Installer Creator

TheSaint

Ok, Installer Creator has been updated to v2.6, and is hopefully now compatible for AutoIt v3.2.0.1 --> v3.3.0.0.

Download from here.

I've just downloaded the Installer Creator, and got pretty excited, but I am having the old "Variable" error mentioned above.

I downloaded the installer (v.2.7) using the URL listed here: http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=27195.

I am running Windows XP, SP3. I have tried the Installer Creator on AutoIT v3.3.0.0 and v3.3.6.1, both of which give similar errors.

(The error occurs when running the created setup exe, not during the build or creation)

I have created my install package many times, and it creates fine. The error occurs when the installation is occurring. I have tried changing the build options in many ways, all with the same result.

Here's the error: Posted Image

Title: "AutoIt Error"

Line 89 (File "C:\WINDOWS\Temp\[program name]\Installer.exe"):

Error: Variable used without being declared.

Any assistance is appreciated.

Thanks!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've just downloaded the Installer Creator, and got pretty excited, but I am having the old "Variable" error mentioned above.

I downloaded the installer (v.2.7) using the URL listed here: http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index....le=attach&section=attach&attach_id=27195.

I am running Windows XP, SP3. I have tried the Installer Creator on AutoIT v3.3.0.0 and v3.3.6.1, both of which give similar errors.

(The error occurs when running the created setup exe, not during the build or creation)

I have created my install package many times, and it creates fine. The error occurs when the installation is occurring. I have tried changing the build options in many ways, all with the same result.

Here's the error: Posted Image

Title: "AutoIt Error"

Line 89 (File "C:\WINDOWS\Temp\[program name]\Installer.exe"):

Error: Variable used without being declared.

Any assistance is appreciated.

Thanks!

Sorry to take so long to get back to you NewLeafIT, I've been away from the web a few days ... happens now & then.

It's been awhile since I've worked on that program (a year?), and I still use it nearly every day, so I'll need to look into it.

It must be something unusual or I'd have more reports by now.

It would also help (and may be necessary), if you create your installer using the don't delete scripts or somesuch option, then either check the faulty line in question (Installer.au3?) or maybe better still send it to me in a PM or post it here (the whole script (.au3) that is). If you feel you need to disguise names or text, then be careful how you do that, because I may need to do comparisons if the problem isn't easy to determine.

It could be some kind of permission error with your temp folder, or something to do with the unzipping element (most likely), which I didn't create (_ZipFunctions.au3).

Have you tried an install on another Win XP PC?

Are you using the EXE or PACKAGE version?

Though going by the Installer.exe error, that would probably be the EXE version. I use the PACKAGE version all the time now (except for one PC which I rarely install on, and which I deliberately use the EXE versions on when I do). I still however, create both types each time - with the older backed up versions of my programs having all but the last version EXE deleted from them (I always keep the zipped PACKAGES though for every version).

Make sure brain is in gear before opening mouth!
Remember, what is not said, can be just as important as what is said.

Spoiler

What is the Secret Key? Life is like a Donut

If I put effort into communication, I expect you to read properly & fully, or just not comment.
Ignoring those who try to divert conversation with irrelevancies.
If I'm intent on insulting you or being rude, I will be obvious, not ambiguous about it.
I'm only big and bad, to those who have an over-active imagination.

I may have the Artistic Liesense ;) to disagree with you. TheSaint's Toolbox (be advised many downloads are not working due to ISP screwup with my storage)

userbar.png

• 11 months later...

Do you still support this product, mate?

Support is not really the correct term for a program I made for my own personal use but are happy to share.

I still use the latest version (possibly not the one available here) every day.

I'm aware of one issue in particular, related to permissions, that I will be looking more deeply into shortly. It's been mentioned here before, but until a virus recently made some changes to my Laptop, I couldn't replicate the issue on any of my PC's.

What support are you after?

There hasn't been much interest in my program for a while, but if someone were to ask nicely, I might just ensure that the latest version is available here, with the long overdue source code. Please note though, that I haven't used it beyond AutoIt version 3.3.0.0 ... I have periods where I get happily stuck in a time warp, and only update when something requires it.

