solved: run: 32bit ok - 64bit fails with "..is not recognized as an internal or external command..."

Hi there

since hours I can't find the solution to this problem:

I try to check with defrag c: -a if defragmentation is necessary.

$str_l = "C:\"

Local $RunCMD = @ComSpec & " /c " & @SystemDir & "\defrag.exe " & $str_l & " -a"
Local $f01 = Run($RunCMD, @SystemDir, @SW_MINIMIZE, $STDERR_MERGED + $STDOUT_CHILD)

That works fine with XP and Server 2003 32bit. When I start it on a 2003 64 bit machine, I always get the following error:

'C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64\defrag.exe' is not recognized as an internal or external command,operable program or batch file.

So I tried several different ways to give the correct path with the run command, like @WindowsDir & "\system32\defrag.exe", also in the Run-Workingdir Parameter without any success: (and C:\WINDOWS\system32\defrag.exe is definitely the correct path!)

'C:\WINDOWS\system32\defrag.exe' is not recognized as an internal or external command,operable program or batch file.

The Example code works, when I compile the script for x64, but then it won't work on x32 machines. But I need ONE script for both systems....

Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot!

Edited by MBrand

Replace @SystemDir with @HomeDrive & "\Windows\System32" That will work on 90% of your client base.

Otherwise, your going to need to differentiate between x32 and 64.

Maybe you could pack 2 versions of your script in a 'loader' using "FileInstall()"

FileInstall("C:\32bitcompile.exe",@Tempdir & "\32bit.exe")
FileInstall("C:\64bitcompile.exe",@Tempdir & "\64bit.exe")
If @OSArch = "x64" Then
     Run("C:\64bitcompile.exe")
Else
     Run("C:\32bitcompile.exe")
EndIf

These are just quick ideas. >_<

P.S. Make your loader 32bit so it will run on both systems.

Edited by BinaryBrother

SIGNATURE_0X800007D NOT FOUND

Hi,

thanks for the fast reply.

I found a solution for the same issue in a python Forum. It's probably a Windows problem.

It wont't work even with the proper & full path.

So I copied defrag.exe from system32 to the sysWOW64 directory and it worked immediately.

Added a hint for the user:

If @OSArch = "x64" Then
                $szMsg = $szMsg & " ggfls. defrag.exe ins DIR sysWOW64 kopieren"
            EndIf

Just for the record, it's not a Windows 'problem' this is how a 64bit OS deals with a program built for a 32bit architecture... sysWOW64 works a little like emulation. The word 'emulation' is arguable, but none the less... The results you are seeing are quite normal. >_<

Glad to see you figured it out. :(

SIGNATURE_0X800007D NOT FOUND

Hi,

thanks for the fast reply.

I found a solution for the same issue in a python Forum. It's probably a Windows problem.

It wont't work even with the proper & full path.

So I copied defrag.exe from system32 to the sysWOW64 directory and it worked immediately.

Added a hint for the user:

If @OSArch = "x64" Then
                $szMsg = $szMsg & " ggfls. defrag.exe ins DIR sysWOW64 kopieren"
            EndIf

Search for Wow64DisableWow64FsRedirection, it would be the proper solution.