Computer Info UDF's

When I first visit a new client, I take inventory of their machines, what is on them, stats, and other useful information. Up till now I would either write the information down, or just try to remember it myself. Then I decided why not write a script that would allow me to gather all this useful information, and put it in a format that I can understand and possibly print. I created that program (its even listed in this thread).

I then expounded on my ideas, and have created this great Computer Information Library. Feel free to use it as you see fit, but please credit when you use one of my functions.

Keywords: CompInfo, CompInfo.au3, Library, Computer, Computers, Info, Information, WMI, Windows Management Instrumentation

Requires: AutoIt v3.2 + or AutoIt Beta v3.2.1.2+

Software UDFs

_ComputerGetStartup

_ComputerGetSoftware

_ComputerGetUsers

_ComputerGetGroups

_ComputerGetServices

_ComputerGetThreads

_ComputerGetProcesses

_ComputerGetOSs

_ComputerGetShares

_ComputerGetEventLogs

_ComputerGetBootConfig

_ComputerGetExtensions

_ComputerGetDesktops

_ComputerGetDependentServices

_ComputerGetPrintJobs

_ComputerGetLoggedOnUsers

Hardware UDFs

_ComputerGetDrives

_ComputerGetPrinters

_ComputerGetProcessors

_ComputerGetBIOS

_ComputerGetSoundCards

_ComputerGetVideoCards

_ComputerGetKeyboard

_ComputerGetMouse

_ComputerGetSystemProduct

_ComputerGetNetworkCards

_ComputerGetSystem

_ComputerGetMonitors

_ComputerGetMotherboard

_ComputerGetBattery

_ComputerGetMemory

I have finally created an include file with the above listed UDF's. I will be continually adding to this file.

Include File:

CompInfo.au3 | 1671 Previous Downloads (Total)

Example File:

CompInfoExamples.au3 | 929 Previous Downloads (Total)

I have listed special thanks in the include file. Please note all example code will now start with #include "CompInfo.au3".

I am working on adding error checking and standardizing the code. (Note: I haven't spent much time doing this as of late)

NerdFencer has created a set of Drive UDF's that were inspired from this code. If you need more drive information please see his thread. ?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>

Edit 01: Added _ComputerGetPrinters

Edit 02: Added _ComputerGetCPUs

Edit 03: Changed _DriveGetInfo to _ComputerGetDrives

Edit 04: Updated _ComputerGetDrives with documentation and error checking.

Edit 05: Fixed _ComputerGetUsers @ComputerName wasnt being used properly.

Edit 06: Added _ComputerGetGroups

Edit 07: Updated _ComputerGet Printers/Groups with documentation and error checking.

Edit 08: Changed _ComputerGetUsers to include more information. Updated _ComputerGetUsers with documentation and error checking.

Edit 09: Changed _ComputerGetStartup to include more information. Updated _ComputerGetStartup with documentation and error checking.

Edit 10: Added _ComputerGetServices

Edit 11: Added to the top of the post about requiring AutoIt's Beta version.

Edit 12: Added _ComputerGetBIOS

Edit 13: Added _ComputerGetThreads

Edit 14: Changed _ComputerGetCPUs to _ComputerGetProcessors and included more information.

Edit 15: Added _ComputerGetProcesses

Edit 16: Changed _ComputerGetPrinters to include more information and documentation.

Edit 17: Added an Example file containing all 11 current UDF's in one simple file.

