Backup Outlook registry Settings

Doppio

Hi, I'm using the following code to backup the current user Outlook registry settings

runwait(@comspec & " /c " & 'REGEDIT /E ' & 'H:\Outlook.reg "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows Messaging Subsystem\Profiles\"', "" ,@SW_HIDE)

My question is; if more than 2 people use Outlook under different accounts, how can I backup their Outlook registry settings, without login into each user account?

Thank you.

Hi, I'm using the following code to backup the current user Outlook registry settings

runwait(@comspec & " /c " & 'REGEDIT /E ' & 'H:\Outlook.reg "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows Messaging Subsystem\Profiles\"', "" ,@SW_HIDE)

My question is; if more than 2 people use Outlook under different accounts, how can I backup their Outlook registry settings, without login into each user account?

Thank you.

Hi, I think the best way is the startup folder for everyone. If you build a quary that check fist the current settings and run the script if it has to be change. Edited by rudika

[font="Comic Sans Ms"][center]Powered by AutoIt3http://www.wik-eric.de/zips/Synchro2.2.2-4free.zip[/center][/font]

• Moderators

It been a quiet morning so I thought I'd whip this up for you:

#include <RegCount.au3>
#include <Array.au3>

Dim $Key = "HKEY_Users"
Dim $TotalKeys = _RegKeyCount ($Key)
Dim $List[$TotalKeys]

For $i = 1 To $TotalKeys
    $var = RegEnumKey($Key, $i)
    If @error <> 0 Then ExitLoop
    $List[$i - 1] = RegRead($Key & "\" & $var & "\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows Messaging Subsystem\Profiles", "DefaultProfile")
    If $List[$i - 1] = "" Then ContinueLoop
    RunWait(@ComSpec & " /c " & 'REGEDIT /E ' & 'H:\Outlook_' & $var & '.reg ' & '"' & $Key & "\" & $var & '\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows Messaging Subsystem\Profiles\"', "", @SW_SHOW)
Next
Edited by big_daddy

#include <RegCount.au3>
#include <Array.au3>

Dim $Key = "HKEY_Users"
Dim $List[$TotalKeys]

For $i = 1 To $TotalKeys
    $List[$i - 1] = RegRead($Key & "\" & $var & "\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows Messaging Subsystem\Profiles", "DefaultProfile")
    RunWait(@ComSpec & " /c " & 'REGEDIT /E ' & 'H:\Outlook_' & $var & '.reg ' & '"' & $Key & "\" & $var & '\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows Messaging Subsystem\Profiles\"', "", @SW_SHOW)
Next
Great! now I'm able to retrieve all the Outlook settings from all the local users.

Just One more question if you have time..

How would I know which key belongs to which user? Is there a way to translate, or maybe have the output come out with the User's name

Outlook_Jhon.reg

Thank you for your prompt reply.

You might be able to decode some of the registry keys. Here's an example from my registry (XP Pro with Outlook 2003)

$bin = RegRead("HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows Messaging Subsystem\Profiles\Outlook\9375CFF0413111d3B88A00104B2A6676\00000002", "Account Name")

; In my case, $bin is
; 4D006900630072006F0073006F00660074002000450078006300680061006E00670065002000530065007200760065007200

MsgBox(4096,"Example", reghex2txt($bin))
Exit

Func reghex2txt($input)
    Local $result = "", $char = ""
    For $i = 1 to StringLen($input) Step 2
        $char = StringMid($input, $i, 2)
        If $char <> "00" Then $result = $result & Chr( Dec(($char)) )
    Next
    Return $result
EndFunc

Edit: The message box prints "Microsoft Exchange Server" in my case.

Edited by CyberSlug
Use Mozilla | Take a look at My Disorganized AutoIt stuff | Very very old: AutoBuilder 11 Jan 2005 prototype I need to update my sig!

• Moderators

Great! now I'm able to retrieve all the Outlook settings from all the local users.

Just One more question if you have time..

How would I know which key belongs to which user? Is there a way to translate, or maybe have the output come out with the User's name

Outlook_Jhon.reg

Thank you for your prompt reply.

Yeah that shouldn't be too hard give me a few minutes.

• Moderators

Well it ended up being harder than I had thought, but this should work. You will need to specify what version of office they have installed for it to work correctly (see comment).

