bash shell to autoit conversion

Hello,

I have a fairly comprehensive unix bash script that I would like to adapt to using in windows. Are there any tools available that would help in the conversion to an AutoIt script?

I have done quite a bit of googling and have read the faqs here but have not found anything on that.

Thank you,

Allasso

Hello,

I have a fairly comprehensive unix bash script that I would like to adapt to using in windows. Are there any tools available that would help in the conversion to an AutoIt script?

I have done quite a bit of googling and have read the faqs here but have not found anything on that.

Thank you,

Allasso

How about just running it in CYGWIN instead?

>_<

Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law

>_<

Now the long version...

I have written a search engine that is part of a package that is a archive of HTML files. This is something peculiar to the community I work in, and the archive is distributed on a DVD and designed to be used on the local machine without a web server. The search engine, which uses a shell script I have written in bash, is all part of the package, and is designed to just be usable "right out of the box", when the archive is loaded on someone's computer. I have it up and running just fine on Mac OSX machines. However there are a few folks here that use Windows machines, and I would like it to be available to them also.

My goal, originally, as I said is for it to work "right out of the box". I didn't want each user to have to download and install cygwin. I am not discounting it, but for me, it would be ideal if I just had a script that ran on Windows just the way it is.

Thanks for your input, and I am not closed to any suggestions.

Allasso

There aren't any automated tools that will help you in the process of converting this that I know. Might end up having to do it by hand.

Okay, thank you. It looks like it may not be that bad anyway. I have been looking through the autoit help files and it seems pretty simple to learn. The help files are really good. There are a number of common GNU tools ported to Windows, eg grep (grep.exe), sed (sed.exe), etc, that are the heart of the script, so maybe I can use those in the script in a way that is similar to what I am used to. We'll see....

Allasso

Edited by Allasso

>_<

One thing I didn't mention with my scenario, is that I am depending on the script being wrapped as an executable. The reason is that the trick that initiates the script from the browser is a window.open statement in javascript, which is called when the user submits the search. This launches an "open with...(application)". I tell it to open a peculiar (made up) mime type, and if the user chooses my script (which is wrapped as an executable) and selects "always use this blah blah..", then from then on, initiating a search will always run the script.

Firefox (and afaik, any other browser) will not allow you to choose a shell script. On the Mac, I used Platypus to wrap the script. If this is also the case on Windows, then the script would have to be made into a standalone executable. This is what drew me to AutoIt in the first place.

Would it not be better to run a webserver and have this interpret the browser's request as a GET or POST? That is the standard way of implementing that kind of functionality. You could use a Linux virtual machine, then you need not convert your existing script. Plus, if the webserver was hijacked the damage would be limited that way.