Learning To Script with AutoIt V3

BrettF

Typos happen to the best of us. Example: you said "plane" not "plan" lol. It's actually reassuring to know that experts make mistakes too. Also as I said if you'd like to use my STE go for it, in fact I'd be honored if you did :). Perhaps throw in some DLL tutorials and custom GUIs? I've barely started working with DllStructCreate() so this would help me out as well :). Also why not make the exercises more "worksheet-like"? Like have blanks to fill in instead of just a lot of blank space at the bottom or do multiple choice. Just suggestions but this really seems like it's going to be a monster when it's finished XD.

Fill in the blanks I can do. I could make paragraphs like:

And a _________ stores _____ such as numbers, strings, and ........

o:)

Thats a common typo for me. The other is to go survery instead of survey. I actually have to really think about typing that word :)

I do belive monoceres was doing some work on a DLL tutorial, (I think it was him), but if not that is on my list, that and I will probably do some work on boting, as many of the things that go through this forum are about that. I think another is maybe a tutorial on SciTE and the forums, just for some variety. :)

Cheers,

Brett

You've been planning this haven't you? lol If you do make a tutorial on boting I can help you out if you'd like, that's all I've been doing the past few weeks.

Hi all,

I had a dream :)

Here's the deal, create a new Subforum with AutoIT exercices :)

I hope that revising the exercices would not take much time!

Cheers

Old Scriptology

Visual Ping 1.8 - Mass Ping Program with export to txt delimited.

Desktop 2 RGB and YMCK - Pick a color in the desktop and get the RGB and YMCK code.

Desktop 2 RGB - Pick a color in the desktop and get the RGB code.

ShootIT 1.0 - Screen Capture full and partial screen

[font="'Arial Black';"]Remember Remember The Fifth of November.[/font]

Hi all,

I had a dream :)

Here's the deal, create a new Subforum with AutoIT exercices ;)

I hope that revising the exercices would not take much time!

Cheers

I think the example scripts forum counts for the exercises don't you? :) Also from the looks of things I've seen fixing it should only take a few minutes, that is when he gets time to do it o:).

I think the example scripts forum counts for the exercises don't you? :) Also from the looks of things I've seen fixing it should only take a few minutes, that is when he gets time to do it :).

Indeed you are right, but my idea was regarding this thread, for new AutoIT users.

If i was in their shoes, some of the examples could get the crap out of me (And some still does o:) )

But, it was only an idea ;)

Cheers

Old Scriptology

Visual Ping 1.8 - Mass Ping Program with export to txt delimited.

Desktop 2 RGB and YMCK - Pick a color in the desktop and get the RGB and YMCK code.

Desktop 2 RGB - Pick a color in the desktop and get the RGB code.

ShootIT 1.0 - Screen Capture full and partial screen

[font="'Arial Black';"]Remember Remember The Fifth of November.[/font]

You've been planning this haven't you? lol If you do make a tutorial on boting I can help you out if you'd like, that's all I've been doing the past few weeks.

Possibly... :)

EDIT:

Oh and sure thing about the help. :)

Edited by BrettF

Possibly... :)

EDIT:

Oh and sure thing about the help. :)

If you do this then PLEASE keep it as a seperate Tut.

George

Question about decompiling code? Read the decompiling FAQ and don't bother posting the question in the forums.

Be sure to read and follow the forum rules. -AKA the AutoIt Reading and Comprehension Skills test.***

The PCRE (Regular Expression) ToolKit for AutoIT - (Updated Oct 20, 2011 ver:3.0.1.13) - Please update your current version before filing any bug reports. The installer now includes both 32 and 64 bit versions. No change in version number.

Visit my Blog .. currently not active but it will soon be resplendent with news and views. Also please remove any links you may have to my website. it is soon to be closed and replaced with something else.

"Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!"

Yes I will. But I will keep the topic... Easier to have one central topic rather than flooding the forums with several tutorials... It also keeps them in one place making it easier to find them all. :)

I just thought of something. Are you planning to add a StringRegExp() tutorial as well? If you are perhaps it could be broken down into sections, starting easy then progressing? If you do it might be a good idea to ask Szhlopp to include his RegEx Tester. This seems to be growing into a community collaboration anyway so what would it hurt? :)

I'm trying to learn myself so a good tutorial would be great for everyone. The tester helps a lot but it's still not as good as having a good understanding of the StringRegExp() function. Trial and error can only get you so far.

