Processes when running a child-app

I am creating a script that will create an ISO file using ImgBurn.exe command line options. I think I know how to run the command line (Run("imgburn.exe /?") would bring up the help menu yes?) but i need to hide the imgburn.exe process from the task manager so it doesnt have loads of processes. I dont mind my script showing OR imgburn.exe showing (if i can rename this?) but id rather not have both showing so that it keeps it clean.

Any help is appreciated

Cheers,

FLiNCHY

Edit: Also is the a hide command i can use to stop the cmd line showing and just create a progress bar to make it more user friendly? cheers

Edited by flinchy

This process is well possible but is usually used for exploitations of some kinds and thus the subject gets massively undertaken. If you're so want to do this you won't be able without a nice 2GB SDK from Microsoft (not really) and a decent C\C++ knowledge... There is also not a visible benefit to this behavior and it should be at the hands of the user whether he/she wants to shut any (non system) process he/she is willing to.

Ok i understand your point but im making a GUI so if the user ends the process for imgburn it will mess up the whole gui... or is there a way i could rename imgburn.exe to isocreator and change the description to ISO Creator in progress so that the user knows not to end it?

You can rename the executable name and the process name should be renamed accordingly. Again, this mess up thingy is something you should predict and overcome. For example, what do you think other applications like AV scanners or downloaders should do if the user will suddenly terminate their process? Read this documentation for farther reference. A user process cannot cancel it's own termination, though, a few things are promised to be handled first before the process is eventually shutdown.

ok is there a way i can rename the exe to something like conversion (with no extension) so that users cant just run the file and then just add the .exe bit with the gui?

Also i will try resource hacker to change the Description of the program so that the process description shows what its actually doing

or can i compile the exe INTO my script so that it calls it from within itself not another program?

Edited by flinchy