Font Viewer

Yashied

LAST VERSION - 1.4

19-Apr-10

The program is designed for viewing, installing and removing fonts from the system. Unlike other similar utilities, Font Viewer does not require the installation of fonts in the system to view them. The supported fonts are OpenType, TrueType, and Type1. Another useful - possibility of a temporary (until the first reboot) installing fonts. Ie fonts will not be copied to the Fonts folder and will not be entered in the register, but will stay in memory and accessible to all program until the computer would not restart. Viewing fonts can be carried out in the main program window or in a separate. This is handy when you need to see a large text. All program settings are stored in the registry.

I'm hopeful somebody will find my program useful for themselves. Please post all your comments in this thread, I will be glad to any feedback and suggestions.

FontViewer.png

History

• Increased several times the speed of the enumerating fonts.
  • Improved algorithm of "live" slider in a preview window.
  • Viewed fonts are now loaded in a private mode, ie invisible in other programs.
  • The "Install..." button now disabled if the font is already installed in the system (previously it was a warning message).
  • Added MRU (Most Recently Used) list for the last browsed folders.
  • Added ability to copy the selected font file(s) in the specified folder (right-click on any font in the list).
  • Added ability to highlight and copy to clipboard the font name in the "Info" section and "Add Font" dialog.
  • Added ability to scroll text in the preview window.
  • Added hotkeys to zoom in (CTRL+) and zoom out (CTRL-) the font size in the preview window.
  • Added support for Drag-and-Drop.
  • Changed "Select Folder" dialog (added the number of fonts found).
  • Used new ColorPicker UDF library (1.4).
  • Fixed a bug related to the release of internal resources.
  • Slightly improved performance.
  • Added ability to search in the list of fonts. (See screenshot)
  • The text that was set to the preview is now saved for both windows at the next program start.
  • Added command line support. (See "About" dialog - "fontviewer.exe /h")
  • Added information about the number of found fonts.
  • Added flash in taskbar when the focus was lost.
  • Added hotkey (CTRL-T) to insert the default text in the preview windows.
  • Improved handling algorithm for WM_FONTCHANGE window message.
  • Improved GUI "friendliness".
  • Improved performance for searching fonts.
  • Fixed bug that consist in losing of the focus when Tab is switching by using the keyboard.
  • Fixed few minor bugs.

Supported operating systems

Windows XP+

Files to download

Binary

Redirection to FontViewer_bin.zip, 644 MB

FontViewer_bin.html

Source

Redirection to FontViewer_source.zip, 206 KB

FontViewer_source.html

Edited by Yashied

LAST VERSION - 1.0

28-Jun-09

The program is designed for viewing, installing and removing fonts from the system. Unlike other similar utilities, Font Viewer does not require the installation of fonts in the system to view them. The supported fonts are OpenType, TrueType, and Type1. Another useful - the possibility of a temporary (until the first reboot) installing fonts. Ie fonts will not be copied to the Fonts folder and will not be entered in the register, but will stay in memory and accessible to all program until the computer would not restart. Viewing fonts can be carried out in the main program window or in a separate. This is handy when you need to see a large text. All program settings are stored in the registry. I'm hopeful somebody will find my program useful for themselves. Also I will be glad to any feedback and suggestions.

Looks really nice! Good job! :)

But when I switch between the tabs, system fonts will be loaded everytime to the list. Not cached?

UEZ

Edited by UEZ

Please don't send me any personal message and ask for support! I will not reply!

Selection of finest graphical examples at Codepen.io

The own fart smells best!
Her 'sikim hıyar' diyene bir avuç tuz alıp koşma!
¯\_(ツ)_/¯  ٩(●̮̮̃•̃)۶ ٩(-̮̮̃-̃)۶ૐ

But when I switch between the tabs, system fonts will be loaded everytime to the list. Not cached?

I specifically did it, that would not have to manually update the window each time when some other program will install its own font. ... but in principle can be cached.

By the way, forgot to write about the hot keys.

F5 - Update window

Enter - View selected font in a single window

Esc - Close preview window

Del - Remove selected font (for System fonts only)

Edited by Yashied

Now fonts are always cached.

Now it is faster when switching between the tabs!

Thanks.

UEZ

Please don't send me any personal message and ask for support! I will not reply!

Selection of finest graphical examples at Codepen.io

The own fart smells best!
Her 'sikim hıyar' diyene bir avuç tuz alıp koşma!
¯\_(ツ)_/¯  ٩(●̮̮̃•̃)۶ ٩(-̮̮̃-̃)۶ૐ

Another excellent piece of work! Any chance that you could add the ability to filter the fonts. For example, sometimes I'm looking for a script font so I'd like to see only those that contain the word "script". Anyways, 5* from me for a really professional looking script.

WBD

• 4 weeks later...

Very good done Yashied! I definitely missed this topic before.

I use The Font Thing for managing fonts, but nice to see tool with almost the same fuctionality done in pure Autoit.

Btw, mentioned program have very useful function - loading fonts instead installing, so fonts can be used in programs, but gone after system restart. This keep Fonts folder clean, when you use fonts only once. I think this would be good addition.

Very good done Yashied! I definitely missed this topic before.

I use The Font Thing for managing fonts, but nice to see tool with almost the same fuctionality done in pure Autoit.

Btw, mentioned program have very useful function - loading fonts instead installing, so fonts can be used in programs, but gone after system restart. This keep Fonts folder clean, when you use fonts only once. I think this would be good addition.

Thanks Lazycat.

The function, which are you talking about already exists: Install - Temporary.

Edited by Yashied

• 2 months later...