Generic auto installer possible?

All,

I was wondering if it is possible to make a generic script. As a system administrator on a network, if I want to push out packages and start a silent install, I sometimes run into snags. Sometimes those "silent" installs are anything but silent, and require someone to click a "next" button. I found a way to have AutoIt start the silent installer, but I am not sure about how to then go about watching for buttons to appear and then clicking them to keep the install going. I know this won't take care of every snag, but it will help me get past quite a few of them.

Thanks in advance!

So it isn't possible, after kicking off the install, to watch for windows with a wildcard specified for the name (effectively examining any window that pops up), and looking for them to contain a button with particular text, then click that button?

I was thinking of calling Run() and getting the process id. Then, in a loop to see if the process id is still running, I might be able to get a list of the windows on the screen, and interrogate them for buttons with particular text inside them like "ext" or "inish" (to alleviate case differences), and click those. Does that sound reasonable to anyone?

Just a thought but if you know what the button label would be, couldnt you set up a thing to check the window every so often to see if the button showed up. I'll come up with an example and let you know I need to stop taking these breaks when I come back I have nice ideas but cant remember most of anything lol

A great place to start Autoit 1-2-3

From a guy who was a administrator as well as a all around IT guy, what you are suggesting is a bad idea. If there are any errors on the install, you won't know it. When installing anything, you need to keep track with a log file to see if the install is successful or fails, as well as keeping track of what you install so you can do license harvesting when needed. No point paying for stuff twice.

Now if you wish to make the job easier for yourself, what you need is a software installing hosting mechanism. I have a basic one you can use that I designed, but you will still need to build the packages to populate it. Let me know if you want it and I will PM you with the package.

What does your hosting mechanism provide? By its name, I cannot really tell. However, with what I'm suggesting, I don't really see it as being much different than creating a script for each specific install. Instead of mapping out what you want to click and where, you watch for windows to be created, and look for buttons that say "next" or "finish". It doesn't catch everything, but it sounds like it is worthy of experimentation, at least. It is quite possible that I don't understand all of the implications, so maybe you can tell me: what does the specific script provide regarding errors, etc, that my idea for something more generic won't provide?