Software Installation Using AutoIT

Hi everyone reading these forums..

here goes..

I have written a template for software installation + application to install these packages to the localhost or a remote computer.

this uses silent installation method for applications.. 80 % of all applications you will ever come across you can install automatic and remote

using this tool.. if you allready have an MSI, great... if you dont you can try installshield installers (setup.exe) these can record every option

you configure during installation (setup -r), if that doesnt work theres allways the autoIT au3 recorder...this will solve up to around 99.9 % of all application

installations.

I used only autoIT to Accomplish every task

heres a list of features I came up with..

Application Installation Template:

- Command line parameters can be passed to script. (/Install or /Uninstall)

- verify if application is installed, and mail results to adress of choice..

- Logging on the computer..(this I can do alot better, but its allready functional)

- Errorhandling example from the helpfiles..

Application installer:

- read dropdown list items from config.ini file

- possibility to install the applications local or remote

- to install remote you can use the current logged on users' credentials, or you can specify another user in the config file

( if you enable the advanced section in the ini file.. once you do, you'll get a password prompt so sensitive info is not stored in plain text..)

- to install remotely I use ONLY WMI code..

Hope this helps others getting up and running with AutoIT..

kind regards,

LOTS...

LOTS_ApplicationInstaller.zip

Edited by lordofthestrings

for applications you'll need to edit the template

here's two examples (that were supposed to come with the package but I forgot..)

; ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

$File = "\\mmmstn001\#######$\My Pictures\logo.GIF"

$MailTo = 'BLAAT@MAILINATOR.COM'

$MailSubject = 'Results on' & @ComputerName & ' // installation by: ' & @UserName

$InstallString = @SystemDir & "msiexec.exe /I " & @ScriptDir & '\Install' & "\python.msi"

$UninstallString = "msiexec /QB /X{0A2C5854-557E-48C8-835A-3B9F074BDCAA}"

$Application = 'C:\Python25'

$AppName = "python-2.5"

$Gui_Title = ""

; ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

you will have to download python from their website for this one to work..

another one would be a bit different (my second testcase for this template)

acrobat reader 8.0

download it, run it but do not click next on the welcome screen.

once you see this window, you will need to open explorer and browse to your %TMP% folder

there you will see an acrobat folder with in it the extracted acroreader.msi

this folder will be your source, (not the one executable, if you find an MSI its better..

heres the template code for acrobat reader

$File = "\\mmmstn001\#####$\My Pictures\logo.GIF"

$Application = 'C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\'

$AppName = "AcrobatReader8"

$Gui_Title = ""

$MailTo = 'BLAAT@MAILINATOR.COM'

$MailSubject = 'Results on' & @ComputerName & ' // installation by: ' & @UserName

$InstallString = 'msiexec /QB /I AcroRead.msi'

$UninstallString = "msiexec /QB /X{AC76BA86-7AD7-1033-7B44-A80000000002}"

with these 2 examples you should be able to get it to work, and future applications shouldnt be too hard either..

this is still in development fase, but it allready works (I hope,...)

heres the adjusted code that should take care of your error...

(I added the new code to the attachement in the first post)

I hope you get it to work

#include <INet.au3>
#Include <Date.au3>
#include <Constants.au3>
#include <GuiConstants.au3>
$oMyError = ObjEvent("AutoIt.Error","ErrHandler")
if NOT $CMDLINE[0] = 0 Then
    if $CMDLINE[1] = '/Install' or $CMDLINE[1] = '/I' or $CMDLINE[1] = '/s' Then
        $installing = "currently installing:"
    Else
        $installing = "currently removing:"
    endIf
Else
    $installing = ''
EndIf
$Key = "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\windows\currentversion\Policies\System"
$Log_Str_File = "c:\application\log\" & $AppName & '.txt'
$Log_Reinst_Str_File = "c:\application\Reinstall-PC\" & $AppName & '.txt'

