GUICtrlRead issue

OK, I've been away from AutoIt3 for several months (Away from Windows in general, yeah!) and I'm rusty. I use a bash script to create a series of flash cards for use in class. I wanted to create a little AutoIt3 script to do the same thing that I could use on the computers at work, and give to a couple of my fellow teachers.

Anyway, the script should open a Window with three input panes. They are ANSWER, QUESTION, and ANSWER. The top answer is the answer to the last question asked, just for reference. It defaults to the first card.

For some reason, the following script is reading $Question and $TempAnswer, but not $Answer. Please someone tell me what an idiot I am.

By the way, this is using Abiword, just change the "Abi" to "Word" and it should work the same. Thanks.

#include <GUIConstants.au3>
Opt ("WinTitleMatchMode", 2)

Global $Answer = "  "
Global $Question = "  "
Global $TempAnswer = "I have the first card."

While 1
   EnterAQ($TempAnswer)
   Looping()
WEnd

Func EnterAQ($Answer)

GUICreate('Type "END" in ANSWER to exit', 320, 240, @DesktopWidth / 2 - 160, @DesktopHeight / 2 - 45, -1, 0x00000018); WS_EX_ACCEPTFILES

GUICtrlCreateLabel("Answer:", 10, 5)
   $Answer_C = GUICtrlCreateInput($TempAnswer, 10, 25, 300, 40)

GUICtrlCreateLabel("Question:", 10, 70)
   $Question_C = GUICtrlCreateInput("", 10, 90, 300, 40)
   GUICtrlCreateLabel("Answer:", 10, 135)
   $TempAnswer_C = GUICtrlCreateInput("", 10, 150, 300, 40)

$btn = GUICtrlCreateButton("Ok", 10, 200, 60, 20)

GUISetState()

$msg = 0
   While $msg <> $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
      $msg = GUIGetMsg()
      Select
         Case $msg = $btn
            $Question = GUICtrlRead($Question_C)
            $Answer = GUICtrlRead($Answer_C)
            $TempAnswer = GUICtrlRead($TempAnswer_C)
            GUIDelete()
            ExitLoop
      EndSelect
   WEnd

If $Answer = 'END' Then
      Exit
   EndIf

EndFunc  ;==>EnterAQ

Func Looping()

WinActivate("Abi")
   WinWaitActive("Abi")
   Send($Answer)
   Send("Answer: {ENTER}" & $Answer & "{ENTER 2}" & "Question: {ENTER}" & $Question & "!i{ENTER}")
   WinWaitActive("Insert")
   Send("{ENTER}")

EndFunc  ;==>Looping

I know the code is ugly, as mine usually is. If anyone wants to point out my style gaffs, feel free I won't be offended.

OK, I've been away from AutoIt3 for several months (Away from Windows in general, yeah!) and I'm rusty.  I use a bash script to create a series of flash cards for use in class.  I wanted to create a little AutoIt3 script to do the same thing that I could use on the computers at work, and give to a couple of my fellow teachers.

Anyway, the script should open a Window with three input panes.  They are ANSWER, QUESTION, and ANSWER.  The top answer is the answer to the last question asked, just for reference.  It defaults to the first card.

For some reason, the following script is reading $Question and $TempAnswer, but not $Answer.  Please someone tell me what an idiot I am.

By the way, this is using Abiword, just change the "Abi" to "Word" and it should work the same.  Thanks.

#include <GUIConstants.au3>

Opt ("WinTitleMatchMode", 2)

Global $Answer = "  "

Global $Question = "  "

While 1

EnterAQ($TempAnswer)

Looping()

WEnd

Func EnterAQ($Answer)

GUICreate('Type "END" in ANSWER to exit', 320, 240, @DesktopWidth / 2 - 160, @DesktopHeight / 2 - 45, -1, 0x00000018); WS_EX_ACCEPTFILES

GUICtrlCreateLabel("Answer:", 10, 5)

$Answer_C = GUICtrlCreateInput($TempAnswer, 10, 25, 300, 40)

GUICtrlCreateLabel("Question:", 10, 70)

$Question_C = GUICtrlCreateInput("", 10, 90, 300, 40)

GUICtrlCreateLabel("Answer:", 10, 135)

$TempAnswer_C = GUICtrlCreateInput("", 10, 150, 300, 40)

$btn = GUICtrlCreateButton("Ok", 10, 200, 60, 20)

GUISetState()

$msg = 0

While $msg <> $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE

$msg = GUIGetMsg()

Select

Case $msg = $btn

$Question = GUICtrlRead($Question_C)

$Answer = GUICtrlRead($Answer_C)

$TempAnswer = GUICtrlRead($TempAnswer_C)

GUIDelete()

ExitLoop

EndSelect

WEnd

If $Answer = 'END' Then

Exit

EndIf

Return $answer

EndFunc  ;==>EnterAQ

Func Looping()

WinActivate("Abi")

WinWaitActive("Abi")

Send($Answer)

Send("Answer: {ENTER}" & $Answer & "{ENTER 2}" & "Question: {ENTER}" & $Question & "!i{ENTER}")

WinWaitActive("Insert")

Send("{ENTER}")

EndFunc  ;==>Looping

I know the code is ugly, as mine usually is.  If anyone wants to point out my style gaffs, feel free I won't be offended.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

not sure...but I think the func needs to "return" the value of $answer Edited by quaizywabbit
[u]Do more with pre-existing apps![/u]ANYGUIv2.8

not sure...but I think the func needs to "return" the value of $answer

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks, but no. $Answer is a global, so that doesn't matter, I believe. Aside from that, my other two variables which are initialized and read in the same blocks are coming out fine.

For some reason, the following script is reading $Question and $TempAnswer, but not $Answer.  Please someone tell me what an idiot I am.

By the way, this is using Abiword, just change the "Abi" to "Word" and it should work the same.  Thanks.

Global $Answer = "  "

EnterAQ($TempAnswer)

Func EnterAQ($Answer)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The global variable $Answer is not being set because you are using $Answer as a parameter in the EnterAQ function. Since the parameter is not ByRef, it becomes local within the function, and does not escape the function.

Food for thought:

1. Why call the function with one variable, and use another variable for the function parameter? Perhaps you just have the variables mixed-up?

2. Since you are using Globals, why have a parameter for the function?

3. Why use Return in the function if you are not capturing the returned value in the function call? And since the variables are global why return a value?

Phillip

The global variable $Answer is not being set because you are using $Answer as a parameter in the EnterAQ function.  Since the parameter is not ByRef, it becomes local within the function, and does not escape the function.

Food for thought:

1.  Why call the function with one variable, and use another variable for the function parameter?  Perhaps you just have the variables mixed-up?

2.  Since you are using Globals, why have a parameter for the function?

3.  Why use Return in the function if you are not capturing the returned value in the function call?  And since the variables are global why return a value?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The answer to all 3 = because I'm a pretty crappy programmer. Thank you for the answer, obvious after fixing it.