Post Documentation Bugs Here

I'm trying to keep track of issues/bugs people have with the documentation, but there are a lot of posts, so I'm starting this thread B) Also, what do you think of a ref page like this?

Current To-Do List, (link)

EDIT: I'll update the list whenever I do stuff. :whistle:

Edited by CyberSlug
Use Mozilla | Take a look at My Disorganized AutoIt stuff | Very very old: AutoBuilder 11 Jan 2005 prototype I need to update my sig!

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good idea, CS .. and thanks for the opportunity :whistle:

Drawing together recent requests for tutorials, and recalling my initial exposure to Autoit (and indeed any new language) I'd like to suggest expanding a little bit more on some of the Example sections.

To illustrate, the topic for FileOpenDialog() might be enhanced with the following example:

;FileOpen dialog options
;------------------------------------------------

$sFiles=FileOpenDialog( "Choose Image(s)", @DesktopDir, "Images (*.jpg;*.bmp)", 1 + 4 )
    $ynCancel = @Error  ;preserving @error for later scrutiny

MsgBox(4096 + 64, @scriptname, "@error=" & $ynCancel & @LF & $sFiles)

if $ynCancel then
      ;User Pressed Cancel
    else

$aFiles = StringSplit($sFiles, "|")
        If $aFiles[0] = 1 then  
          ;Single selection
            $sX = $aFiles[1]
        else
          ;$aFiles[0] = count of entries incl path
          ;$aFiles[1] = path
          ;$aFiles[2] = file-1
          ;$aFiles[3] = file-2
            $sPath = $aFiles[1] & "\"
            $sX = ""
            for $nFile = 2 to $aFiles[0]
                $sX = $sX & $sPath & $aFiles[$nFile] & @LF
            next
            $sX = StringTrimRight($sX,1)
        endif

MsgBox (4096 + 64, "File(s) selected", $sX)
    endif

$aFiles = StringSplit($sX,@LF)

$sMsg = "$aFiles[0]=" & $aFiles[0] & @LF
    $sMsg = $sMsg & "$aFiles[1]=" & $aFiles[1] 
    MsgBox(4096 + 64, @scriptname, $sMsg)

Exit
Perhaps a bit overkill, but I hope this helps. Edited by trids

Drawing together recent requests for tutorials, and recalling my initial exposure to Autoit (and indeed any new language) I'd like to suggest expanding a little bit more on some of the Example sections.

I mentioned to CS that, once I get a few of these projects I have hanging out of the way, I would try and put together a new CHM file that is examples only. All arranged by category and function. That could either be distributed with AutoIt or it can be made available for download elsewhere. If it has to be made available on another site then I would probably put it on mine since I have no bandwidth limits to worry about. I just saved that code of yours to include. I might modify it slightly though. :P

Edit: I would also like to get a chance to take Larry's ***** HELP ***** files for the GUI and make some actual working examples out of them. That will probably require some input from Larry and, like is help files show, he's not heavily into documentation. :angry::evil::lmao:

:whistle:B)

Edited by GEOSoft

George

Question about decompiling code? Read the decompiling FAQ and don't bother posting the question in the forums.

Be sure to read and follow the forum rules. -AKA the AutoIt Reading and Comprehension Skills test.***

The PCRE (Regular Expression) ToolKit for AutoIT - (Updated Oct 20, 2011 ver:3.0.1.13) - Please update your current version before filing any bug reports. The installer now includes both 32 and 64 bit versions. No change in version number.

Visit my Blog .. currently not active but it will soon be resplendent with news and views. Also please remove any links you may have to my website. it is soon to be closed and replaced with something else.

"Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!"

ProcessWaitClose

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pauses script execution until a given process does not exist.

ProcessWaitClose ( "process" [, timeout])

just update it

I think that the documentation of AUT2EXE needs some updating, perhaps with valid examples. I still can't get that build script working this way.

; Script Function:
;   Build Backup
;
RunWait ('C:\Program Files\AutoIt3\Aut2Exe\Aut2Exe.exe /in Back.au3 /icon Back.ico')
RunWait ('C:\Program Files\AutoIt3\Aut2Exe\Aut2Exe.exe /in RBack.au3 /icon RBack.ico')
Exit
Im wondering if it's not supposed to be

; Script Function:
;   Build Backup
;
RunWait ('C:\Program Files\AutoIt3\Aut2Exe\Aut2Exe.exe /Back.au3 /Back.ico')
RunWait ('C:\Program Files\AutoIt3\Aut2Exe\Aut2Exe.exe /RBack.au3 /RBack.ico')
Exit

George

Question about decompiling code? Read the decompiling FAQ and don't bother posting the question in the forums.

Be sure to read and follow the forum rules. -AKA the AutoIt Reading and Comprehension Skills test.***

The PCRE (Regular Expression) ToolKit for AutoIT - (Updated Oct 20, 2011 ver:3.0.1.13) - Please update your current version before filing any bug reports. The installer now includes both 32 and 64 bit versions. No change in version number.

Visit my Blog .. currently not active but it will soon be resplendent with news and views. Also please remove any links you may have to my website. it is soon to be closed and replaced with something else.

