scale. All other environment like schools running win9x, its very unlikely that the people controlling the environment use AutoIt3.

Edited by Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

Hi.

For compatability, I think you should go back to when "consoleWrite" was working in ansi in Scite;

I still want to be able to write and debug scripts n my virtual Win(x machine...

? about 3.2.1.0? or before that?

Best, Randall

Last week, I found this time capsule from 1998 in our apartment. It was stuffed to the brim with "Hootie and the Blowfish" posters, pop-up adds for male enhancement, and a virtual cornucopia of AOL trial CDs. Somewhere near the bottom I found a Windows 98 OEM disk. It was then I realized that this was one of those evil time capsules.

Long story short, I ended up having to burn it to ensure the survival of the human race. You can thank me later.

I vote we jettison the weight.

Zach...

If any requirements exists in the next year or so they can use the current "A" version of the compiler and I could even leave support in the AutoIt3Wrapper for it so they just have to add the directive at the top of the script which would compile with the latest available aut2exeA.exe.

This is very good idea Jos.

My vote for implementation of this into AutoIt3Wrapper is here.

• Developers

This is very good idea Jos.

My vote for implementation of this into AutoIt3Wrapper is here.

It currently already is, "#AutoIt3Wrapper_useansi=y" will cause AutoIt3Wrapper to use AutoIt3A.exe or Aut2ExeA.exe .

:P

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

It currently already is, "#AutoIt3Wrapper_useansi=y" will cause AutoIt3Wrapper to use AutoIt3A.exe or Aut2ExeA.exe .

I'm afraid that just copy AutoIt3A.exe and Aut2ExeA.exe and use #AutoIt3Wrapper_useansi=y

will not sufficient because of different include files for 3.2.10 and newer 3.2.11+ version

and also au3check definitions.

• Developers

I'm afraid that just copy AutoIt3A.exe and Aut2ExeA.exe and use #AutoIt3Wrapper_useansi=y

will not sufficient because of different include files for 3.2.10 and newer 3.2.11+ version

and also au3check definitions.

True... means you would need a copy of the current production structure at a separate place for it to keep on working.

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

Several years ago, I hung out my shingle as an Independent Networking Consultant. My client base has grown from 10 hosts to several hundred, with a wide variety of hardware. When I run across a potential client still using win9x / NT4 , they are almost invariably doing so for specific reasons; typically related to high-cost interface cards with driver support that ended years ago.

Costs of these boards / systems are in the tens of thousands of dollars, and replacing them, the software they run , and rewriting the custom software written on the platform would run into the hundreds of thousands of dollars. These systems fulfill business needs, have been exhaustively debugged, and with adequate supplies of spare parts, will continue to do so for years or decades into the future.

So, while I wholeheartedly disagree with the "no business worth its salt would run on [manufacturer] unsupported hardware", I still believe that Jon's desire to work with the latest tools and to cease development on enhancing features for dead operating systems is quite rational, and his desire to continue to provide a link to the latest compatible version is more than reasonable.

There are a lot more useful (and fun) things that can be done with AutoIT than continuing to futz with making things work under win9x/NT4. The businesses that are continuing to run these older systems, in my experience, are not doing so out of sheer cheapness or cussedness, and well understand the realities of drivers / software and operating systems, much better than the follow the herd crowd.

As an AutoIT user, anything that makes Jon (or any of the development team) not want to continue to grow this language is something that is _bad_ for the community.

All the best to all of you.

edit for clarity

Edited by flyingboz

Reading the help file before you post... Not only will it make you look smarter, it will make you smarter.

Senton, that's stupid still 98? That's not good considering 98% of jobs use XP.

I actually wrote a letter to our principle (Because i couldn't get it to anybody else) requesting that she takes more interest in the computer systems. I suggested upgrading to XP, and then i even dared to ask for linux based machines.

I don't know what i was thinking ;)

I don't think anybody even got my letter anyway :P

Haha. I was talking to my college Admins as they are installing PHP and MySQL (I'm not explaining why) for me and one said "Why don't you just stay with Microsoft?".. I just laughed and said "Because only fools use Microsoft for stuff like this. Linux owns." and then the admins behind me laughed and said that they shouldn't get started on security.

We have one machine installed with Linux in a room me and a friend are having to work in (IT Director gave it to us)

XP is better than 98. You really cant do without it.

Haha. I was talking to my college Admins as they are installing PHP and MySQL (I'm not explaining why) for me and one said "Why don't you just stay with Microsoft?".. I just laughed and said "Because only fools use Microsoft for stuff like this. Linux owns." and then the admins behind me laughed and said that they shouldn't get started on security.

We have one machine installed with Linux in a room me and a friend are having to work in (IT Director gave it to us)

XP is better than 98. You really cant do without it.

Don't tell me, tell ms johnson :P