This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more here. X
X

Photo

suggestion to use different modifiers on send() & hotkeyset()

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
37 replies to this topic

#21 jennico

jennico

Universalist

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 05:10 PM

ya, now i understood and we are d'accord.

j.

you said:

It doesn't:

and i thought this refers to:

That makes more sense

but you wanted to say, that {} does not do it. Right !!!!

i think we agree that the bug is identified now.

Edited by jennico, 21 December 2007 - 05:15 PM.

I actively support Wikileaks | Freedom for Julian Assange ! | Defend freedom of speech ! | Fight censorship ! | I will not silence.Posted ImageDon't forget this IP: 213.251.145.96

#22 Valik

Valik

Former developer.

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,879 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 05:59 PM

Not a bug, lack of feature.

#23 jennico

jennico

Universalist

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 06:50 PM

definitely a matter of point of view.
I actively support Wikileaks | Freedom for Julian Assange ! | Defend freedom of speech ! | Fight censorship ! | I will not silence.Posted ImageDon't forget this IP: 213.251.145.96

#24 Valik

Valik

Former developer.

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,879 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 07:09 PM

definitely a matter of point of view.

Not really. It's more a question of "was the feature written to work and doesn't" versus "the feature was never written to work that way". As far as I know, this is the latter.

#25 Richard Robertson

Richard Robertson

Universalist

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,298 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 08:20 PM

Ok, well, I guess my first suggestion is valid then, why can't you just use a different hotkey?

#26 Valik

Valik

Former developer.

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,879 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 08:40 PM

As far as I'm concerned, "because I don't want to" is a good enough answer in this case. HotKeySet() needs to support the bracket notation, and should if for no other reason than consistency with Send(), never mind the fact that some hotkeys are not able to be set if it doesn't support it.

#27 jennico

jennico

Universalist

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 09:04 PM

I found another problem with hotkeyset:

(i am working on a script that hotkeys all keys resp. the scan codes of the keys, that`s why i happen to notice the probs. by the way, the helpfile about hotkeyset refers to the "send" command, so the analogy should be valid in any case.)

hotkeset("!a") only hoteys the left alt key, not the "alt gr" to the right. in fact, the command
HotKeySet("{RALT"&$x&"}","_HotKey")

does not work at all. it seems that the right alt key currently cannot be hotkeyed.

at least on my keyboard, maybe anyone could verify that.

thank you for your kind understanding, i find this hard to describe.

and i think, there are no more problems, since i have desperately tried everything in the last two days. :)

j.

Edited by jennico, 21 December 2007 - 09:19 PM.

#28 Valik

Valik

Former developer.

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,879 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 09:28 PM

AltGr is not the same as right alt.

#29 jennico

jennico

Universalist

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 09:43 PM

really ? i am confused. all my keyboards have alt gr and not right alt.

but - could this be made possible ? e.g. "€" or "@" ?

j.

#30 Valik

Valik

Former developer.

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,879 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 10:28 PM

Assuming you are using the correct layout, then Ctrl+Alt+<key> will produce the same thing as AltGr+<key>.

#31 ako673de

ako673de

Seeker

• Active Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 10:01 AM

As far as I'm concerned, "because I don't want to" is a good enough answer in this case. HotKeySet() needs to support the bracket notation, and should if for no other reason than consistency with Send(), never mind the fact that some hotkeys are not able to be set if it doesn't support it.

Excuse me for a maybe needless question: Do I understand it right, that with this post you agreed, that HotKeySet MUST be modified to support "bracket" notification for the modifier keys?

In the meantime, I think it would be very helpful for us to have a workaround. What I'm thinking about is the native WinAPI function of the same name. I personally am not so familiar with the parameters of this function (Virtual key codes or so), so I would like to ask for some help on this...

#32 Valik

Valik

Former developer.

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,879 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 03:13 PM

Excuse me for a maybe needless question: Do I understand it right, that with this post you agreed, that HotKeySet MUST be modified to support "bracket" notification for the modifier keys?

Needless? Indeed. I don't see how you can't understand the second sentence of my previous post, or more differently, if you can't understand the second sentence, I don't see how I can re-phrase it to make it any clearer.