#region #@#@# Form Designed with Koda Form Designer, but changed the hardcoded entries to variables
GuiCreate($Gui_Title, 418, 97, 565, 614, BitOR($WS_CAPTION,$WS_BORDER,$WS_CLIPSIBLINGS), BitOR($WS_EX_TOPMOST,$WS_EX_WINDOWEDGE))
$Picture = GUICtrlCreatePic($File, 224, 8, 180, 68, BitOR($SS_NOTIFY,$WS_GROUP))
$LogoPane = GUICtrlCreateGroup("", 216, 0, 193, 81)
GUICtrlCreateGroup("", -99, -99, 1, 1)
$Text1 = GUICtrlCreateLabel($installing, 16, 24, 111, 19)
GUICtrlSetFont(-1, 9, 800, 0, "Times New Roman")
$Text2 = GUICtrlCreateLabel($AppName, 16, 56, 172, 27)
GUICtrlSetFont(-1, 12, 400, 4, "Arial Black")
GUICtrlSetColor(-1, 0x0000FF)
GUISetState(@SW_SHOW)
#endregion ### koda form designer is quick and easy; run koda --> design form --> run form --> get the code..
GuiSetState()
    $msg = GuiGetMsg()
    Select
        Case $msg = $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
        Case Else
    $tmp = ""
; Here I would Insert functionality into the installation
;$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
; AdlibEnable("errorBoxes", 300)            ;run checkerrorwindows function every 300 Milliseconds.
check_Arguments()                               ; check wether to /install or /uninstall argument has been provided.
RunWait($RunThis,"",@SW_HIDE)                   ; installation or uninstallation of application.
; shutdown(6)                                   ; Force to reboot the PC
Verify_and_mail()                               ; check if application is installed + logging + Mailing.
;$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    EndSelect
MsgBox(0, "", "Installation has finished", 1)
Exit

Func check_Arguments()
if NOT $CMDLINE[0] = 0 Then
if not StringIsUpper($CMDLINE[1]) Then StringUpper($CMDLINE[1])
endIf
select 
    case $CMDLINE[0] = 0                ; case : No arguments specified
        msgbox(0, "syntax", "please provide switch:" & @CRLF & @CRLF & @TAB & _
                            "/install or /i or /s" & @CRLF & @TAB & _
                            "/Uninstall or /x or /u" , 7)
        LogMsg("No Arguments were specified for " & $AppName)
        exit(3)
    case $CMDLINE[1] = '/INSTALL' or $CMDLINE[1] = '/S' or $CMDLINE[1] = '/I' or $CMDLINE[1] = '/SILENT'
        LogMsg("Installation Switch Presented. Starting Installation of " & $AppName)
        global $RunThis = $InstallString
    case $CMDLINE[1] = "/UNINSTALL" or $CMDLINE[1] = "/U" or $CMDLINE[1] = "/X"
        LogMsg("Uninstallation Switch Presented. Starting Uninstallation of " & $AppName)
        global $RunThis = $UninstallString
    case Else
        LogMsg("*** WRONG *** Argument specified for " & $AppName)
EndSelect
EndFunc

func Verify_and_mail()
if fileexists($Application) Then
$Installed = 'INSTALLED'
Else
$Installed = 'UNINSTALLED'
EndIf
$MailBody = 'The application seems to be '& $Installed & @CRLF & 'Application: ' & $Application & 'parameters passed to script: ' & $CMDLINE[1]
LogMsg("Mail Sent : Application : " & $Application & " seems " & $Installed)
if NOT fileexists($Log_Reinst_Str_File) AND $Installed = 'INSTALLED' Then 
    reinstall_PC_Log()
Else
    FileDelete($Log_Reinst_Str_File)
EndIf
_INetMail ($MailTo, $MailSubject, $MailBody)
endFunc

Func LogMsg($LogMSG)
$LogFile = FileOpen($Log_Str_File, 9)
If $LogFile = -1 Then
    MsgBox(0, "Error", "Unable to open file.", 2)
    Exit
EndIf
FileWriteLine($LogFile, '_______________________________________________________________________')
FileWriteLine($LogFile, _Now() & " - " & @Username & "  - " & $LogMSG)
FileClose($LogFile)
EndFunc

Func reinstall_PC_Log()
$Log_Reinst_File = FileOpen($Log_Reinst_Str_File, 9)
If $Log_Reinst_File = -1 Then
    MsgBox(0, "Error", "Unable to open file.", 2)
    Exit
EndIf
FileWriteLine($Log_Reinst_File,"this file will be used to check what applications are installed when reinstalling the PC")
FileClose($Log_Reinst_File)
EndFunc

Func ErrHandler()

