Some questions about COM !?

Hi,

I'm new in COM. May I ask you some questions :

1. Does every application has it own objects and can we always use them ?

2. Where can I find the document/help for the application's object ?

3. When I look at OLE/COM Object Viewer I can't find 'InternetExplorer.Application' only see 'Shell.Explorer' in 'Object Classes->Grouped by Component Category->Control->Microsoft Web Browser' so where does 'InternetExplorer.Application' come from ? Are 'InternetExplorer.Application' and 'Shell.Explorer' the same ?

4. I can't do searching in OLE/COM Object Viewer so it make me hard to find the application's object. Is there any tool more useful then OLE/COM Object Viewer ?

Many thanks !

Ps : I found out InternetExplorer.Application. It's in All Objects -> Internet Explorer(ver 1.0). But now I'm looking fot shell.appilcation and winhttp.winhttprequest.5.1. Where do they come from ?

Edited by trinitrotoluen

No, not every application has a COM object. They are specially designed pieces of code that can be loaded by name instead of by file.

You can find documentation online usually. The MSDN contains everything Microsoft related.

I'm not sure about the naming scheme. I've never quite understood it.

Hi,

Thank you for your help ...

Yes, MSDN contains everything Microsoft related but how about the apps that are not from Microsoft ?

Edited by trinitrotoluen

Hi,

Thank you for your help ...

Yes, MSDN contains everything Microsoft related but how about the apps that are not from Microsoft ?

You can create apps that contain Active X or COM objects however you will have to know who to get them to work within Windows then reference them. I am sure there are examples showing you how to create your own COM objects on the net.

Post your code because code says more then your words can. SciTe Debug mode - it's magic: #AutoIt3Wrapper_run_debug_mode=Y. Use Opt("MustDeclareVars", 1)[topic="84960"]Brett F's Learning To Script with AutoIt V3[/topic][topic="21048"]Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... is now in Session[/topic]Contribution: [topic="87994"]Get SVN Rev Number[/topic], [topic="93527"]Control Handle under mouse[/topic], [topic="91966"]A Presentation using AutoIt[/topic], [topic="112756"]Log ConsoleWrite output in Scite[/topic]

You can create apps that contain Active X or COM objects however you will have to know who to get them to work within Windows then reference them. I am sure there are examples showing you how to create your own COM objects on the net.

Hi,

What do you mean ? I'm not talking about my apps. I'm asking how can find the apps COM info. e.g : how can I get the COM of Yahoo! Messenger ?

It is handy to know how they are registered and used by windows first. Its been a while but I think in MTS you can see what COM objects Windows has registered and when they are being used.

My point is you need to understand more about them. Are you sure Yahoo! Messenger uses a COM object?

Post your code because code says more then your words can. SciTe Debug mode - it's magic: #AutoIt3Wrapper_run_debug_mode=Y. Use Opt("MustDeclareVars", 1)[topic="84960"]Brett F's Learning To Script with AutoIt V3[/topic][topic="21048"]Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... is now in Session[/topic]Contribution: [topic="87994"]Get SVN Rev Number[/topic], [topic="93527"]Control Handle under mouse[/topic], [topic="91966"]A Presentation using AutoIt[/topic], [topic="112756"]Log ConsoleWrite output in Scite[/topic]

It is handy to know how they are registered and used by windows first. Its been a while but I think in MTS you can see what COM objects Windows has registered and when they are being used.

My point is you need to understand more about them. Are you sure Yahoo! Messenger uses a COM object?

What is MTS ? No, I'm not sure if Y!M has a COM (can't find in OLE/COM viewer). I should learn more about COM as I said I'm new in COM.

Edited by trinitrotoluen

Microsoft Transaction Server - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Transaction_Server