Does AutoIt affect the hal.dll in anyway at all?

Achilles

No, mine gets corrupt often, its not hard to fix.

Causes of the "missing or corrupt hal.dll" error include, naturally, a damaged hal.dll file or a hal.dll file that has been deleted or moved from its intended location.

Additional causes may include a damaged or missing boot.ini file or possibly a physically damaged hard drive.

Edit:

Hal.dll is the core file of the Windows NT family of operating systems that provides and handles the interaction of software and hardware via the Hardware Abstraction Layer. Without hal.dll being present, any machine running a Windows NT based operating system will fail to function, if it even boots.

Windows includes several HALs to support different kinds of hardware; the appropriate HAL is chosen during the initial installation of Windows. Generally speaking, the determining factors for HAL selection are uni- vs. multi-processor CPU, ACPI vs. non-ACPI, and APIC vs. PIC.

Edited by JustinReno

That's the error that I've gotten twice which, since I don't know much about fixing computer's, had led me to reinstall windows both times.

When thinking what could of caused this problem I realized that, unless I'm mistaken, both times I got the error I had very recently installed a newer version of AutoIt.

@Justin: Any idea why it gets corrupted? And how do you fix it easily?

Edited by Piano_Man
My Programs[list][*]Knight Media Player[*]Multiple Desktops[*]Daily Comics[*]Journal[/list]

I'm not sure why it would, but maybe moved/deleted, or the boot.ini could have been modified.

To fix it, I'd have my backup linux distro (Puppy Linux) on a USB key. Then download hal.dll on the net (Its all over it) and replace the currupted hal.dll with the new one, or just put the new one there if the old one isn't.

The linux distro Puppy Linux is probably the easiest, it can also run from CD(And can save back to it!).

:)