Need help with my updater

quake101

Ok, I have built an updater for my current project that is very basic. It checks for a new version via the web then downloads it...blah blah blah....

My question for you guys is, how do you guys update your programs? I had a small problem with pulling the "current" version of the program to compare it to the remote (web) version. My program does not use any registry settings or ini files, so I was thinking something along the lines of internal messages (from main program to updater). Let me know what you guys use and help me get past this small bump so I can get back to coding the good stuff. (I don't know why the little things like this bug me so much, but I spend way too much time on things like this...)

Getting the current version from the web isn't the question... I was asking what's the best/quickest/ect way of storing and reading your program version from an updater program with out using reg or files. :D

Just trying to get an idea of what every is using for their updater with examples.

I was thinking about internal messages but didn't know how I should do that...

Edited by quake101

Here's what I do:

$currentver=1.4
    inetget("http://www.llewxamnai.com/version.ini",@tempdir&"\techver.ini",1)
    $onlinever=IniRead(@tempdir&"\techver.ini","Version","Version","unknown")
    $15changes=IniRead(@tempdir&"\techver.ini","Update","1.5","unknown")
    $16changes=IniRead(@tempdir&"\techver.ini","Update","1.6","unknown")
    if $onlinever>$currentver then
        $dlsize=inetgetsize("http://www.llewxamnai.com/essentials.exe")
        $getnew=msgbox(4,"Update Available","Version "&$onlinever&" is available online, you currently have version "&$currentver&".  Would you like to download the latest version now?"&@crlf&"(the download is "&round(($dlsize/1000000),2)&"MB)"&@CRLF&@CRLF&$16changes&@CRLF&@CRLF&$15changes)
        if $getnew=6 Then
            $wheretosave=FileSelectFolder("Please choose a folder to save the installer","",1)
            $status=GUICreate("Download Progress",250,60)
            $progress=GUICtrlCreateProgress(5,5,240,20)
            $howfar=GUICtrlCreateLabel("",5,35,50,20,$ss_right)
            $howbig=GUICtrlCreateLabel("",55,35,70,20,$SS_LEFT)
            $howfast=GUICtrlCreateLabel("",155,35,90,20,$SS_left)
            GUISetState(@sw_show,$status)
            InetGet("http://www.llewxamnai.com/essentials.exe",$wheretosave&"\essentials.exe",1,1)
            GUICtrlSetData($howbig,"MB/"&round(($dlsize/1000000),2)&"MB")
            $toshow=TimerInit()
            local $sofar
            Do
                if TimerDiff($toshow)>200 Then ;refresh every .2 seconds
                    $msg = GUIGetMsg()
                    if $msg = $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE then Exit
                    $lastlook=$sofar
                    $sofar=@InetGetBytesRead
                    $speed=($sofar-$lastlook)*5                 
                    GUICtrlSetData($progress,($sofar/$dlsize)*99)
                    GUICtrlSetData($howfar,round(($sofar/1000000),2))
                    $toshow=TimerInit()
                EndIf
            until $dlsize=$sofar
            GUIDelete($status)
            msgbox(0,"Done","Finished downloading the new version.  This installer will now exit, please run """&$wheretosave&"\essentials.exe"" to unpack the new installation.  You may also burn it to a CD or transfer it to a USB flash drive for future installation.")
            Exit
        EndIf
    EndIf

So, just have a variable locally in the script and compare it to an INI online. When you make a new version of the app:

Update the version number in the script

Post it to your server

Update the INI on the server with the new version number.

I like having my own GUI so the user doesn't have any copy-paste to browser nonsense, and they don't see the server name....

BTW,the app linked was made in AutoIt, enjoy :D

Hopefully this is what you're after.

Ian

My projects:

• IP Scanner - Multi-threaded ping tool to scan your available networks for used and available IP addresses, shows ping times, resolves IPs in to host names, and allows individual IPs to be pinged.
  • INFSniff - Great technicians tool - a tool which scans DriverPacks archives for INF files and parses out the HWIDs to a database file, and rapidly scans the local machine's HWIDs, searches the database for matches, and installs them.
  • PPK3 (Persistent Process Killer V3) - Another for the techs - suppress running processes that you need to keep away, helpful when fighting spyware/viruses.
  • Sync Tool - Folder sync tool with lots of real time information and several checking methods.
  • USMT Front End - Front End for Microsoft's User State Migration Tool, including all files needed for USMT 3.01 and 4.01, 32 bit and 64 bit versions.
  • Audit Tool - Computer audit tool to gather vital hardware, Windows, and Office information for IT managers and field techs. Capabilities include creating a customized site agent.
  • CSV Viewer - Displays CSV files with automatic column sizing and font selection. Lines can also be copied to the clipboard for data extraction.
  • MyDirStat - Lists number and size of files on a drive or specified path, allows for deletion within the app.
  • 2048 Game - My version of 2048, fun tile game.
  • Juice Lab - Ecigarette liquid making calculator.
  • Data Protector - Secure notes to save sensitive information.
  • VHD Footer - Add a footer to a forensic hard drive image to allow it to be mounted or used as a virtual machine hard drive.
  • Find in File - Searches files containing a specified phrase.

Getting the current version from the web isn't the question... I was asking what's the best/quickest/ect way of storing and reading your program version from an updater program with out using reg or files. :D

Just trying to get an idea of what every is using for their updater with examples.

I was thinking about internal messages but didn't know how I should do that...

Have a look at FileGetVersion(@ScriptName).

If you launch the updater from within your program, just pass the fileversion along and go from there eg:

Local $sProgramVers = FileGetVersion(@ScriptName) ; variable containing the programs version number
Updater(sProgramVers)

If you don't launch the updater from within the program, try using something like FileGetVersion("C:\myprog.exe") from within the updater.