#include <RegCount.au3>
#include <Array.au3>
#include <String.au3>

Dim $Key = "HKEY_Users"
Dim $OfficeVer = "10.0"; Office 2003 = 11.0, Office XP = 10.0, Office 2000 SP3 = 9.0
Dim $List[$TotalKeys]
Dim $HexName[$TotalKeys]

For $i = 1 To $TotalKeys
    $HexName[$i - 1] = RegRead($Key & "\" & $var & "\Software\Microsoft\Office\" & $OfficeVer & "\Common\UserInfo", "UserName")
    $UserName = StringStripWS(_HexToString (StringReplace($HexName[$i - 1], "00", "")), 8)
    RunWait(@ComSpec & " /c " & 'REGEDIT /E ' & 'H:\Outlook_' & $UserName & '.reg ' & '"' & $Key & "\" & $var & '\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows Messaging Subsystem\Profiles\"', "", @SW_HIDE)
Next
Edited by big_daddy

#include <RegCount.au3>
#include <Array.au3>

Dim $Key = "HKEY_Users"
Dim $List[$TotalKeys]

For $i = 1 To $TotalKeys
Next

When I run your script I get the following

Outlook_S-1-5-21-1454471165-602162358-725345543-1005.reg

Outlook_S-1-5-21-1454471165-602162358-725345543-1012.reg

Each key belongs to the two users that log on the PC, which is great.

On your Second reply I get the Key with the Registered Microsoft Username, not the Windows Username.

Outlook_Walter.reg

What I wanted to know is which Key belongs to which User?

The two users are Tom, and Jack

• Moderators

Well if someone can convert this script it will change the SID to the Username

FetchUserName: This function is used to get the object name and the domain name, provided the SID and the system name is available. In case the system name is not available, it will be assumed that the SID on the local machine is to be obtained. The system name can be a domain wide name and could be in the format Domainname\SystemName.

FetchUserName(LPTSTR strtext,LPTSTR lpSystemName,
              LPTSTR *lpUserName, LPTSTR *lpDomainName){

Sid = GetBinarySid(strtext); //convert stringSID to SID structure
 RetBln = LookupAccountSid(lpSystemName,
                            Sid,
                            *lpUserName,
                            &usernameLength,
                            *lpDomainName,
                            &domainnameLength,
        &snu); 
        //function used to get the name 
        //of the object given the SID structure is given

}

You could use this command line tool to convert them. Maybe someone else can tell you how to pull the returned username from the cmd window.

SidToName

I got this from Danny35d. Can you help me put everything toogether?

#include <GUIConstants.au3>
#include <GuiCombo.au3>

Dim $SID

$SID = _UserSID(); Create an array with all username from the local machine
;$SID = _UserSID(@UserName); Create an array with only the specific username from the local machine
;$SID = _UserSID('', @ComputerName); Create an array with all username from the remote machine
;$SID = _UserSID(@UserName, @ComputerName); Create an array with only the specific username from the remote machine

; == GUI generated with Koda ==
$Form1 = GUICreate("AForm1", 622, 441, 192, 125)
$Label1 = GUICtrlCreateLabel('Select User', 208, 160)
$Combo1 = GUICtrlCreateCombo("", 208, 176, 153, 21)
$Button1 = GUICtrlCreateButton('Find SID', 250, 200) 

;Adding username to combobox
For $x = 1 To $SID[0][0]
    _GUICtrlComboAddString($Combo1, $SID[0][$x])
Next

GUISetState(@SW_SHOW)
While 1
    $msg = GUIGetMsg()
    Select
        Case $msg = $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
            ExitLoop
        Case $msg = $Button1;Searching for the SID
            For $x = 1 To $SID[0][0]
                $User = GUICtrlRead($Combo1)
                If $User == $SID[0][$x] Then
                    MsgBox(0, 'SID', 'User SID is' & @CRLF & @CRLF & $SID[1][$x])
                    ExitLoop
                EndIf
            Next
        Case Else
       ;;;;;;;
    EndSelect
WEnd
Exit

;===============================================================================
; Function Name: _UserSID()
;
; Description: Return a 2 dimensional array first username second SID.
;
; Syntax: _UserSID ( [$s_UserName, $s_RemoteComputer] )
;
; Parameter(s): $s_UserName = Username to get SID.
; $s_RemoteComputer = ComputerName on the network
;
; Requirement(s): External: = None.
; Internal: = None.
;
; Return Value(s): On Success: = Returns 2 dimensional array with UserName, SID and sets @error to 0.
; On Failure: = Returns "" and sets @error to 1.
;
; Author(s): Dan Colón
;
; Note(s):
;
; Example(s):
; _UserSID("DColon") it will return DColon SID
; _UserSID() it will return every user SID
;===============================================================================

Func _UserSID($s_UserName = "All", $s_RemoteComputer = '')
    If $s_UserName = '' Then $s_UserName = 'All'
    If $s_RemoteComputer <> '' Then
        If StringMid($s_RemoteComputer, 1, 1) <> '\' Or StringMid($s_RemoteComputer, 2, 1) <> '\' Or StringRight($s_RemoteComputer, 1) <> '\' Then
            $s_RemoteComputer = '\\' & StringReplace($s_RemoteComputer, '\', '') & '\'
        EndIf
    EndIf

Local $line, $var, $ProfilePath, $i = 1
    Local Const $regkey = $s_RemoteComputer & "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\"
    Local Const $regkeyval1 = "ProfilesDirectory"
    Local Const $regkeyval2 = "ProfileImagePath"

