SMF - The fastest duplicate files finder... [Updated 2023-Jun-03]

KaFu

• Moderators

johnfrag,

Delighted to hear that - but we do not accept adverts for paid software. ;)

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

When I attempted to delete individual duplicate files, SMF deleted my entire Pictures folder. Luckily, it was simply moved to the Recycling folder, so I was able to restore it. But needless to say, I'm going to stop using SMF until you figure out what's wrong.

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate this feedback tcurran!

Yes, you are right, there was an error. In the report settings there is an option called "Remove empty folders", which was enabled by default (disabled by default now).

Now with delete to recycle bin SMF first checked the parent folder filesize before removing it, only doing so if filesize + filecount = 0. Sadly this function did not work as it should, I parsed a "\" too much to it, so the function translated it to something like "c:\pictures\\*.*", which did not work. Luckily this only effected the FileRecycle() deletion part, because in the delete permanently part the function to remove the directory only works if the directory is actually empty (WinApi call to "RemoveDirectory")... that's also the reason why I never noticed this, because I do not use the recycle bin but just delete the files permanently and thus never encountered this.

2013-Mar-21, Changelog 3.1 > 3.2

• Report: Bug fixed in the "Remove empty folders" feature (only delete to recycle bin effected), thanks to tcurran for reporting!
Source and Executable are available at

http://www.funk.eu

Best Regards

Updated first Post... Enjoy :)...

Edited by KaFu

• Moderators

georgesam,

Just as I announced a few posts above yours, we do not accepts adverts for commercial paid software. :)

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

• 5 weeks later...

Are there any BASIC instructions for using SMF?

I'm trying it on my XP-based desktop and it never returns any results for any search I try.

With so many settings, I'm certainly not sure I'm using it correctly. To be clear, I'm not requesting a User's Manual. I only need a "Steps 1, 2 and 3" sort of thing ... which fields to enter ... which buttons to click. If I can get ANY result from it, I can figure the other options out.

Thanks for any help.

Just re-downloaded it to my Virtual-XP to test. Download, unzip, run SMF.exe, install as portable (no change), start search, the initial settings will search the desktop dir... that works fine for me. If it does not work for you, please PM me a screenshot of the program's main GUI.

Here's an example of what I mean. I have a file called Marketing.rtf on my Desktop. Searching that specific directory for "Marketing" doesn't return anything.

Are the instructions as simple as:

1. Select one or more directories to search

2. Type the search word or characters

3. Set the file type to search for ... or enter *

4. Click Search

Yes?

post-29172-0-97055700-1366743801_thumb.p

Now that's strange, I'll cross-check that, thanks for reporting. What's the output on the "Progress" tab? Meanwhile search for "*" and then filter in the report itself and set the filter for the "Filename Long" column (field directly under the "Like Expression" combo) to "market".

Here's more information:

When I click at the top of the Long Filename column when Files Matching Filter=1, the Marketing.rtf pops into view.

However, when I use the Dos Wildcard Seach, it does not find that file at all. Is that normal?

When I click at the top of the Long Filename column when Files Matching Filter=1, the Marketing.rtf pops into view.

Yeah, sadly there is a bug. The initial report filters are not applied appropriately, you have to click a column (fixed in next version, hope to release it tomorrow or Friday latest... before the vacation :)).

However, when I use the Dos Wildcard Seach, it does not find that file at all. Is that normal?

Damn, this thingy is just too complex, had to trace the source to see it myself...

You searched for "Marke" and received what you've asked for, you should have searched for "Marke*"... DOS Wildcards :)....

Thanks for the feedback!

Edit: Maybe a remark. I use the "search" field on the main GUI only for complex searches (e.g. hasing, MediaInfo extraction) because it speeds up the overall search process by pre-skipping not matching files and folders. For standard search I always use the "*" and do the filtering afterwards in the report.

Edit #2: Here's a link to the current beta executable for those who want to test it :)...

SMF_40_Beta.html

Edited by KaFu

2013-Apr-25, Changelog 3.2 > 4.0

• Fixed some SQLite deadlock situations
  • Improved "File Content" search
  • Report: Improved filtering / default settings & workflow
  • Report: Added "Move Secure" feature (copy & erase)
  • Report - ToolTip Preview - Show Details: Added "On-Hover show file HEX & content" feature
  • Improved Portable and Fixed install routines
  • ContextMenu search now works for multiple directory selection
  • Search by Command-line , use ";" to delimit multiple directories to search
  • Updated SQLite DLL to 3.7.16.2
  • Updated TrID Definitions to version 2013 Apr 23
Source and Executable are available at

http://www.funk.eu

Best Regards

Updated first Post... Enjoy :)...

• 1 month later...

KaFu,

SMF is awesome, I just tested it :)

Few questions:

1. Can we enter EXCLUDE words/string? That mean search for all files that fit criteria that doesn't have those string on the filepath+filename

2. The template we can save, only 10? Can we save more than 10 template?

3. Can we rename the template name, not just "Save #1", "Save #2", etc?

Thanks!

Glad you like it :). "NOT LIKE Expression" in the report excludes the entered term, but currently no multiple excludes / includes are possible. But as topic 2. and 3., this seems like a good idea to implement into the upcoming v5 :lol:...

Just notice there is a "NOT LIKE expression" in the report, great! :)

Yes, please implement topic 2 and 3 in the upcoming v5 if it possible, some (maybe minor) users will need that :)

I'm going to test SMF later at office to searching on our slow SMB network for thousands of files, is it fast enough or not o:)

Thanks again for sharing this great works to every of us!

KaFu,

I dont know what you've doing with your code, but I search around 20,000 files over my slow 10/100mbps SMB network only in 75 seconds,

versus 370 seconds from application I used before.

Plus your's have much more flexibility on the search result (filter LIKE, NOT LIKE)

:thumbsup::geek:

I dont know what you've doing with your code, but I search around 20,000 files over my slow 10/100mbps SMB network only in 75 seconds, versus 370 seconds from application I used before.

Good to hear :), pulled all the plugs, stripped most error checking, SMF is using global buffers for the SQLite calls and many, many minor tweaks. On the configs I've tested it on, the hardware itself is clearly the limiting factor :whistle:. I'm really curious how SMF performs on an SSD drive. A repeated search (system buffers filled) results in some 2.800 files/sec on my WD Raptor drive.

Does it support command line? If no, please to consider it for v5.0 :)

Basic command line usage only. Call usage is something like "SMF.exe c:test", I needed this for the windows explorer contextmenu integrate search. But I really do not plan to add much more command line commands, as SMF is just to complex to replicate all the possible uses :)...

• 3 weeks later...
  • KaFu changed the title to SMF - The fastest duplicate files finder... [Updated 2023-Jun-03]