Adding some colour to the documentation on Asc() and Chr() .. :whistle:

;--------------------------------------------
;  Just Asc() to have fun with Chr()   :o)))
;--------------------------------------------

_DisplayBase(2, 19)   ;What is the binary equivalent of decimal 19

_DisplayBase(16, 19)  ;What is the hex equivalent of decimal 19

_DisplayBase(8, 19)   ;etc

_DisplayBase(13, 19)   

_DisplayBase(20, 219)  

Exit

Func _DisplayBase($pBase, $pNumber)
;Helper function for _ToBase()
    Msgbox (0,@scriptname, $pNumber & " to base " & $pBase & " = " & _ToBase($pBase, $pNumber))     
EndFunc

Func _ToBase($pBase, $pNumber)
;Converts the decimal $pNumber to base $pBase    

$sX = ""
    Do
        $nNext = Int($pNumber / $pBase)
        $nRem = Mod($pNumber, $pBase)
        If $nRem > 9 then
            $sX = Chr(Asc("A") - 10 + $nRem) & $sX
        Else
            $sX = String($nRem) & $sX
        Endif
        $pNumber = $nNext
    Until $pNumber = 0

Return $sX

EndFunc

UBound function documentation

I originally put in See Also: Dim, but the keyword docs had not yet been written. Could a link now be made?

Log function:

Add comment that if number is less than or equal to 0, @error is set to What? 1?

Sin/Cos/Tan functions:

Remarks:

1 radian = pi / 180 degrees.

BlockInput function

What happens on ME?

Break function

Describe how to break AutoIt V3

ProcessClose function

What happens when more than one instance of a program is running?

If two instances of NotePad are running, what happens when

ProcessClose("notepad.exe")

Thank you.

Edited by Nutster

David Nuttall
Nuttall Computer Consulting

An Aquarius born during the Age of Aquarius

AutoIt allows me to re-invent the wheel so much faster.

I'm off to write a wizard, a wonderful wizard of odd...

• Administrators

I think that the documentation of AUT2EXE needs some updating, perhaps with valid examples.  I still can't get that build script working this way.

; Script Function:
;   Build Backup
;
RunWait ('C:\Program Files\AutoIt3\Aut2Exe\Aut2Exe.exe /in Back.au3 /icon Back.ico')
RunWait ('C:\Program Files\AutoIt3\Aut2Exe\Aut2Exe.exe /in RBack.au3 /icon RBack.ico')
Exit
Im wondering if it's not supposed to be

; Script Function:
;   Build Backup
;
RunWait ('C:\Program Files\AutoIt3\Aut2Exe\Aut2Exe.exe /Back.au3 /Back.ico')
RunWait ('C:\Program Files\AutoIt3\Aut2Exe\Aut2Exe.exe /RBack.au3 /RBack.ico')
Exit

Try

RunWait ('"C:\Program Files\AutoIt3\Aut2Exe\Aut2Exe.exe" /in Back.au3 /icon Back.ico')

As the exe is a long filename.

Thanks Jon;

That wasn't the problem. It turned out that even though the build script and the the /in <script names> were all in the same folder along with the icon files, it needed the path set, so I just added a line at the top of the script.

$a = @ScriptDir

Then used $a & '\' for the file path. It works great now and I have compiled the sript so now it's just a single click to compile the project. instead of having to go though the Aut2exe UI twice.

George

Nutster's remarks are eactly the types of things I was looking for. Please let me know of similar bugs and omissions in the help file :whistle:

See my first post for an updated to-do list.

Edited by CyberSlug
Use Mozilla | Take a look at My Disorganized AutoIt stuff | Very very old: AutoBuilder 11 Jan 2005 prototype I need to update my sig!

More doc problems:

TimerStop function:

What units is the answer given in? Milliseconds?

IsFloat, StringIsFloat functions:

Remarks: More information on what triggers a true.

IsInt, StringIsInt functions:

Remarks: More information on what triggers a true.

Some more docs on using variables and arrays in AutoItV3 should also be put in the Using AutoIt section.

StringIsDigit function

Remarks: Keep in mind that any whitespace or punctuation (including . will cause StringIsDigit to return 0.

StringIsXDigit function

Add to Remarks:

Hexidecimal digits are 0-9, A-F, a-f.

Not all string functions should be considered related to all others.

e.g. StringUpper and StringLower do not need to be in the related lists of StringInStr, StringIsAlNum, StringIsAlpha, StringIsAscii, StringIsDigit, StringIsSpace, StringIsXDigit, StringLeft, StringLen, StringMid, StringSplit, StringTrimLeft, StringTrimRight

StringLen does not need to be considered related to all of those, maybe StringLeft, StringMid, StringRight, StringTrimLeft, StringTrimRight, StringStripCR, StringStripWS

David Nuttall
Nuttall Computer Consulting

An Aquarius born during the Age of Aquarius

AutoIt allows me to re-invent the wheel so much faster.

I'm off to write a wizard, a wonderful wizard of odd...

• Administrators

s'fine.

I looked though the docs again tonight and realised that unless you already knew "about stuff" that all the expression stuff (>< < <> == =, variables, etc) would be very difficult - so I might branch the "language syntax" into it's own topic and explain each in more detail.

Jon, I won't mess with any of the intro stuff--I'll leave that to you--but I have a lot of small changes to the keywords and functions :whistle:

B) Posted Feb7 DocFixes for keywords

Edit: Ack, I had a bug in the IfElseEndIf example. I'll fix it in my next upload.

Fun discovery of the day:

;infinite loop
For $i = 1 to 3 step 0
Next
;executes zero times
For $i = 3 to 1 step 0
Next
Edited by CyberSlug

On StringFormat, The top two items in the "Type" table are the same. This does not seem right, or there is something else not explained on the page.

d Integer Signed decimal integer.

i Integer Signed decimal integer.

George

Posted Feb8 doc fixes

Mostly functions; still have more to do.

Covered IsFloat and StringIsFloat in excruciating detail.... can't AutoIt have regular expressions instead?!? :whistle:

Edited by CyberSlug

On StringFormat, The top two items in the "Type" table are the same.  This does not seem right, or there is something else not explained on the page.

That coming from the windows doc. I don't know if the AutoIt3 format number need this level of differentiation.

Did you test both and see differences?