$ProfilePath = RegRead($regkey, $regkeyval1)
    While 1
        $line = RegEnumKey($regkey, $i)
        $var = RegRead($regkey & $line, $regkeyval2)
        If @error = 1 Or @error = -1 Then ExitLoop
        If $s_UserName == "All" Then
            If Not IsDeclared("aArray") Then Dim $aArray[1][1]
            ReDim $aArray[UBound($aArray) + 1][UBound($aArray) + 1]
            $aArray[0][UBound($aArray) - 1] = StringMid($var, StringInStr($var, '\', 0, -1) + 1)
            $aArray[1][UBound($aArray) - 1] = $line
            $aArray[0][0] = UBound($aArray) - 1
        ElseIf StringLower($var) == StringLower($ProfilePath & "\" & $s_UserName) Then
            If Not IsDeclared("aArray") Then Dim $aArray[1][1]
            ReDim $aArray[UBound($aArray) + 1][UBound($aArray) + 1]
            $aArray[0][UBound($aArray) - 1] = StringMid($var, StringInStr($var, '\', 0, -1) + 1)
            $aArray[1][UBound($aArray) - 1] = $line
            $aArray[0][0] = UBound($aArray) - 1
        EndIf
        $i = $i + 1
    WEnd
    If Not IsDeclared("aArray") Then
        SetError(1)
        Return ("")
    Else
        SetError(0)
        Return ($aArray)
    EndIf
EndFunc ;==>_UserSID

• Moderators

I'm at home so I can't test it, but I think this will work.

#include <RegCount.au3>
#include <Array.au3>
#include <String.au3>

Dim $Key = "HKEY_Users"
Dim $List[$TotalKeys]
Dim $ProfilePath[$TotalKeys]

For $i = 1 To $TotalKeys
    $ProfilePath[$i - 1] = RegRead('HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\' & $var, "ProfileImagePath")
    $UserName = StringMid($ProfilePath[$i - 1], StringInStr($ProfilePath[$i - 1], '\', 0, -1) + 1)
    RunWait(@ComSpec & " /c " & 'REGEDIT /E ' & '"H:\Outlook_' & $UserName & '.reg" ' & '"' & $Key & "\" & $var & '\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows Messaging Subsystem\Profiles\"', "", @SW_HIDE)
Next

I'm at home so I can't test it, but I think this will work.

#include <RegCount.au3>
#include <Array.au3>
#include <String.au3>

Dim $Key = "HKEY_Users"
Dim $List[$TotalKeys]
Dim $ProfilePath[$TotalKeys]

For $i = 1 To $TotalKeys
    $ProfilePath[$i - 1] = RegRead('HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\' & $var, "ProfileImagePath")
    $UserName = StringMid($ProfilePath[$i - 1], StringInStr($ProfilePath[$i - 1], '\', 0, -1) + 1)
    RunWait(@ComSpec & " /c " & 'REGEDIT /E ' & '"H:\Outlook_' & $UserName & '.reg" ' & '"' & $Key & "\" & $var & '\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows Messaging Subsystem\Profiles\"', "", @SW_HIDE)
Next

Great Job! This forum rocks. I like the way programmers like you help us the new guys with any type of question.

Thank you.

Here's my little script to backup outlook profiles. Thanks to Danny35d for his help in getting the User's SID

Outlook_Backup.au3

Glad I was able to help! I added a restore function to your script.

Edit: Added a silent switch for the restore.

Thank you, you red my mind, I tried backing up and restoring different test accounts and workded great, but there was one Profile that gave me the following error

Cannot Import c:\Outlook.reg Error accessing the registry

I'm running the script as a local Administrator.

Is there a limitation on the size of the Reg key that you can restore?

• Moderators

Did you remove the username or was it never there? If it was never there then the file probably didn't exist, I added a FileExists() to the script posted above.

Is there a limitation on the size of the Reg key that you can restore?

No, you should be able to restore the whole registry without any problem.

Did you remove the username or was it never there? If it was never there then the file probably didn't exist, I added a FileExists() to the script posted above.

No, you should be able to restore the whole registry without any problem.

I created 3 different Usernames, logedin and configured Outlook with different settings for each user (Calendar, Contacts, etc..) then I loged in as the local Administrator, backed up each user's Outlook.reg key. I restored User#1, User#2, but on User#3 It failed with the previous error.

Any Ideas?

• Moderators

I created 3 different Usernames, logedin and configured Outlook with different settings for each user (Calendar, Contacts, etc..) then I loged in as the local Administrator, backed up each user's Outlook.reg key. I restored User#1, User#2, but on User#3 It failed with the previous error.

Any Ideas?

That's why I asked if the filename was just "Outlook.reg". Go to your c drive and check the filenames, you should have:

Outlook_User#1.reg, Outlook_User#2.reg, Outlook_User#3.reg

If one of them is just Outlook.reg or there is one missing then something went wrong with the backup. Let me know what you find.

p.s. download this file again to make sure you have the one with the FileExists()

Outlook_Backup.au3