In the meantime, I think it would be very helpful for us to have a workaround. What I'm thinking about is the native WinAPI function of the same name. I personally am not so familiar with the parameters of this function (Virtual key codes or so), so I would like to ask for some help on this...

So you want a work-around for a problem that's been there since day one? A work-around, mind you, that would take more time to write, test and develop than it would to just wait for this to be added to the native function?

#33 ako673de

ako673de

Seeker

• Active Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 24 December 2007 - 11:03 AM

Needless? Indeed. I don't see how you can't understand the second sentence of my previous post, or more differently, if you can't understand the second sentence, I don't see how I can re-phrase it to make it any clearer.

OK, admittedly the "second sentence" IS clear, it says that bracket notation MUST be fixed. I just wanted to confirm, because earlier in this thread it did not always sound that clear ("intended" ... "lack of feature", just to name some of the key words).

So you want a work-around for a problem that's been there since day one? A work-around, mind you, that would take more time to write, test and develop than it would to just wait for this to be added to the native function?

Do you agree, that "HotkeySet()" is not much more than a (very user friendly) front end to the WinAPI-function "RegisterHotkey()"? It most probably does nothing more than to 1) convert the "string" to a "virtual key code" and "modifier code", 2) supply the message handler for WM_HOTKEY, 3) call the WinAPI-function directly. If so, the discussed "bracket notation" issue can only be in the "conversion" part of the HotkeySet() source code. Still agreed? If so, my next idea was, why not use the WinAPI-function directly for the problem chars "!","#" and "+"? And that's what my question is all about: Do you see a way to do this? I'm sure you do. The question is HOW?

Another idea: You say it takes much time to write a workaround. OK, let me contribute! Give me the (hopefully AutoIt-) source code of HotKeySet() and I will have that fixed within minutes. I don't see too much trouble there because I won't have to write anything new (to remind: bracket notation is not completely broken, it does work for e.g. all NumPad-keys, "END", "POS1, "PGUP", ..., well, simply all except '^','!','+','#','{', and '}').

regards
AKo

#34 Jon

Jon

Up all night to get lucky

• Administrators
  • 10,620 posts

Posted 24 December 2007 - 11:29 AM

All the threads on this subject completely baffle me. Let me summarize:

1. HotkeySet doesn't use the {} notation.
2. It probably should to make it the same as Send()
3. It's design fault/feature request rather than a bug
4. We know how to do it but it's at the bottom of the list in terms of things of importance to spend time on.

#35 Valik

Valik

Former developer.

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,879 posts

Posted 24 December 2007 - 03:40 PM

OK, admittedly the "second sentence" IS clear, it says that bracket notation MUST be fixed. I just wanted to confirm, because earlier in this thread it did not always sound that clear ("intended" ... "lack of feature", just to name some of the key words).

I fail to see the correlation between something not being intended and being a lack of feature and it never being present in the future. I said it was something that needed added and that's that. It doesn't matter how you choose to (mis)interpret previous posts, that was the most recent, definitive response on the subject. It doesn't matter if I said at the very top of the thread "it will never happen" and then two posts later "we'll do it sometime". There is no confusion. These threads are sorted chronologically. Whatever appears later is the most recent situation. Anything appearing prior to that (in time) which does not coincide is no longer relevant.

This lack-of-feature has (not) been in AutoIt since the day HotKeySet() was added. It is most assuredly not a critical issue, despite what certain individuals think. Furthermore, giving you the source to fix the issue (that we could fix ourselves) is rather absurd. If you are that critically desperate to have the functionality immediately, then write it yourself, I guess. I think that's stupid and pointless unless you have an application that must ship very soon, but whatever.

Much like Jon, I too am baffled why this is such a big deal. Apparently people are fanatical about their hotkeys, this sort of behavior reminds me of another incident concerning hotkeys and stupid behavior...

#36 Jon

Jon

• Administrators
  • 10,620 posts

Posted 24 December 2007 - 04:15 PM

Not trying to be rude by closing this thread, but we have everything we need to implement it and the tone of the threads and PMs are totally over-the-top.

#37 Valik

Valik

Former developer.

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,879 posts

Posted 24 December 2007 - 04:23 PM

Oooh, over-the-top PMs as well? Do share!

#38 Jon

Jon

• Administrators
  • 10,620 posts

Posted 24 December 2007 - 04:49 PM

It's been added for next beta.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users