Spoiler

If I put effort into communication, I expect you to read properly & fully, or just not comment.
If I'm intent on insulting you or being rude, I will be obvious, not ambiguous about it.

I may have the Artistic Liesense ;) to disagree with you. TheSaint's Toolbox (be advised many downloads are not working due to ISP screwup with my storage)

userbar.png

• 10 months later...

TheSaint, Thank you for this piece if work.

The Installer file doesn't include some of the necessary '#includes etc', I had to manually change them. Would you consider releasing the source code, so that someone with more time then yourself can update it?

Thanks!

@tes5884 - I guess it may be your lucky day? Enjoy!

I make no promises about this copy of version 2.9, as I didn't have a zip for it. Instead I replaced the exe in the version 2.8 zip, plus added a few other files - History.txt (text copied from the installer setup exe version), Installer Creator.au3 & Uninstall.au3 (sources) and a few other files related to the Uninstaller element. However, this is the version I've been using for quite some time now (in Windows XP mind) and it works well. I think that everything you need is in the zip. I have one or two further changes in store, or at least in my mind, but it remains to be seen whether I ever commit to them.

Installer Creator v2.9.zip

As always, see my Disclaimer here.

Edited by TheSaint

Spoiler

userbar.png

• 3 weeks later...

No worries, thanks for that.

Should no doubt change the version number to v3.0 now.

I'm obviously still a bit behind the times and hadn't gotten around to all that.

And not done much programming lately.

I was going to look into addressing the permissions side of things at some point.

I was also going to add the ability to run a program in the first stage of an uninstall. Typically this would be a program that would fix/cleanup/restore registry entries that could have been modified/created by the original installed program. I was thinking along the lines of running the original program exe with a switch, that would tell it to restore (etc) any changes it may have made. Once the exe closed, the uninstall would continue. Obviously, each person who created a program, would need to give their program that ability ... the Uninstaller element would only need to know the exe name and switch parameter, which would have been specified during the creation of the Installer. In very simplistic terms though, it could just run the original exe and prompt the user to undo any (system/reg) changes made by that program.

You may have noticed, that the package feature (just a zip file for all program elements, along with an instructional ini file) requires my Universal Installer program? Essentially, that program offers two abilities - (1) If installed, you can right-click any suitable zip file, and tell it to install the program within the zip, getting presented with the same menu you would normally see from Installer Creator exe's. Or (2) Use it to create an install and uninstall on the fly, from any zip file containing a program exe.

Obviously, when the package is created, you end up with a far smaller installer file, than the Setup exe, plus the added benefit of being just a zip file too, which allows complete manual extraction. For the install element to work though, every user of a package, has to have Universal Installer installed, plus be aware that it is accessed by a right-click context menu Install option.

No doubt, the Includes for Universal Installer need to be updated. Sing out if you are interested in tackling that, and I'll provide the latest source.

I tend to use the package feature all the time now, by preference.

Edited by TheSaint

Spoiler

userbar.png

• 2 weeks later...

Sure thing. Send me the source for Universal Installer, and I'll take a look.

I finally found the source of the latest version, and uploaded it to it's

NOTE

It appears I had already done much of the following for Installer Creator, and forgotten about it. See it's Uninstall Options window.

I was also going to add the ability to run a program in the first stage of an uninstall. Typically this would be a program that would fix/cleanup/restore registry entries that could have been modified/created by the original installed program. I was thinking along the lines of running the original program exe with a switch, that would tell it to restore (etc) any changes it may have made. Once the exe closed, the uninstall would continue. Obviously, each person who created a program, would need to give their program that ability ... the Uninstaller element would only need to know the exe name and switch parameter, which would have been specified during the creation of the Installer. In very simplistic terms though, it could just run the original exe and prompt the user to undo any (system/reg) changes made by that program.

Not only had I forgotten about it, but I don't think I've yet used it.

Spoiler

userbar.png