how to suspend error popup and quietly exit script on error?

karolisk

Hi All,

I'm not so pro in autoit so I do not expect that I will be able to handle all the errors. So if error happens I want script to exit quietly (without popup error message or it to close automatically). (My script is reading some data from database and performing some actions with IE.) (After some time, I will be checking if my script is not running restarting it.)

Please let me know if there is a way to do that, thanks.

Edited by karolisk

In AutoIt it's very simple to handle errors. Everyone can write "error free" code.

I'll give you a quick "tutorial" to writing error free code.

If you have a funciton and you think it might fail ( you can also see if it can fail in the help file ) Then put this after the function:

If @error Then Exit

For example:

$hWnd = WinGetHandle("omglol")
If @error Then Exit

If you are working with arrays you need to add a few checks with UBound. But we'll get to that later.

Congratulations, you can now write error free code. And that's all there is to it!

If you have any specific questions, please come back later.

i think he is talking about getting error in the application being automated. like an unhandled exception dialog in .NET.

the way i handle it is that i have a function where i have written the window headers for all the usual errors that i get. whenever any of these windows exist, my script takes a screenshot, logs what was the last action done and exits. i just call this function after every button click, control interaction etc.

You can't handle all errors (like COM errors) so simply, just by checking '@error' (I'm using this technique). OK, there are other ways to handle them, but 'what if'. I want to be 100% sure that it doesn't get stuck even if I miss something and something goes wrong.

And one more reason: I'm lazy :D. It would be MUCH easier and faster to write code without so much error handling. (I need to learn MUCH to write a good error proof code and I need my script to work reliably now.)

It would be a nice way to avoid many problems if its possible. So, is it possible?

You can't handle all errors (like COM errors) so simply, just by checking '@error' (I'm using this technique). OK, there are other ways to handle them, but 'what if'. I want to be 100% sure that it doesn't get stuck even if I miss something and something goes wrong.

If you want to handle COM errors, you do it like this:

; COM Error Handler example
; ------------------------- 

$oIE=ObjCreate("InternetExplorer.Application.1")    ; Create Internet Explorer application

Global $g_eventerror = 0    ; to be checked to know if com error occurs. Must be reset after handling.

$oMyError = ObjEvent("AutoIt.Error","MyErrFunc")    ; Initialize a COM error handler

$oIE.UnknownMethod      ; Deliberately call an undefined method

If $g_eventerror then
    $g_eventerror = 0
  Msgbox (0,"AutoItCOM test","Test passed: We got an error number: " & @error)
Else
  Msgbox (0,"AutoItCOM test","Test failed!")
Endif

Exit

; This is my custom defined error handler
Func MyErrFunc()

Msgbox(0,"AutoItCOM Test","We intercepted a COM Error !"      & @CRLF  & @CRLF & _
             "err.description is: "    & @TAB & $oMyError.description    & @CRLF & _
             "err.windescription:"     & @TAB & $oMyError.windescription & @CRLF & _
             "err.number is: "         & @TAB & hex($oMyError.number,8)  & @CRLF & _
             "err.lastdllerror is: "   & @TAB & $oMyError.lastdllerror   & @CRLF & _
             "err.scriptline is: "     & @TAB & $oMyError.scriptline     & @CRLF & _
             "err.source is: "         & @TAB & $oMyError.source         & @CRLF & _
             "err.helpfile is: "       & @TAB & $oMyError.helpfile       & @CRLF & _
             "err.helpcontext is: "    & @TAB & $oMyError.helpcontext _
            )

Local $err = $oMyError.number
    If $err = 0 Then $err = -1

$g_eventerror = $err  ; to check for after this function returns
Endfunc

It would be a nice way to avoid many problems if its possible. So, is it possible?

No, it's not possible because it would be redundant. The best way avoid problems is to write code with error checking in the right places.

I tried to put COM handler already, but I get another error then. So I will have to dig deeper into this... or get back to my plan and try to make another background bot.

No, it's not possible because it would be redundant. The best way avoid problems is to write code with error checking in the right places.

I don't see how hiding error popup is redundant. And yes, I don't argue with you that its best. But at the moment I just need a result - never stucking bot.

Here is text of error popup, I want to suspend, in case someone don't understand about what I'm talking about.

---------------------------

AutoIt Error

Line -1:

Error: The requested action with this object has failed.

OK

Edited by karolisk

well I tried it in a bit different way.

now I see that probably my problem was because I called

$ie = _IECreate ("http://onesurvey.com/Voxco.Web/", 1, 1, 1)

after

$oMyError = ObjEvent("AutoIt.Error","MyErrFunc")    ; Initialize a COM error handler

but why??

Edited by karolisk

well I tried it in a bit different way.

now I see that probably my problem was because I called

$ie = _IECreate ("http://onesurvey.com/Voxco.Web/", 1, 1, 1)

after

but why??

It should not make a different.

well, if I do this:

#include <IE.au3>

Global $oMyError = ObjEvent("AutoIt.Error","errHandler")
$ie = _IECreate ("http://google.com", 0, 1, 1)
Exit

it calls "errHandler".

Because an error has happen, I meant to say that it does not make a different as long as AutoIt.Error is before the error.

I don't have any problem.

Everything open just fine (Win7 RTM X86)

well, but it does here. Maybe I will look into this problem when my script will be 'error handled' in other way.

Try this one :

_IEErrorHandlerRegister("MyErrFunc")
$ie = _IECreate ("http://google.com", 0, 1, 1)
Exit

Func MyErrFunc()
    ;$oError =$$oIEErrorHandler.description
EndFunc   ;==>MyErrFunc

IE has its own error handler.

I tried this already but didn't feel much effect.

thanks for help all. For now, I will make second script which will be handling error and restarting script.