Edit 18: Added _ComputerGetOSs, _ComputerGetShares, _ComputerGetEventLogs

Edit 19: Added to the top about no longer requiring a Beta version to work correctly. Requires v3.2 +

Edit 20: Added _ComputerGetSoundCards, _ComputerGetVideoCards Updated _ComputerGetGroups (moved "Description" to element 4 to match the rest of the library). Updated Processes, OSs, Processors, Services, Software, Threads, Printers, BIOS, and EventLogs to have the same header layout. Alphabetized CompInfo.au3 and CompInfoExamples.au3

Edit 21: Updated _ComputerGetOSs (Bug Fix) in CompInfoExamples.au3 (Thanks Koala)

Edit 22: Added _ComputerGetKeyboard, _ComputerGetMouse

Edit 23: Added _ComputerGetSystemProduct, _ComputerGetBootConfig Updated Spelling errors and misc items in CompInfoExamples.au3

Edit 24: Added _ComputerGetNetworkCards

Edit 25: Added _ComputerGetExtensions, and _ComputerGetSystem

Edit 26: Added _ComputerGetDesktops, _ComputerGetDependentServices, _ComputerGetPrintJobs, _ComputerGetBattery, _ComputerGetMotherboard, and _ComputerGetMonitor

Edit 27: Added _ComputerGetMemory, and _ComputerGetLoggedOnUsers

Edit 28: Updated CompInfo Version Information Error

Edit 29: Linked ?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>

Thanks,

JS

Edited by JSThePatriot

AutoIt Links

File-String Hash Plugin Updated! 04-02-2008 Plugins have been discontinued. I just found out.

ComputerGetInfo UDF's Updated! 11-23-2006

External Links

Vortex Revolutions Engineer / Inventor (Web, Desktop, and Mobile Applications, Hardware Gizmos, Consulting, and more)

I like this idea alot. It seems like you could have quite a few additional components. What about:

_ComputerGetGroups

_ComputerGetEventLog

_ComputerGetMem

_ComuterGetCPU

Those are just a few that I have seen from others.

-Great start though. :D

I like this idea alot. It seems like you could have quite a few additional components. What about:

_ComputerGetGroups

_ComputerGetEventLog

_ComputerGetMem

_ComuterGetCPU

Those are just a few that I have seen from others.

-Great start though. :D

Thank you for the ideas... The _ComputerGetMem is already done in MemGetStats(). I could however make a wrapper that returned MB's or GB's based on size and what not.

Again thanks for the additional ideas. I will add them shortly.

Edit: Spelling.

JS

Edited by JSThePatriot

AutoIt Links

File-String Hash Plugin Updated! 04-02-2008 Plugins have been discontinued. I just found out.

External Links

Vortex Revolutions Engineer / Inventor (Web, Desktop, and Mobile Applications, Hardware Gizmos, Consulting, and more)

Check first post, but I added _ComputerGetPrinters.

Will be working on more additions shortly. I recieved the CPU info for a single processor, in my compInfo.au3 script that I made these UDF's for, but I am going to standardize it and allow for multiple processors. (I have one at home :D).

I am working to standardize, and add headers to the UDF's for submission to the Standard UDF Library.

Thanks for your continued support.

JS

AutoIt Links

External Links

Added _ComputerGetCPUs. I am unable to test _ComputerGetCPUs on a multi processor machine until I am able to get home. If someone can test to be sure that this works on multi processor machine I would be much obliged, I will let you know when I can test it on my home machine (must have virii removed first...roomates).

Should _DriveGetInfo be renamed to _ComputerGetDrives? I think that would line up more on the _ComputerGet*Info* standardization that I have been following.

Thanks,

JS

AutoIt Links

External Links

Added _ComputerGetCPUs. I am unable to test _ComputerGetCPUs on a multi processor machine until I am able to get home. If someone can test to be sure that this works on multi processor machine I would be much obliged, I will let you know when I can test it on my home machine (must have virii removed first...roomates).

Should _DriveGetInfo be renamed to _ComputerGetDrives? I think that would line up more on the _ComputerGet*Info* standardization that I have been following.

Thanks,

JS

I would say yes to the standard naming. Ill see if I can test it on a multi cpu system. I wonder how it works with a hyperthreaded cpu?

I would say yes to the standard naming. Ill see if I can test it on a multi cpu system. I wonder how it works with a hyperthreaded cpu?

I wouldnt know, but certainly let me know if you have one that it could be tested on.

My test.au3 file.