Msgbox(0,"Com Error","The Script intercepted a COM Error!"    & @CRLF  & @CRLF & _
             "description is: "    & @TAB & $oMyError.description    & @CRLF & _
             "windescription:"     & @TAB & $oMyError.windescription & @CRLF & _
             "number is: "         & @TAB & hex($oMyError.number,8)  & @CRLF & _
             "lastdllerror is: "   & @TAB & $oMyError.lastdllerror   & @CRLF & _
             "scriptline is: "     & @TAB & $oMyError.scriptline     & @CRLF & _
             "source is: "         & @TAB & $oMyError.source         & @CRLF & _
             "helpfile is: "       & @TAB & $oMyError.helpfile       & @CRLF & _
             "helpcontext is: "    & @TAB & $oMyError.helpcontext _
            )

Local $err = $oMyError.number
    If $err = 0 Then $err = -1

SetError($err)  ; to check for after this function returns
Endfunc

func errorBoxes()
#cs
this is a function that will be called at an interval specified in the adlibenable function.
mainly use this function to catch "unexpected" windows
examples:
    if WinExists Then do something..
    if FileExists Then something else..
    if ProcessExists Then final thing..
#ce
EndFunc
Edited by lordofthestrings

• 5 months later...

i just tryed out your remote execute code, it works on 127.0.0.1 but not on a other computer(i am domain admin)

$strComputer = "computer" 
$CommandLine = "cmd"

RemoteExecute($strComputer, $CommandLine)

func RemoteExecute($strComputer, $CommandLine)      ; Simple
$objWMIService = ObjGet("winmgmts:\\" & $strComputer & "\root\CIMV2") 
$objShare = $objWMIService.Get("Win32_Process")
$objInParam = $objShare.Methods_("Create").inParameters.SpawnInstance_()
$objInParam.Properties_.Item("CommandLine") =  $CommandLine
$objOutParams = $objWMIService.ExecMethod("Win32_Process", "Create", $objInParam)
$PID = $objOutParams.ProcessId 
$ReturnValue = $objOutParams.ReturnValue
Switch $ReturnValue
        Case 0
            msgbox(0, "RunRemote","The remote command completed successfully")
        Case 2
            msgbox(0, "RunRemote","Answer from Remote Computer: Access denied")
        Case 3
            msgbox(0, "RunRemote","Insufficient privilege to launch remote command")
        Case 8
            msgbox(0, "RunRemote","Unknown failure")
        Case 9
            msgbox(0, "RunRemote","Path not found")
        Case 21
            msgbox(0, "RunRemote","Invalid parameter passed to script: " & @CRLF & _
                        "$strComputer: " & $strComputer & @CRLF & _
                        "$CommandLine: " & $CommandLine)
        Case Else
            msgbox(0, "RunRemote","Unknown error" & @CRLF & _
                        "ResultCode: " & $ReturnValue)
    EndSwitch
EndFunc

• 1 month later...

WMI doesn't support running interactive processes. You have to use addtional software to remotely execute something that requires user intervention. It's also possible that if the remote machine is locked, some things will hang on this as well. I use PSEXEC to get around this. Let me know if you need a hand.

Spoiler

Things I've Made: Always On Top Tool ◊ AU History ◊ Deck of Cards ◊ HideIt ◊ ICU ◊ Icon Freezer ◊ Ipod Ejector ◊ Junos Configuration Explorer ◊ Link Downloader ◊ MD5 Folder Enumerator ◊ PassGen ◊ Ping Tool ◊ Quick NIC ◊ Read OCR ◊ RemoteIT ◊ SchTasksGui ◊ SpyCam ◊ System Scan Report Tool ◊ System UpTime ◊ Transparency Machine ◊ VMWare ESX Builder
Misc Code Snippets: ADODB Example ◊ CheckHover ◊ Detect SafeMode ◊ DynEnumArray ◊ GetNetStatData ◊ HashArray ◊ IsBetweenDates ◊ Local Admins ◊ Make Choice ◊ Recursive File List ◊ Remove Sizebox Style ◊ Retrieve PNPDeviceID ◊ Retreive SysListView32 Contents ◊ Set IE Homepage ◊ Tickle Expired Password ◊ Transpose Array
Projects: Drive Space Usage GUI ◊ LEDkIT ◊ Plasma_kIt ◊ Scan Engine Builder ◊ SpeeDBurner ◊ SubnetCalc
Cool Stuff: AutoItObject UDF â—Š Extract Icon From Proc â—Š GuiCtrlFontRotate â—Š Hex Edit Funcs â—Š Run binary â—Š Service_UDF

• 1 year later...