Bump!

Updated!

Fixed some things up and added section on UDFs and expanded on the GUI section.

Might start working on some others later.

Comments? Suggestions?

Cheers,

Brett

• 4 weeks later...

Bump! Anyone found any errors, or stuff that needs to be fixed up? Is there anything I should add- providing I have time...?

Not that I've noticed Brett but I'm sure if something comes to light you will be able to hear the whining down under.

George

Question about decompiling code? Read the decompiling FAQ and don't bother posting the question in the forums.

Be sure to read and follow the forum rules. -AKA the AutoIt Reading and Comprehension Skills test.***

The PCRE (Regular Expression) ToolKit for AutoIT - (Updated Oct 20, 2011 ver:3.0.1.13) - Please update your current version before filing any bug reports. The installer now includes both 32 and 64 bit versions. No change in version number.

Visit my Blog .. currently not active but it will soon be resplendent with news and views. Also please remove any links you may have to my website. it is soon to be closed and replaced with something else.

"Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!"

In chapter 6 you mention the logical operator of NOT and describe it as (false).

I think it may be a good place to elaborate on what exactly constitutes TRUE and FALSE from AutoIt's perspective.

Something along the lines of TRUE being equal to any string that is "not null" and any numeric value not equal to zero.

Or maybe that FALSE equals null ("") or a numeric equivalent of zero, and that anything else is considered TRUE.

As I think this code demonstrates:

$i_Value1 = 0
$i_Value2 = 0.0
$i_Value3 = 0.001
$i_Value4 = 1000
$i_Value5 = 20 - 25
$s_Value1 = ""
$s_Value2 = "0"
$s_Value3 = "0.00"
$s_Value4 = "toast"

If $i_Value1 Then
    ConsoleWrite($i_Value1 & "=TRUE" & @CRLF)
Else
    ConsoleWrite($i_Value1 & "=FALSE" & @CRLF)
EndIf
If $i_Value2 Then
    ConsoleWrite($i_Value2 & "=TRUE" & @CRLF)
Else
    ConsoleWrite($i_Value2 & "=FALSE" & @CRLF)
EndIf
If $i_Value3 Then ConsoleWrite($i_Value3 & "=TRUE" & @CRLF)
If $i_Value4 Then ConsoleWrite($i_Value4 & "=TRUE" & @CRLF)
If $i_Value5 Then ConsoleWrite($i_Value5 & "=TRUE" & @CRLF)
If $s_Value1 Then
    ConsoleWrite($s_Value1 & "=TRUE" & @CRLF)
Else
    ConsoleWrite($s_Value1 & "=FALSE" & @CRLF)
EndIf
If $s_Value2 Then ConsoleWrite($s_Value2 & "=TRUE" & @CRLF)
If $s_Value3 Then ConsoleWrite($s_Value3 & "=TRUE" & @CRLF)
If $s_Value4 Then ConsoleWrite($s_Value4 & "=TRUE" & @CRLF)

with these results:

0=FALSE
0=FALSE
0.001=TRUE
1000=TRUE
-5=TRUE
=FALSE
0=TRUE
0.00=TRUE
toast=TRUE
Edited by SpookMeister

[u]Helpful tips:[/u]If you want better answers to your questions, take the time to reproduce your issue in a small "stand alone" example script whenever possible. Also, make sure you tell us 1) what you tried, 2) what you expected to happen, and 3) what happened instead.[u]Useful links:[/u]BrettF's update to LxP's "How to AutoIt" pdfValuater's Autoit 1-2-3 Download page for the latest versions of Autoit and SciTE[quote]<glyph> For example - if you came in here asking "how do I use a jackhammer" we might ask "why do you need to use a jackhammer"<glyph> If the answer to the latter question is "to knock my grandmother's head off to let out the evil spirits that gave her cancer", then maybe the problem is actually unrelated to jackhammers[/quote]