Dim $CPUs

_ComputerGetCPUs($CPUs)

For $i = 1 To $CPUs[0][0] Step 1
    MsgBox(0, "Test $CPUs[$i][1-4]", "Speed: " & $CPUs[$i][1] & @CRLF & "Name: " & $CPUs[$i][2] & @CRLF & "ID: " & $CPUs[$i][3] & @CRLF & "VendorID: " & $CPUs[$i][4] & @CRLF & "Architecture: " & $CPUs[$i][5])
Next

Func _ComputerGetCPUs(ByRef $aCPUInfo)
    Local $HKLMCentralProc = "HKLM\HARDWARE\DESCRIPTION\System\CentralProcessor"
    Local $CentralProcKey
    Dim $aCPUInfo[1][6], $i = 1

While 1
        $CentralProcKey = RegEnumKey($HKLMCentralProc, $i)
        If @error <> 0 Then ExitLoop
        ReDim $aCPUInfo[UBound($aCPUInfo) + 1][6]
        $aCPUInfo[$i][1] = RegRead($HKLMCentralProc & "\" & $CentralProcKey, "~MHz") / 1000
        $aCPUInfo[$i][2] = StringStripWS(RegRead($HKLMCentralProc & "\" & $CentralProcKey, "ProcessorNameString"), 1)
        $aCPUInfo[$i][3] = RegRead($HKLMCentralProc & "\" & $CentralProcKey, "Identifier")
        $aCPUInfo[$i][4] = RegRead($HKLMCentralProc & "\" & $CentralProcKey, "VendorIdentifier")
        $aCPUInfo[$i][5] = @ProcessorArch
        $i += 1
    WEnd

$aCPUInfo[0][0] = UBound($aCPUInfo, 1) - 1
EndFunc

I hope that helps you in your testing. It is faster than typing it out yourself.

JS

AutoIt Links

External Links

Would anyone be interested in a _ComputerGetMem and/or _ComputerGetProcesses?

The reason I ask is they are already returned in a full and complete array by MemGetStats, and ProcessList respectively.

Please give me your opinions on it.

@Reaper HGN

I am unsure how I should go about coding the _ComputerGetEventLog. I dont know where the data is stored. :-/

I have looked on MSDN, and they have C++ examples of how to get the EventLog information, but I am unable to find many more resources on how to obtain that information. I may be looking in the wrong places or searching with the wrong terms.

Any pointers in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

JS

AutoIt Links

External Links

I added a header and error checkin to _ComputerGetDrives. Please let me know if this is too much in your opinion and why, or if there is a better way to do that.

Thanks,

JS

AutoIt Links

External Links

I took your test code and ran it on a system with 2 HT cpus. I get the image you see below. Note that the processor info message box comes up 4 times (once for each processor). The HT processors count as two processors.

Awesome glad to know it's working. I need to add some error checking for processors that are under GHz range.

Thank you very much for that information.

JS

AutoIt Links

External Links

@JSThePatriot,

do you have a zip with the library and any changes you have made?

I actually have all the changes reflected in the first post, and my only file is a single compInfo.au3 file that I have been using to collect data at work and for realtime testing.

compInfo.au3

Please note that I wont be updating this attachment. All updates will be reflected in the first post for ease. I may include this script in the top post once I have it completely done.

Thanks,

JS

AutoIt Links

External Links

Would anyone be interested in a _ComputerGetMem and/or _ComputerGetProcesses?

The reason I ask is they are already returned in a full and complete array by MemGetStats, and ProcessList respectively.

Please give me your opinions on it.

@Reaper HGN

I am unsure how I should go about coding the _ComputerGetEventLog. I dont know where the data is stored. :-/

I have looked on MSDN, and they have C++ examples of how to get the EventLog information, but I am unable to find many more resources on how to obtain that information. I may be looking in the wrong places or searching with the wrong terms.