Hi there. I realize this is an old topic, but I need to set up a large amount of remote application installs and this seems to be a pretty good starting point, or would be if I could get the script to compile :)

Here are the errors and warnings I get:

C:\Documents and Settings\sysadmin\Desktop\LOTS_ApplicationInstaller\SetupApplication.au3(34,55) : ERROR: syntax error
GUICreate($Gui_Title, 418, 97, 565, 614, BitOR(Caption,
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~^
C:\Documents and Settings\sysadmin\Desktop\LOTS_ApplicationInstaller\SetupApplication.au3(34,66) : WARNING: $WS_BORDER: possibly used before declaration.
GUICreate($Gui_Title, 418, 97, 565, 614, BitOR(Caption,$WS_BORDER,
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~^
C:\Documents and Settings\sysadmin\Desktop\LOTS_ApplicationInstaller\SetupApplication.au3(34,83) : WARNING: $WS_CLIPSIBLINGS: possibly used before declaration.
GUICreate($Gui_Title, 418, 97, 565, 614, BitOR(Caption,$WS_BORDER,$WS_CLIPSIBLINGS)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~^
C:\Documents and Settings\sysadmin\Desktop\LOTS_ApplicationInstaller\SetupApplication.au3(34,103) : WARNING: $WS_CAPTION: possibly used before declaration.
GUICreate($Gui_Title, 418, 97, 565, 614, BitOR(Caption,$WS_BORDER,$WS_CLIPSIBLINGS), BitOR($WS_CAPTION,
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~^
C:\Documents and Settings\sysadmin\Desktop\LOTS_ApplicationInstaller\SetupApplication.au3(34,154) : WARNING: $WS_EX_TOPMOST: possibly used before declaration.
GUICreate($Gui_Title, 418, 97, 565, 614, BitOR(Caption,$WS_BORDER,$WS_CLIPSIBLINGS), BitOR($WS_CAPTION,$WS_BORDER,$WS_CLIPSIBLINGS), BitOR($WS_EX_TOPMOST,
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~^
C:\Documents and Settings\sysadmin\Desktop\LOTS_ApplicationInstaller\SetupApplication.au3(34,172) : WARNING: $WS_EX_WINDOWEDGE: possibly used before declaration.
GUICreate($Gui_Title, 418, 97, 565, 614, BitOR(Caption,$WS_BORDER,$WS_CLIPSIBLINGS), BitOR($WS_CAPTION,$WS_BORDER,$WS_CLIPSIBLINGS), BitOR($WS_EX_TOPMOST,$WS_EX_WINDOWEDGE)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~^
C:\Documents and Settings\sysadmin\Desktop\LOTS_ApplicationInstaller\SetupApplication.au3(35,69) : WARNING: $SS_NOTIFY: possibly used before declaration.
$Picture = GUICtrlCreatePic($File, 224, 8, 180, 68, BitOR($SS_NOTIFY,
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~^
C:\Documents and Settings\sysadmin\Desktop\LOTS_ApplicationInstaller\SetupApplication.au3(35,79) : WARNING: $WS_GROUP: possibly used before declaration.
$Picture = GUICtrlCreatePic($File, 224, 8, 180, 68, BitOR($SS_NOTIFY,$WS_GROUP)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~^
C:\Documents and Settings\sysadmin\Desktop\LOTS_ApplicationInstaller\SetupApplication.au3(55,17) : WARNING: $RunThis: possibly used before declaration.
RunWait($RunThis,
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~^
C:\Documents and Settings\sysadmin\Desktop\LOTS_ApplicationInstaller\SetupApplication.au3(34,66) : ERROR: $WS_BORDER: undeclared global variable.
GUICreate($Gui_Title, 418, 97, 565, 614, BitOR(Caption,$WS_BORDER,
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~^
C:\Documents and Settings\sysadmin\Desktop\LOTS_ApplicationInstaller\SetupApplication.au3 - 2 error(s), 8 warning(s)

Where are these variables supposed to be defined? I am missing something here? I'm new to AutoIt and haven't done much GUI work so I can't just define them myself, I don't know what the values should be.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.