Any pointers in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

JS

I have looked around and didnt find anything difinitive. However, I did find some reference to a method in advapi32 called GetEventLogInformation. There is also an eventlog.dll that may have something in it. Using dllcall, we may be able to piggyback on one of those DLLs.

I have looked around and didnt find anything difinitive. However, I did find some reference to a method in advapi32 called GetEventLogInformation. There is also an eventlog.dll that may have something in it. Using dllcall, we may be able to piggyback on one of those DLLs.

Before I piggy on a DLL I think I would write a plugin since msdn does have the needed C++ code for it all, and then I would know which functions are available and what not.

I would prefer at this time for these UDF's to be completely based on AutoIt. Maybe a plugin in the future would be a great addition to be able to do all the tasks at a possible "faster" rate of speed due to the plugin architecture.

Thanks for the info.

What do you think about the _ComputerGetMem and _ComputerGetProcesses

Thanks again for everything,

JS

AutoIt Links

External Links

Before I piggy on a DLL I think I would write a plugin since msdn does have the needed C++ code for it all, and then I would know which functions are available and what not.

I would prefer at this time for these UDF's to be completely based on AutoIt. Maybe a plugin in the future would be a great addition to be able to do all the tasks at a possible "faster" rate of speed due to the plugin architecture.

Thanks for the info.

What do you think about the _ComputerGetMem and _ComputerGetProcesses

Thanks again for everything,

JS

I understand the "all AutoIT" thing. I personally dont know how to program plugins, so sticking with native AutoIT seems entirely reasonable. I havent messed with the other functions yet. Ill give that a try and let you know.

I understand the "all AutoIT" thing. I personally dont know how to program plugins, so sticking with native AutoIT seems entirely reasonable. I havent messed with the other functions yet. Ill give that a try and let you know.

I appreciate your on going support. I have created a plugin in the past, and am working on adding to it at the moment so creating another wouldnt be too hard.

Again I appreciate it all.

JS

AutoIt Links

External Links

I can't get the first UDF to work, can you give me an example?

[left][sub]We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine.[/sub][sup]And the machine is bleeding to death...[/sup][sup][/sup][/left]

Let me know if the below helps at all.

Dim $Drives

_ComputerGetDrives($Drives) ;Defaults to "FIXED"
If @error Then
    $error = @error
    $extended = @extended
    Switch $extended
        Case 1
            _ErrorMsg("DriveGetDrive Error!")
        Case 2
            _ErrorMsg("DriveGetFileSystem Error!")
        Case 3
            _ErrorMsg("DriveGetLabel Error!")
        Case 4
            _ErrorMsg("DriveGetSerial Error!")
        Case 5
            _ErrorMsg("DriveSpaceFree Error!")
        Case 6
            _ErrorMsg("DriveSpaceTotal Error!")
    EndSwitch
EndIf

For $i = 1 To $Drives[0][0] Step 1
    MsgBox(0, "Drive: " & $Drives[$i][0], "FileSystem: " & $Drives[$i][1] & @CRLF & "Label: " & $Drives[$i][2] & @CRLF & "Serial #: " & $Drives[$i][3] & @CRLF & "Free Space: " & Round($Drives[$i][4] / 1024, 2) & "GB" & @CRLF & "Total Space: " & Round($Drives[$i][5] / 1024, 2) & "GB")
Next

Func _ErrorMsg($message, $time = 0)
    MsgBox(48 + 262144, "Error!", $message, $time)
EndFunc

;===============================================================================
; Description:      Returns the drive information based on $sDriveType in a two
;                   dimensional array. First dimension is the index for each set
;                   of drive information.
; Parameter(s):     $aDriveInfo - By Ref - Drive information in an array.
;                   $sDriveType -   Type of drive to return the information on.
;                                   Options: "ALL", "CDROM", "REMOVABLE", "FIXED",
;                                   "NETWORK", "RAMDISK", or "UNKNOWN"
;                                   Defaults to "FIXED" drives.
; Requirement(s):   None
; Return Value(s):  On Success - Returns array of drive information.
;                       $aDriveInfo[0][0] = Number of Drives
;                       The second dimension is as follows: ($i starts at 1)
;                           [$i][0] - Drive Letter (ex. C:\)
;                           [$i][1] - File System
;                           [$i][2] - Label
;                           [$i][3] - Serial Number
;                           [$i][4] - Free Space
;                           [$i][5] - Total Space
;                   On Failure - Return 0 - SetError - 1
;                               SetExtended: 1 = DriveGetDrive      Error
;                                            2 = DriveGetFileSystem Error
;                                            3 = DriveGetLabel      Error
;                                            4 = DriveGetSerial     Error
;                                            5 = DriveSpaceFree     Error
;                                            6 = DriveSpaceTotal    Error
; Author(s):        Jarvis Stubblefield (support "at" vortexrevolutions "dot" com)
; Note(s):
;
;===============================================================================
Func _ComputerGetDrives(ByRef $aDriveInfo, $sDriveType = "FIXED")
    Local $drive
    $drive = DriveGetDrive($sDriveType)
    If NOT @error Then
        Dim $aDriveInfo[UBound($drive)][6]
        $aDriveInfo[0][0] = $drive[0]
        For $i = 1 To $aDriveInfo[0][0] Step 1
            $aDriveInfo[$i][0] = StringUpper($drive[$i] & "\")
            $aDriveInfo[$i][1] = DriveGetFileSystem($drive[$i])
            If @error Then SetError(1, 2, 0)
            $aDriveInfo[$i][2] = DriveGetLabel($drive[$i])
            If @error Then SetError(1, 3, 0)
            $aDriveInfo[$i][3] = DriveGetSerial($drive[$i])
            If @error Then SetError(1, 4, 0)
            $aDriveInfo[$i][4] = DriveSpaceFree($drive[$i])
            If @error Then SetError(1, 5, 0)
            $aDriveInfo[$i][5] = DriveSpaceTotal($drive[$i])
            If @error Then SetError(1, 6, 0)
        Next
    Else
        SetError(1, 1, 0)
    EndIf
EndFunc

I hope the above helps you to be able to use my UDF's. I do appreciate your post and will assist you in any way I can.

Thanks again,

JS

AutoIt Links

External Links

Works great, and can I incorporate these UDF's into my computer details program? V3 is still under construction.

got this on _computergetusers()

C:\AutoIt3\comp_UDF_TEST.au3 (96) : ==> Variable used without being declared.: 
Local $objDomain = ObjGet("WinNT://" & $cI_Compname & "" ) 
Local $objDomain = ObjGet("WinNT://" & ^ ERROR

_ComputerGetUsers($Usernames)
For $i = 1 To $Usernames[0][0] Step 1
    MsgBox(0, "Drive: " & $Usernames[$i][0], "FileSystem: " & $Usernames[$i][1] & @CRLF & "Label: " & $Usernames[$i][2] & @CRLF & "Serial #: " & $Usernames[$i][3] & @CRLF & "Free Space: " & Round($Usernames[$i][4] / 1024, 2) & "GB" & @CRLF & "Total Space: " & Round($Usernames[$i][5] / 1024, 2) & "GB")
Next

Func _ComputerGetUsers(ByRef $Usernames)
    Dim $Usernames[1]
    Local $i = 1
    $oMyError = ObjEvent("AutoIt.Error", "ComError")
    Local $objDomain = ObjGet("WinNT://" & $cI_Compname & "" )
    Dim $filter[2] = ["user"]
    $objDomain.Filter = $filter
    For $aUser In $objDomain
        ReDim $Usernames[UBound($Usernames) + 1]
        $Usernames[$i] = $aUSer.Name
        $i += 1
    Next

$Usernames[0] = UBound($Usernames) - 1
EndFunc

Should that work? (Yes i am using beta)

Edited by Firestorm

[left][sub]We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine.[/sub][sup]And the machine is bleeding to death...[/sup][sup][/sup][/left]